pixeltracker

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010- Page 3

Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway, Opens April 18th, 2010

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#50re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 1:19am

""Arthur must be sharpening his claws!

He's already said he hates this production!"

Yes, thus the "Oh, wait..." in my original post.

I was the one who posted that interview and started that topic, lover. I will hold the flame for Miss Laurents if no one else wants to... and even if they do, they'll have to have a b*tch-off with me for it. Though we all know PalJoey and Ms.L are likethis.

And Arthur has the same problem with this production you do, husk.

P

Updated On: 8/7/09 at 01:19 AM

husk_charmer
#51re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 1:30am

Well, aside from WSS, I've never had an issue with Arthur.

I haven't seen enough of the revival in action to comment about the others, but I feel fairly strongly about Hodge.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

MariusPontmercy Profile Photo
MariusPontmercy
#52re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:13am

Yes, thus the "Oh, wait..." in my original post.

Ah, sorry. I was skim-reading and missed that bit. re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,

The thing about Douglas Hodge that I'm sure will be a contrast to many of the other actors who played Albin (George Hearn, for one!) is that he keeps it very "real". He's playing an over-the-top character, of course, but his performance is 100% realistic. I thought his feminine voice and mannerisms suited the character perfectly - remember that Albin has to find it a real struggle to pass himself off as a heterosexual (in the "Masculinity" scene). Hodge also looked deeply uncomfortable when forced to wear a suit as "Uncle Al". I know some people were/are uncomfortable with the idea of a straight actor playing what is in some ways a very stereotypical (though in no way unrealistic) gay man, and I suppose I can understand that, though I personally didn't find anything about his performance remotely offensive.

Sadly the more I think about it the less chance I think this has of succeeding. The West End production is struggling at the moment with no "names" in the cast (Roger Allam and Philip Quast are big stars in the theatre, but not to the general public) and even when it was on for an alleged "twelve week limited season" with Hodge and Denis Lawson there were plenty of discounts available. I think they'll need a really big name as Georges if it's going to work on Broadway, especially so soon after the last revival. (Remember that the West End hadn't seen this show since 1986, and it flopped then.)

husk_charmer
#53re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 12:08pm

^ It isn't the "straight actor playing gay" issue. Remember, George Hearn was straight. The thing is, for me, "Masculinity" represents the concept of passing as straight, something Albin has never felt a need to do. And the only reason he does it, is for Jean-Michel. He wants to be there, to meet Anne's parents, and knows this is the only way he can do so. He doesn't have to be femme to have that struggle. The struggle comes from the fact that his son can't accept who he is, and in order to be there, he must put on an act. From what I've seen, no actor has felt a need to put on a feminine voice and adopt overly feminine mannerisms to make "Masculinity" work. Even Gary Beach got the point of the song, and I thought he was horrible.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, as I may well be, but didn't the original close because of an act passed by Parliament banning any promotion of homosexuality in the media?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#54re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 12:28pm

Pgenre, I'm confused as to how you can say Laurents has the same problem with this production as husk_charmer, whose comments were all directed at Douglas Hodge's performance

In the article in question, Laurents slammed Graham Norton, who replaced Hodge. How could he dislike a performance he never saw?

Now you're correct in saying that Laurents (in the veign of what husk said) disliked the attitude he thought was taken toward homosexuality by Terry Johnson in shaping this staging, but that had nothing to do with Hodge.

Even in saying that, Laurents went as far as to concede that the approach would have been "all right if they were at least funny." Maybe seeing Hodge in the lead will change his mind, since I'm sure he's a significantly more affecting Albin than Norton.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/7/09 at 12:28 PM

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#55re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 1:31pm

"And, correct me if I'm wrong, as I may well be, but didn't the original close because of an act passed by Parliament banning any promotion of homosexuality in the media?"

No Husk - there was guidance from parliament banning the promotion of homosexuality in schools, which caused a lot of problems as best seen in the brilliant school room scene in Queer As Folk.

The London production failed apparently because of fears surrounding the AIDS epidemic making the show unsellable. However I don't think that's the whole story: most Broadway transfers of that era failed in London (Twentieth Century, Sweeney, Whorehouse, Drood) and La Cage (for some of the reasons Roscoe outlines) was not amongst the most undeserved of them.
Updated On: 8/7/09 at 01:31 PM

husk_charmer
#56re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 2:20pm

^ Aha. Gotcha. The person I got that from must have been confused...like I said, I wasn't sure about that fact.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#57re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 2:57pm

Who else is dying to know what Harvey thinks of all of this?

broadwayworldreader
#58re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 3:38pm

Is anyone else not that excited?

Isn't it just a little too soon to be doing another revival of this? Maybe I'm just not getting the hype...Someone care to explain?

Yankeefan007
#59re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 3:48pm

The hype is surrounding Douglas Hodge, who won the 09 Olivier for his Alban, and the production, which won the 09 Olivier for best revival.

There's nothing wrong with GYPSY and LES MIZ 3 years later but LA CAGE 5 years later gets everyone in a tizzy? Updated On: 8/7/09 at 03:48 PM

husk_charmer
#60re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 3:52pm

I'm not against another revival, I'm just against Hodge.

If I recall, there was a lot of lamenting over Les Miz (which I thought had been termed a return engagement) and Gypsy. However, Gypsy was motivated by LuPone, who most American theatre goers are familiar with. Hodge is a total unknown over here.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#61re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 3:56pm

Will Roger Allam and Philip Quast transfer? If they come, I am all for it.

MariusPontmercy
#62re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:00pm

It's certainly going to be a tough sell for that reason. As I said a lot will depend on who they cast as Georges. Not one chance in a million that it would succeed on "Olivier Award-winning Douglas Hodge"'s name alone, as wonderful as he is in this role.

Any rumours (or even just ideas) for who should play Georges?

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#63re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:01pm

Well, I don't know why Allam would come over unless he was replacing Hodge at some point in the future.

Quast has resisted coming to New York thus far. I'd be excited if he is enticed over the ocean, but I'm pretty doubtful it will happen.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#64re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:03pm

to be honest... how many of you have actually seen the actual performance of this revival in London!!! It's really good... it's not your original/revival big big glam production... but it's more realistic so to speak and I think helps on alot for the script!
Wudn't it b perfect if Philip Quast can transfer with Douglas!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

MariusPontmercy
#65re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:07pm

Will Roger Allam and Philip Quast transfer? If they come, I am all for it.

Roger Allam isn't, unless he comes in after Hodge's six months, which is pretty unlikely. And though Philip Quast is utterly superb as Georges in every possible way, I would imagine they are (sensibly) going to get someone in who Broadway audiences have actually heard of. re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,

husk_charmer
#66re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:37pm

^ Watch, we'll get Tom Wopat...or Brent Barrett...or anyone else who's played Billy Flynn, since the Weisslers are producing.

Yankeefan007
Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#68re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 4:44pm

Tom Hewitt might actually work, but he isn't exactly the stunt casting I'm guessing they're looking for in this case.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#69re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:05pm

This production is very unlike either the 84 original or the 05 revival. For the first time, La Cage is not a glitzy club with generic "girls" who can all do a perfect kick line. This production is much more real and naturalistic ... plus Douglas Hodge is incredible.

I would love to see Tim Curry as Georges.

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#70re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:17pm

For those who have seen this production, can we expect varying "types" for the Cagelles? Heavy, ugly, thin? - unlike the recent revival with Cagelles that actually looked like they could have been women and (for the most part) who were "pretty."

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

JOak Profile Photo
JOak
#71re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:26pm

re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,

In London they are tall and more manly

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
boyfromoz2 Profile Photo
boyfromoz2
#73re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:34pm

They are obviously playing amateur drag queens. Do not expect to be fooled for an instant ... that adds to the charm though.

"In London, they are tall" ... what? Yes Nick Cunningham is a giant, but the rest are not all tall.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#74re: Menier Chocolate Factory's LA CAGE AUX FOLLES To 'Sparkle' On Broadway,
Posted: 8/7/09 at 5:44pm

How about John Barrowman and Philip Quast?! A FIX reunion!

The rumors of JB seem to be gaining momentum... though he also has LOVE NEVER DIES coming up, should he choose to play Raoul on Bway.

Quast is one of the most committed and emotional performers I have ever seen. He rightly earned his Olivier for THE FIX (though he should have tied with JB - he has never been better, except perhaps in COMPANY at the KC).

With either of them I'd be there in a NY minute... and I HATE LaCage.

P

P.S. Thanks for the clarification somethingwicked. That is what I meant... and cheers to you for listening to the Arthur interview more than once to get that info! It must've been difficult, to say the least! DoubleMeow. :)