ALNM & Stubhub

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#1ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 8:40pm

People are already selling tickets to the show on Stubhub for up to $1,000 per ticket. Is this expected to be THAT hot of a ticket? I know it has a top notch cast but $1,000?
Wow

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 8:42pm

Well, I guess this is a predictor that I won't get to see the show, even if I do end up being able to afford normal-priced tickets.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#2re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 8:51pm

Jeez! I wouldn't spend on $1,000 for a ticket to anything. Even if they got 20 of my favorite performers in the same show I wouldn't spend that much. I wonder if this will be that hot of a ticket or not. It could backfire on the scalpers like with All My Sons. Didn't people think Katie Holmes would be a big draw and bought up a bunch of tickets to sell for a greater price but then they had a bit more trouble getting rid of them than they thought.

I want this show to do well, but I also really want to see this myself and I shouldn't be spending >$120 for a ticket. I'm just going to keep praying for some sort of rush or lotto.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 9:00pm

I've been struggling with what show to get my mom tickets to for Christmas. I've been going back and forth between Finian's and Ragtime. But if I could get discounted tickets to ALNM I'd get that in a heartbeat. But if this is any indication I'm probably going to continue my struggle.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Gothampc
#4re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 9:58pm

The producers of ALNM are being jerks. I've searched every performance in January and February and all I'm being offered is orchestra side and last row orchestra. I refuse to believe that in 60+ performances there are not two seats for me to buy.

When cameras start flashing and Z-girl has to Lupown the audience, maybe someone will wise up and say "Maybe reserving all the good seats for tourists isn't a wise idea."

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#5re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 11:09pm

I just did some serious searching on Telechage for the two performances I would be able to attend. There are plenty of seats available, but all at least ten rows back in the orchestra or more. Then I searched for premium seats and found that as far back as the 9th row (out of only 16) is being considered premium. Is it possible that all of those premium seats will sell (I'm looking to go 12/19), or do you think they will eventually be released as regularly priced tickets?

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#6re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 11:40pm

SO is it the producers who are now selling the best seats on Stubhub? Like $300 "premium" seats aren't enough?

If it's NOT the producers, how did the scalpers get their hands on so many excellent seats right through to next June?

Something's very funny here....

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#7re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/19/09 at 11:49pm

Tickets just went on sale today? It could be a very organized group of scalpers because there HAS to be a ticket limit. Or the producers did it themselves.

But you're right, frontrowcentre, something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark.

Updated On: 10/19/09 at 11:49 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#8re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 12:09am

I don't usually pay attention to Stubhub (most of my tickets are comps) but has this been going on for a while? Are all the hits shows offered through Stubhub and inflated rates??

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#9re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 12:16am

I don't know. I only stumbled across it by accident while searching for discounted tickets. I was so surprised by how much people are asking that I wanted to share.

Gothampc
#10re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 12:16am

There is an 8 ticket limit per 30 day purchase. Also, tickets were already on sale to AMEX high end card holders. So if highly organized scalpers wanted tickets, they would work around those criteria: have several credit cards and identities.

Also tickets can be purchased through group sales. I don't know how closely group sales checks to see that they are selling to tour groups or if anyone who wants to buy in bulk can do it.

Like haddaddy3, I did a premium search for several performances and found that approximately rows B-L Center Orchestra are being held as high priced premium seats for those willing to pay $300. I'm sure they will eventually be released to the lower prices, but I still think the producers are jerking ticket buyers around.

It's hard to tell if the producers are directly feeding tickets to Stubhub.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 10/20/09 at 12:16 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 2:53am

What StubHub is doing by prematurely posting tickets at $1,000 is creating a speculated market. In other words, in the event that this revival IS as huge as expected, this $1,000 would be a bluff-come-true (shoot high and see if someone bites). Remember, back in April 2001, companies like StubHub (which is basically a ticket broker outlet) were getting $1,400 per ticket for the brand-new THE PRODUCERS without ANY problem. I remember in literally less than 3 hours, the morning after the show opened to raves and to huge lines outside the St. James Theatre, prices thru ticket brokers started at $300 per ticket around 11am. By 2pm, those same seat locations rose to $1,400 per ticket AND they couldn't keep them in stock. THIS madness is what gave birth to the Premium Seating option that now exists. Before THE PRODUCERS, this never existed.

Due to the current economic state of this country (and the world, for that matter), that current $1,000 asking price will plummet to more than half that once the show arrives on Broadway. Ticket brokers are no longer charging astronomical prices they once did since many can't nor will pay those crazy prices anymore. Since they can't sell them, this explains how and why you can get sensational last-minute tickets are low prices thru them. They feel its better to get something for them than lose their entire investment -- thus they are selling tickets they paid $350 for at $100.

There you have it, folks. re: ALNM & Stubhub

whatever2
#12re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 9:58am

shows how clueless i am ... i figured there'd be discount codes after the holidays.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Gothampc
#13re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 10:38am

"shows how clueless i am ... i figured there'd be discount codes after the holidays."

There still might be discounts. This show is opening in December. January is the worst month for Broadway and it's looking like this winter is going to shape up to be a cold, bitter winter.

Also, non-theater people aren't as familiar with ALNM. Older people know "Send in the Clowns" because every singer in the 1970s sang it on every variety show. But younger audiences may not warm to the style of ALNM seeing it as more like opera than Rent.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 11:41am

^ Such good points. I really hope there is a discount. Or hopefully a fantastic rush/lotto. Some younger people ARE excited for this show, but we cannot afford $137 dollar tickets.
Updated On: 10/20/09 at 11:41 AM

ALittlePriest Profile Photo
ALittlePriest
#15re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 12:21pm

The Fact of the Matter is, This is a very highly anticipated show, and they had a record-breaking amex presale, so I would naturally expect few circumstances where good seats would be easily available. If people want to sit in center orchestra, get premiums. Otherwise, lower your standards a bit. This is a big Sondheim revival.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#16re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 12:25pm

Some younger people ARE excited for this show, but we cannot afford $137 dollar tickets.

Quite right. For Christmas I am giving my mother a weekend in New York. I'm paying for her hotel room, one meal, and a show with no help from my siblings. I'd love for that show to be ALNM but After the hotel room I have to get her something that's discounted

WOSQ
#17re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 2:12pm

The absolute first people to get a whack at tickets to a new show (before AmEx pre-sale and before the BO opens) are the theatre parties and group sales. A Little Night Music is a good theatre party show since those who buy party tickets usually skew older (and richer).

What is termed a 'party pull' of seats is a chunk of prime orchestra seats reserved by a party agent for their client. A party pull even grabs up to half the usual house seats. Since these seats do not have to be paid for right away, it is better to reserve too many than too few. This is one more explanation why prime seats show up later than when the BO opens.

If I were a theatre party lady (and almost all of them are in fact women) I'd book Night Music before, say, Memphis.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

fafolguy Profile Photo
fafolguy
#18re: ALNM & Stubhub
Posted: 10/20/09 at 5:10pm

I just purchased a ticket for a Saturday night in December before the official opening. Second row center mezz for the regular price. That's a big part of why I decided a preview of this show would be good enough for me and decided to take my trip in December.

White, a blank page or canvas. His favorite - so many possibilities. F--- you, Ms. Johnson. Word.