ADDAMS FAMILY problem

Felm_heart Profile Photo
Felm_heart
#50re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 7:28pm

I hate to be "that guy," but I keep hearing about the recording of this show. I would gladly accept a private message. Thank you in advance.

whatever2
#51re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 8:25pm

> A "/" in the English language denotes a separation of the two terms.

separation is only one possible use of the virgule. it can connote either conjunction or disjunction, and in fact at least one grammar authority helpfully notes that, "slashes are far too common, and almost always betray a lazy thinker: by yoking two words together with a slash, the writer tells us the words are related, but he or she doesn't know how."

http://ethnicity.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/s.html

i leave it to those more important and less foolish than I to divine the intent of the Recording Academy nearly 20 years ago when it invoked the virgule, but there is, at least grammatically, more than one possibility.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)
Updated On: 11/23/09 at 08:25 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#52re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 8:34pm

Pgenre, actually, neither Jo nor I were wrong in this situation. If you understood that there are different spellings for the same word, then you would understand that we are actually both right in this situation.

For example, we in the US, spell the word "center" as center. However, the rest of the english speaking world would spell it centre. Both correct and neither one wrong. However, if you so desired to go to a more related topic when it comes to spelling. Take a look at the world Theater. Most people who are interested in the art form including us spell it with the r and e reversed. However, that is just for making it fancy and upscale and doesn't actually change what the word means.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

whatever2
#53re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 8:41pm

winston: i think what you're saying is true for blond/e (props for the clever use of the slash, yeah?) generically ... but if the title of the show is spelled with the "E", and someone is referring to the show, then i think they have to spell it as intended.

if there were a show that spelled "centre" the british way, you'd have to use that spelling when referring to the show, dontchya think?

the references to "blond" in this thread have been specific to the show, so i suspect the correct -- or would it be better to say preferred? -- spelling of "Blonde" in this instance would be with the "E".

also, the lead was a chick, so she'd be a blonde, not a blond. re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem

just my $0.02.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#54re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 9:26pm

OMG.

Yes blonde can be spelled with or without an 'e'. Theater and Center can be spelled ending as 'er' or 're'. You're right on the money and thank you for stating it so well and rationally.

Now back to 'The Addams Family' And perhaps some of that tact and grace that was used to hopefully close today's spelling lesson can be used to discuss this new musical work. You all are giving me a headache.
Updated On: 11/23/09 at 09:26 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#55re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 10:08pm

"Pgenre, actually, neither Jo nor I were wrong in this situation. If you understood that there are different spellings for the same word, then you would understand that we are actually both right in this situation. "

I speak French and I am well aware of grammatical rules in both French and English. Your point is moot: Elle is female, it's blonde with an E. I can't believe there is this much discussion about this.

P

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#56re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 10:09pm

And, the fact that you speak french is moot as well.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#57re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 10:11pm

Tbe last 6 posts are moot.

P

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#58re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 10:23pm

You saying I speak french, has NOTHING at all to do with a conversation about spelling words in English.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#59re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 10:26pm

"For example, we in the US, spell the word "center" as center. However, the rest of the english speaking world would spell it centre. Both correct and neither one wrong. However, if you so desired to go to a more related topic when it comes to spelling. Take a look at the world Theater. Most people who are interested in the art form including us spell it with the r and e reversed. However, that is just for making it fancy and upscale and doesn't actually change what the word means."

P.S. The conversation is about THE ADDAM'S FAMILY (and ostensibly LEGALLY BLONDE). Updated On: 11/23/09 at 10:26 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#60re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:04pm

Yes, it was. Until you said something that was wrong and I was giving points to prove that fact.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#61re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:05pm

Isn't there an usher at THE LITTLE MERMAID for you to harass?

::HUGE SIGH::

P

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#62re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:18pm

Let's see, where do I begin. Unlike you, if I am going to insult based upon actual events, I would get the facts straight first. Second off all. Don't be a Dick. By resorting to childish insults you have proven to me that you're wrong by the fact that you are unable to come up with a logical rebuttal to that which I have said.

It's okay to be wrong at times. However, it is annoying to those around you that you won't admit it.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#63re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:28pm

12 moot posts in this thread now.

P

P.S. It's still LEGALLY BLONDE.
Updated On: 11/23/09 at 11:28 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#64re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:30pm

So... how 'bout that Addams family? Aren't they creepy?

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#65re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/23/09 at 11:33pm

My fav. parts are the blondes and the rock-gospel music.

And the apparent similarities to both INTO THE WOODS and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU.

P

#66re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 11:05am

This discussion should be about the Adams Family.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#67re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 11:55am

Joe, you're right. However, honestly can you ever think of a thread where the entire length of the thread stayed on topic at all :)

whatever2
#68re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 2:33pm

> 12 moot posts in this thread now.

um, you appear to be counting my post about slashes, which in fact has nothing to do with the little tete-a-tete between you and winston.

or, admittedly, the addams family.

but threads wander sometimes.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#69re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 4:12pm

Wow, aren't the Addams Family members spooky too?

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#70re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 8:07pm

No, I disagree. The Addams are more "kooky" than "spooky". you're glib.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Hank
#71re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 8:33pm

Are you kidding?
I'm an old fan of the TV show, but everything you just mentioned, (cel phones, cougars) just makes me want to see this show even more.

broadwaypink
#72re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 9:24pm

Im just so excited. i really cant wait to see some video. i need to get my tickets soon!!

Jaynrand Profile Photo
Jaynrand
#73re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 11:17pm

And their house is a museum.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#74re: ADDAMS FAMILY problem
Posted: 11/24/09 at 11:24pm

when people come to see um;
they really are a scream,I hear.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!