Kate Baldwin

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:18pm

Just got her exquisite Lane & Harburg CD "Let's See What Happened" in the mail. It is a delight top to bottom. This is true musical theatre singing at its best and I recommend this to anyone interested in true theatre music sung by one of our brightest new stars. I'm so looking forward to seeing her this Winter in Finian's Rainbow.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:24pm

I was in Barns and Noble at Lincoln Square on either monday or tuesday filling out a job application. Turned out it was the same day that they had the original cast of Sound Of Music there. I had found out while sitting there that they have a TV in the coffee shop area where I was sitting so that if the event space is too full, people can go up there and watch it. I was interrupted by Kate doing the most marvelous rendition of the show's title song a capella and I was blown away. She truly is an amazing talent and I wish her nothing but the best from here on in.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:32pm

So you're saying you wished her the worst before that?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:36pm

What I meant was I wish her well from this point forward. In other words her role in Finian's is her first leading role on Broadway and may there be many more to come.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:42pm

Nice attempt to cover but we all now know how you really feel about poor Kate Baldwin.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:49pm

Bobby, I have to agree that Kate Baldwin's solo CD is incredibly lovely. It's very quickly becoming one of the most played albums on my iPod.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#6re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 8:58pm

The CD is wonderful and she is a real talent...I got to see her in Finian's Rainbow and absolutely loved her.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 10:57pm

I bought this on iTunes the other day. I LOVE it. I've only seen her in White Christmas, but have been a fan ever since.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwaylvsong
#8re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/21/09 at 11:34pm

This is absolutely amazing:

How are Things in Glocca Morra (new arrangement)

kate86 Profile Photo
kate86
#9re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 4:30am

oh i am so glad i am not the only person who loves the cd and adores kate. i always feel like no one gets how amazing she is.

4-11-10 Wicked (Oberhausen) ~ 8-7-10 Promises, Promises ~ 8-8-10 Next to Normal ~ 8-12-10 Bway @Bryant Park ~ 8-15-10 Jersey Boys + Sing for the Cure ~ 8-18-10 American Idiot ~ 8-19-10 Wicked Divas (Murney/Mackey) in Saratoga Springs, NY ~ 8-21-10 Next to Normal ~ 8-23-10 Natalie Weiss @Birdland ~ 8-24-10 Wicked ~ 9-4-10 Wicked (Oberhausen)

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#10re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 5:45am

I saw Finian's Rainbow today and I have to say by far Kate is the stand-out and saving grace of this production. I could not take my eyes off of her, truly talented and overall just captivating.

She does however get an F for her BC/EFA speech delivery tonight. She was very flustered, and at a loss for words when talking about the items that were available. Cheyenne told the audience that, "It was a two-show day, she's very tired" and came to her rescue. Her slight clueless delivery was cute and the audience got a laugh out of it, but when you're trying to raise money for charity - just try a little harder.

(more on Finian's:)
She and Christopher Fitzgerald were the stars of this production. Cheyenne Jackson left me cold. I will say I didn't feel the chemistry between the two, and the romance/relationship as a whole felt forced down our throats so much that I wanted to gag. Also, stick me in the minority but I didn't think Terri White did anything fantastic on stage tonight. Her solo number "Necessity" was sung well but I didn't think it brought down the house by any means. Also, there were a few flubs tonight. During the quick change scene one of the dresses didn't come off when it should have so the actor just ripped it off center stage. One of the yellow over-sized credit slips got snagged on the leaf curtain and when the curtain came down the paper just floated down before noisily hitting the ground. I know things like that happen in shows all the time (even at today's In The Next Room matinee, as Laura Benanti fluffed a couch pillow one of the buttons flew off) and perhaps I noticed them that much more because I wasnt engaged by the show. Overall, I didn't care for this production. Fortunately, I paid student rush price. I will say the curtain is GORGEOUS.
Updated On: 11/22/09 at 05:45 AM

musicalsFan
#11re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 7:12am

Saw Finian's Rainbow last week, and I agree that I didn't feel any chemistry between her and Cheyenne Jackson. She is lovely in it though.

She was also a bit flustered at the BCEFA speech as well, but not as flustered as at your performance.

Playing her CD a lot too. I would love to hear her in concert, but there is no way I am paying $100+ for Feinstein's.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#12re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 8:19am

I was there last night as well dshnookie. It was my second time. I thought her curtain speech was cute. And honestly, I know this is going to sound like an excuse, but it is actually very hard to speak normally when you've spent 5 hours that day speaking with an Irish accent and vocabulary and you are given about 5 seconds to fall back out of it. If the girl had 10 minutes to reset after the show, she would have been fine. In any case, I found it endearing.

Also, I didn't think Chris Fitzgerald was on his game last night. Don't get me wrong, he was still fantastic. But he definitely sounded sick to me. He was very funny, but it wasn't his best performance musically. I hope he gets better soon. Cheyenne was easily the worst last night, but I still love him. Terri White was FIERCE last night! But yes, Kate is still the star of this show for me.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#13re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 12:12pm

"but when you're trying to raise money for charity - just try a little harder."

Really? REALLY??

When I think about you, I touch myself.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#14re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 2:04pm

MusicSnob1 - Yes, really.

bjh2114 - I very much liked her Irish accent :) It was cute that she said, "Maybe I should say it in Irish [accent]." I wasnt put off by her delivery by any means, I just figure so many weeks into the fundraising she'd have it down pat. Hardly a big deal for me, just felt like sharing.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#15re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 4:47pm

The "really" was in response to your bratty and ignorant comment.

Being flustered has absolutely nothing to do with trying to raise money, for a charity. Get over it. It was a silly little speech and Kate Baldwin possibly being unprepared and/or tired (ableit IRRELEVANT) will not deter the general public from supporting a wonderful Foundation.

There's no need to complain about it. You were trying to make such a big deal out of it. Enough with the d-r-a-m-a.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#16re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 4:59pm

who's making a big deal about it?

Relax.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#17re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 5:15pm

I felt inclined to write my first ever fan letter (I've been a Braodway fan for many, many years) to Ms. Baldwin. Is she pretty gracious to her fans? I sent her a copy of my cd (well, sans the cd of course) to sign.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#18re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 5:18pm

I didnt stage door that evening but I did walk past the theatre after seeing a matinee and stopped for a moment to see Kate Baldwin signing autographs and holding conversations with the audience/fans. She seems like a complete sweetheart.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#19re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 5:30pm

To give you an idea about Kate's personality, one of my favorite theater memories have to do with being at Wall to Wall Sondheim. I left my seat to go to the restroom and when I came out, I noticed a girl with reddish hair standing by the merchandise table. She was looking at a poster and we started talking. I looked at her closer and said "Did I just see you at Opening Doors at Carnegie Hall?" and she replied yes and introduced herself as Kate Baldwin. We continued speaking and I realized that she had just sung "The Miller's Son". Regardless she was perfectly lovely and still is!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 5:37pm

I adore her "Miller's Son".

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#21re: Kate Baldwin
Posted: 11/22/09 at 9:31pm

I would KILL to hear her sing that live.

Videos