pixeltracker

Parts of A Show That I Never Got- Page 4

Parts of A Show That I Never Got

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#75re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 2:39am

Re: the Diana/Doctor bit in N2N.

I kinda thought Diana was making a joke with implying that the doctor was prescribing medicine IN ORDER to curb her sex drive. Like it was a favor to her/flirting. I didn't really hear it as being serious from her, especially with Alice Ripley's delivery.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#76re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 8:09am

Can I just say that it's hard to say ANYONE'S interpretation is wrong? One might disagree with you and even find logical ways to poke holes in your idea, but that's the beauty of art. It's what it is to you.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AndAllThatJazz22
#77re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:11am

*Spoiler Alert*
In my beloved "Spring Awakening", I've always had my own interpretation as to why Wendla wants to be beaten, but I've never understood why Melchior gets SO into it while he beats her. Can anyone give me their own thoughts?

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#78re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:29am

In Ragtime, I never understood the little boy's clairvoyance. It's never explained anywhere in the show.

Roscoe
#79re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:33am

Tom, the little boy's clairvoyance is an element in the novel as well. He's telekinetic too, there's a little moment where he makes a hairbrush move by itself. It serves mainly to bring the novel more or less back to its beginnings, as Houdini remembers the boy's warning about the Duke and rushes back to the house, only to find it closed up. Another frustration.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#80re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:03am

"He's telekinetic too, there's a little moment where he makes a hairbrush move by itself."

What is this, CARRIE?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Roscoe
#81re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:14am

"What is this, CARRIE?"

Nope. RAGTIME by E.L. Doctorow.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#82re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:18am

I get the buying gravity meaning - I just don't like the line. It seems convenient and forced to me.

Another lyric I never quite got: from West Side Story Anita sings "A boy who kills cannot love, a boy who kills has no heart"

Does she not know that Bernardo killed Riff first? Or if she does know, does she just choose to ignore it in her hatred of Tony? It seems to me that A)Tony would have told Maria what happened by that point, and she would have told Anita, B)if Anita knew the truth of the matter, I would think she would realize the irony of her own words...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

bwaylvsong
#83re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:43am

^Only a Brandeisian would have a quip with a WSS lyric re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got

StageManager2
#84re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:49am

I realize that, Roscoe. It just reminded me of that scene in the CARRIE musical, when she's getting ready for the prom and makes her hairbrush fly in the air while singing "I'm Not Alone."

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Roscoe
#85re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:26pm

Yeah, I remember that from CARRIE, then the dress came out and started dancing, man oh man. RAGTIME the show just settles for that kid yelling out "WARN THE DUKE!!!!" every few minutes.

Updated On: 12/24/09 at 12:26 PM

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#86re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:29pm

"Tom, the little boy's clairvoyance is an element in the novel as well. He's telekinetic too, there's a little moment where he makes a hairbrush move by itself. It serves mainly to bring the novel more or less back to its beginnings, as Houdini remembers the boy's warning about the Duke and rushes back to the house, only to find it closed up. Another frustration."

Ah...so you had to have read the novel to know that? That was element that was completely eliminated from the film.
Updated On: 12/24/09 at 12:29 PM

StageManager2
#87re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:34pm

"Yeah, I remember that from CARRIE, then the dress came out and started dancing, man oh man."

Was BILLY ELLIOT inspired by CARRIE, too?

"RAGTIME the show just settles for that kid yelling out "WARN THE DUKE!!!!" every few minutes."

IS that what he yells to Houdini in the prologue and Houdini goes, "What did you say?"

Someone burned me a copy of the OBCR and I recently started listening to it for the first time, but I couldn't make out what the kid said. Kinda random. Is that a reference to the Archduke Ferdinand?

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

Roscoe
#88re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 12:50pm

Yes, it is a reference to the Archduke Ferdinand. In the novel, the little boy gazes into the headlight of Houdini's car and says "Warn the duke." This is years before the assassination, of course, the kid can't have any idea of what he's saying.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#89re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 2:15pm

Andallthatjazz, I agree with you on SA. That is one of many plot points/character motivation things I don't get.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#90re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 3:09pm

From ANNIE:

Betcha they're young
Betcha they're smart
Bet they collect things
Like ashtrays, and art.

Was there really a trend for collecting ashtrays?

StageManager2
#91re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 3:20pm

I don't doubt it. I've known a couple people who collected paperweights. And I used to have a keychain collection.

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia

ghostlight2
#92re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 3:50pm

I've mentioned this in other threads, but just what the hell is Val's friend the Radio City Music Hall chorus girl in A Chorus Line doing going home for Christmas long enough to get knocked up? Don't they have some ninety-odd shows a day during the Xmas season? And why would she never go back? Did she instantly intuit she was preggers and decide that she wanted to change her lifestyle on the spot?

Drives me crazy every time I hear that part of the story.

Hey, Morosco.

" Bet they collect things
Like ashtrays, and art".

"Was there really a trend for collecting ashtrays"? - morosco
"

I think they just liked the way the lyric sounded. It does scan well. Or maybe it's the kind of thing a poor orphan might imagine that rich people collect? It sounds like a non-sequitor, but it actually makes a little sense. Poor people use whatever's to hand for an ashtray, but rich people - they have ornate crystal ashtrays. Cast iron ones. Might sound exotic to them. Like having a fancy expensive garbage can. It's a luxury. Even the things that the rich use to dispose of their refuse is expensive and beautiful.

And I don't know about trends, but I collect ash trays (inherited the habit from an uncle), and I know others that do.

Updated On: 12/24/09 at 03:50 PM

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#93re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 4:05pm

*Spoiler Alert*
In my beloved "Spring Awakening", I've always had my own interpretation as to why Wendla wants to be beaten, but I've never understood why Melchior gets SO into it while he beats her. Can anyone give me their own thoughts?

Let's face it, Melchior has a certain amount of violence in him. I find the sexual relationship between him and Wendla to be even MORE violent than this. Just because Wendla doesn't physically resist doesn't mean that he isn't taking advantage of her total, complete ignorance. He's not a peaceful soul, and I've always understood a certain implication of the show to be that sexual ignorance and repression is something that helps breed destructiveness and violence.

Hell, he might just like a little S&M.

eatlasagna
#94re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 4:25pm

in RENT when Collins says "I like boys" and Angel says "boys like me"... now is he responding to Collins by saying that Collins likes boys like Angel or is Angel saying that boys like him... or is it both?

and during life support when Paul says to Gordon "why choose fear"... why does he ask that? at what point did Gordon say he was afraid for him to ask that?

and before Tango Maureen... when Joanne tells Mark "she's 3 hour late".. is she referring to Maureen or the engineer?

yeah so I just saw RENT last week and all these questions just popped in my head! haha Updated On: 12/24/09 at 04:25 PM

StageManager2
#95re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 5:53pm

I can answer one.

"and before Tango Maureen... when Joanne tells Mark 'she's 3 hour late'.. is she referring to Maureen or the engineer?"

I watched the movie recently, and in that Joanne says "Wait! He's 3 hours late" instead, so it's a reference to the engineer. Besides, just before that she says, "I've already called an engineer" so why would she then be referring to Maureen?

Salve, Salve Regina
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 12/24/09 at 05:53 PM

RachelO Profile Photo
RachelO
#96re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:23pm

You're all just going to laugh at this.
And I know that it has absolutely no importance.
But it drives me insane just about every time I hear it.
Blood In The Water.

"You're nothing until the thrill of the kill" becomes your only law.
OR
You're nothing until "the thrill of the kill" becomes your only law.

So would their law be the statement "You're nothing until the thrill of the kill", or would it simply be the concept of "the thrill of the kill"?

...talk about over analyzing.
Updated On: 12/24/09 at 10:23 PM

rmusic11322
#97re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:32pm

RachelO:

I don't entirely understand what your problem is with the song. DO you mind breaking it down more. :)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#98re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 10:35pm

The second is the only one that makes sense, consider the structure

1."_____" becomes your only law.

2.You're nothing until "_____" becomes your only law.

Analogy: 1. "Fame" is achieved
2. You're nothing until "Fame" is achieved

On their own, 2 is the only one that makes sense (if its purpose was telling someone they can achieve Y if and only if X).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/24/09 at 10:35 PM

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#99re: Parts of A Show That I Never Got
Posted: 12/24/09 at 11:16pm

Fable in LITP has always confused me. I don't understand what her conclusion is. I've seen the show watched videos and lyrics....help!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.