pixeltracker

Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny

Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny

AngryYoungMan
#1Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 2:08pm

First off, I am a HUGE Mitch Jarvis fan. His work in Rock of Ages is extraordinary. I've been fortunate that every time I've seen the show (5 times), I've caught Jarvis as Lonny. Every time until last week however...

When I heard Jarvis was going to be out, I was hoping for Michael Minarik who usually fills in for Lonny who I've heard does a wonderful and refreshing take on the role. But when I saw Matthew Stocke on the board, I was very surprised but optimistic.

He was awful. Don't get me wrong, he has a lovely singing voice. But his presence and delivery of the lines...ugh. He was trying way too hard to be Mitch and ended up really sweating out there. 80% of the time he wasn't receiving any laughs from the audience. Can you imagine? Lonny carries the show and has most of the jokes!

Everyone else was absolutely fantastic, save Jenifer Foote as Regina (also an understudy) who sucked every bit of humor out of the role.

Has anyone else seen Stocke? What did you think of him?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 2:22pm

Mitch Jarvis IS Rock of Ages!!! I couldn't imagine the show w/o him. I truly think he should've won a Tony for his performance. He is brilliant and unique.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#2Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 4:03pm

Saw Minarik on for Lonny and he was awful, too.

StarUsher Profile Photo
StarUsher
#3Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 4:33pm

I saw ROA twice, once with Mitch Jarvis and once with Matthew Stocke. I would say overall I liked Mitch's performance better but I thought Matthew was pretty good. He certainly broke the 4th wall and ad libbed more but the whole cast was kind of in a playful mood the night I was there so it's hard to say if it wasn't just that performance.

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#4Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:05pm

I saw Michael Minarik as Lonny. I think he did a good job. I really liked him. However, I agree that Mitch Jarvis is the best. He is absolutely hilarious.

Barney Stinson
#5Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:14pm

I've seen Minarik in the role - he does it his own way - no Jarvis impersonation, and i works for him, I thought he was great.

Haven't seen Stocke, but if he's doing a Jarvis impression (which is kind of a Jack Black impression), I could see it coming off pretty bad. He should do like Minarik and make Lonny his own.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#6Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:42pm

I saw Minarik too. Initially I was really disappointed that Jarvis was out but I really enjoyed Michael's performance.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#7Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 5:53pm

Also saw Michael Minarik as Lonny and thought he was fine. I am a big fan of Mitch, and I appreciate how Minarik like someone said did not try to copy him.

ILuv2shop531
#8Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 6:45pm

I have Seen Stocke as Dennis, and he actually was very great in that part. It was my first time so I can't compare him to Adam, but I did not see any problems.

vlegra
#9Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 7:13pm

I saw Emily Padgett as Sherie and WOW what a voice and what an actress. The role is cheesy but She really was the best understudy I have EVER seen on Broadway or on tour. Emily Padgett is a MUST see in Sherrie if you are a fan of the show.

She only plays Sunday performances covering Kerry Butlers religious holiday.

She is a real treat.

Mitch Jarvis is Rock Of Ages

Barney Stinson
#10Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 8:59pm

EP is great, I agree. And I wouldn't even call her an understudy, she is on every Sunday no matter what. Plus fills. Hopefully she'll be takingover full time when KB leaves.

Anyone see Minarik when he was in for Stacee Jaxx?

AngryYoungMan
#11Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 9:12pm

Definitely interested to hear how Minarik was as Stacee Jaxx! He was in for a whole week.

How is Emily Padgett as Waitress #1??

alangenf Profile Photo
alangenf
#12Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 9:55pm

Saw Stocke on Feb. 15. He was brilliant. I was really looking forward to seeing Jarvis, but with Stocke as the only u/s on that night I was greatly pleased. I spoke with him after the show and he said it was only his 4th time going on as Lonny, so considering that I was even more impressed. Chemistry could have been a bit better between Lonny and Dennis, but vocals were great and he ad-libbed in the right places.

P:S: ushers were horrible

lstbutifulgrl2
#13Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 11:00pm

i've seen a ton of understudies at RoA, the only "train wreck" i've seen was Jennifer as Regina... HORRIBLE. I mean how hard is it to remember the words to "We're Not Gonna Take It" (i've seen her twice, she was horrible both times).

Michael Minarik was my first Lonny, so I hold a special place for him. I think his Lonny is hysterical. He brings a different energy to the stage whenever he is on, and I've seen him as Primo, Mayor, Lonny, Hertz and Stacee. Someone asked about his Stacee, it was magical. One of the funniest things I've seen. James is out on vacation again soon and he *may* be going on again for a few shows, he's not sure.

As for Stocke as Lonny, IMO he plays it very different than Mitch. I thought he was hysterical. He ad-libs more and his line delivery is different. I saw him 3 times during this last time he was on (he was on randomly one night the week before Mitch was out) and I thought the show on 2/18 was his best one.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#14Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/23/10 at 11:36pm

I haven't seen Rock of Ages since Savannah Wise was Sherrie, but I have seen Matt Stocke play Glen in Wedding Singer and I also saw him on the Titanic tour years ago. He was certainly a lot different than Richard Blake as Glen because he's not as attractive, so it seems as if Julia really was into him for the money. It wasn't the best role for him. I think he would be really funny as Lonny though.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

muscle23ftl
#15Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 1:05am

Some ushers are indeed horrible. But I their boss is the one that makes them get that way.

Anyways, I saw the show tonight and Jeremy Woodard was the only understudy playing Stacey Jaxx and was amazing!!! Maybe James is a tiny bit better, but they are both wonderful.

Thank goodness everyone else was in, I celebrated my roommate's and my birthday seeing this delightful show once again. Glad that Constantine, Michele, Lauren, and Mitch were in. Mitch is just too good for words.

But I want to say hurry and see Kerry Butler before she leaves the show, I don't know what to say, her "Sherrie" has really grown on me. I think she is actually the best Sherrie, I only got to see Emily Padgett and she was terrific, but vocally and acting wise Kerry is just magnificent.

I recommend everyone to catch Kerry before she is gone, she is a jewel, and a sweet woman at the stage door, very down to earth despite being maybe the biggest star in the cast right now. Wonderful!!!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#16Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 1:07am

Mitch Jarvis is close to, if not, the number one on my list of favorite performers/people (for those who don't know.) He IS Lonny Barnett, and such an integral part of what makes the show so great. I can't really imagine another actor's take on the role, but I've always wanted to see what it would be like. One of these days.

I've seen Stocke in as Hertz before and was pleasantly surprised. He was a sweetheart at the door aswell. I have yet to see Michael Minarik though.

My favorite understudy ever would probably be Jeremy Woodard as Stacee. Pure Excellence!!

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

muscle23ftl
#17Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 1:20am

Were you there tonight????

I agree a 100% about Mitch. He told me he is in the show until SEP for sure. I think he should've won a Tony. He really makes the show somehow.

By the way, not sure if it's because of the 2 for 1 promotion or what, but the show was nearly sold out tonight. So try to get tix to see Kerry's last weeks. She is amazing.

froggy2
#18Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 2:57am

I saw Stocke as Dennis and thought he was incredible - I'm definitely curious to see him as Lonny, though I'd imagine it must be tough to fill Mitch's shoes.

Throwing my love out there once again for Woodard as Stacee - is it true that he went on as Drew a few weeks ago? I know he did it once off-broadway but hadn't since then.

lstbutifulgrl2
#19Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 7:26am

JWo as Stacee is my favorite understudy as well, and yes, he went on as Drew for 1.5 shows on Sunday 1/31/10 and the previous Monday/Tuesday.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#20Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 8:03am

My favorite understudy is Tad Wilson as either Lonny or Dennis. Just.. it's just right.

Barney Stinson
#21Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 9:54am

1.5 shows? He switch in the middle or something?

AngryYoungMan
#22Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 10:14am

I really can't imagine Jeremy Woodard singing Drew. Has anyone seen him?

Also, has anyone seen Geoff Packard as Drew?

I have heard great things about Stocke as Dennis and Hertz...but man, I HATED his Lonny. And so did the majority of the audience the night I saw it.

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#23Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 11:47am

muscle - No, I wasn't there last night, why?

JP - I'm still not sure how I feel about Tad Wilson, haha.

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#24Rock of Ages - Matthew Stocke as Lonny
Posted: 2/24/10 at 12:17pm

You, child, have not LIVED. Haha.