pixeltracker

Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!

Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#1Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:09am

No, you're not winning tickets to Wicked, and I hope for your sake you didn't give out your personal information like the texts said. Wicked was proven responsible for the texts. Is this proof that Wicked is corrupt and/or evil? Thousands get the same texts all over the US last night.

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"
Updated On: 3/9/10 at 10:09 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:16am

...what?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:18am

The only thing that I can think of that might relate to what the OP was saying was that there were ads around train stations etc (saw one in Penn Station awhile back) that gave you a number to text for the chance to win a free pair of tickets to the show.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

snowskittle
#3Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:23am

More information and/or links please?

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#4Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:26am

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1831392

http://community.livejournal.com/bwaydaily/904394.html

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#5Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 10:30am

I got the text last night. I was excited because I really wanna see Mandy but then I realized it was a scam when 4 of my other friends got the same text.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#6Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 1:14pm

Wicked's Twitter updated with the following:

Due to a transmission error a txt re: Wicked tix was sent. This has been addressed & we have confirmation that personal info is secure.

Can't wait for the 11:30pm mass texts telling us that last night's mass texts were in error.
Wicked the Musical

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 1:18pm

http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1831392

That's so funny.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#8Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 3:28pm

I got one too.. It must really suck for the person that actually won last month.

modnar
#9Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 3:41pm

I got the text, too. I recognized short code the message came from as one "Passing Strange" used a couple years ago. However, I hadn't entered any contest, so I was pretty sure something was awry.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#10Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 4:13pm

I just got a text stating the exact thing on their twitter.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11Thousands win FREE tickets to WICKED in HUGE TEXT SCAM!!
Posted: 3/9/10 at 6:42pm

I got the text, too. I recognized short code the message came from as one "Passing Strange" used a couple years ago. However, I hadn't entered any contest, so I was pretty sure something was awry.

Sometimes the same vendor will use the same shortcode if it hasn't been used in a long time. I work with non-profits who often use those for donations or list-building, and confusion has happened when they're re-used. Whichever mobile marketing vendor Wicked is using is probably the same as the same one for Passing Strange.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos