News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?

holdyourbatboy
#1AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 3/26/10 at 7:45pm

Hey, for anyone that saw AMERICAN IDIOT...

Could you tell us who is covering what in terms of understudies/standbys? Thanks!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 3/26/10 at 8:24pm

Standby for Johnny/Will/Tunny: Van Hughes.

Understudies:
For Johnny: Chase Peacock.
For Will: Declan Bennett.
For Tunny: Ben Thompson.
For Heather: Leslie McDonel, Libby Winters.
For Whatsername: Leslie McDonel, Christina Sajous.
For St. Jimmy: Andrew Call, Joshua Kobak.
For Extraordinary Girl: Aspen Vincent, Libby Winters.

Swings:
Joshua Kobak, Lorin Latarro, Omar Lopez-Cepero, Aspen Vincent.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

LesMizazz Profile Photo
LesMizazz
#2AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 4:25pm

BUMP

Has anyone seen any of the understudies perform? How were they?

"And suddenly I'm flying flying like a bird, like electricity, electricity, sparks inside of me, and I'm free, I'm free" -Billy Elliot

broadwayman17
#3AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 4:43pm

I saw Andrew Call go on as St. Jimmy the second time I saw it at Berkeley, I thought he was pretty good in the role, but had a much less gritty vibe. He didn't have the rockstar vibe Tony gives the role, but was still good.

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#4AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 6:31pm

Addition to what was previously posted.

Theo Stockman's solos in "Holiday" and "Too Much Too Soon": Gerard Canonico
Joshua Henry's "Favorite Son" solo: Ben Thompson, Andrew Call

All the rest of the ensemble roles are covered by swings. Aspen Vincent did go on on Alysha Umphress' track the other day which included her "Too Much Too Soon" solo.

So far, all the swings have gone on. Libby Winters is currently on for Mary Faber as "Heather." Josh Kobak went on for St. Jimmy a little ago. The only person who has not gone on is Van Hughes since Gallagher, Esper, and Sands have not called out yet.

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#5AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 6:34pm

Has Leslie McDonel gone on for Heather or Whatsername yet?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 6:50pm

And Gallagher seldom calls out. (He will take days off, but seldom lets sickness interfere.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#7AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 7:08pm

Aspen went on for Libby past few shows. Libby has been going on for Heather because Mary has been sick.

viola13
#8AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 7:19pm

I saw Josh Koback on as St. Jimmy and he was amazing. I was really surprised at how much I loved him.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#9AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 7:34pm

And Gallagher seldom calls out. (He will take days off, but seldom lets sickness interfere.)

Unless that sickness is to the extreme like it was in Berkeley for the six performances he was out. :) However, I heard really good reviews of Chase Peacock as "Johnny."

Kind-of sad that Theo Stockman never went on for "Will" in Berkeley; he no longer understudies the role now.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#10AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 9:07pm

Has Lorin Latarro performed yet??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#11AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 9:37pm

Why doesn't Theo cover Will anymore?
And I was very surprised that Gerard didn't cover Johnny.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#12AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 10:27pm

Has Lorin Latarro performed yet??

Yup. She went on for Libby's track the other day when Libby went on for "Heather" and Aspen went on Alysha's track. Also, I believe she went on today for Libby's track.

Why doesn't Theo cover Will anymore?

I think it's because Theo's considered a featured ensemble so it would be considered too much for him to also understudy "Will."

And I was very surprised that Gerard didn't cover Johnny.

Really? See, I can't picture Gerard as "Johnny." Especially if you put him opposite Rebecca as "Whatsername." Heh...

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#13AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/16/10 at 11:41pm

Libby does a great job as Heather! Saw her tonight (5/16).

sgv123
#14AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/18/10 at 8:15pm

Does anyone know if there are individual u/s slips for AI or if it is just the one slip with the whole cast.

xerotheory7803
#15AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 3:34am

I was there tonight and there were some understudies:

Leslie McDonel as Whatshername
Libby Winters as Heather
Lorin Lattaro was on Libby's track
Aspen Vincent was on Leslie's track.

It was my second time seeing Libby as Heather, and like last time, I liked her Heather more than Mary's. I don't know if I'd say one is better than the other, just comes to personal preference I think.

Not sure if Leslie has gone on as Whatshername before tonight, but she was pretty good. Not as strong vocally as Rebecca, but still enjoyed her in the role alot.

sgv123
#16AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 1:49pm

bump

xerotheory7803
#17AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 5/19/10 at 11:36pm

Does anyone know if there are individual u/s slips for AI or if it is just the one slip with the whole cast.

Individual. Well sort of. The slips I got last night had 2 names on each.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#18AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/1/10 at 4:55pm

Tonight (6/1), Stark Sands is out and Van Hughes will be on for Tunny. It's his first time on in the production. If anyone goes, I would appreciate a review of his performance.

jeffmiele
#19AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/7/10 at 11:55pm

how is Gerard in Theo's track.. he's such high energy so i could see him being fun to watch

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#20AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:06am

Saw him on Sunday and I really did not like him. His singing during "Too Much Too Soon" was really off. He hit many sharp and flat notes. I like him in his own track, for what it's worth.

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#21AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/8/10 at 11:27am

I also saw Gerard about a week ago in Theo's track. I thought he did a good job. His voice was solid and he was VERY enthusiastic/energetic. I really enjoyed his performance.

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#22AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/9/10 at 1:43pm

Christina will be swung out tonight and Libby will be in her track as "Extraordinary Girl."

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#23AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/9/10 at 3:21pm

Heh. ironic that the extraordinary girl wears a berka and then stark'll rip it off only to see another white girl.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#24AMERICAN IDIOT - understudies?
Posted: 6/9/10 at 10:57pm

BUMP
how was Libby?

Videos