pixeltracker

Angelina Jolie to Play Disney Villain Maleficent (First Trailer)- Page 4

Angelina Jolie to Play Disney Villain Maleficent (First Trailer)

Visceral_Fella
#75Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 12:20am

That synopsis is terrible.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#76Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 7:30am

The real wincers:

1) She's fighting to save the kingdom from an invasion and becomes its fiercest protector = fail.

2) She puts a curse on baby Aurora and then regrets it and realizes Aurora holds the key to peace in the kingdom (I'm guessing by marrying Prince Philip and forming an alliance) and possibly her own happiness as well = fail.

So then what? Probably ...

She turns herself into a dragon and commits harakiri by throwing herself on Phillip's "sword of truth" in the name of peace and salvation?

Oh, sure. "Maleficent the Misunderstood Martyr."

"She's really nice, once you get to know her."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 8/15/13 at 07:30 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#77Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 7:46am

Oh, forgot to mention ...

Judging from those photos, I guess brown is the new black.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#78Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:08am

Disney has been trying to jump on the Wicked coattails for years. They have a book called Fairest of them All that is The Evil Queen: The Early Years. The magic mirror was behind it all. If memory serves, it was her father's spirit trapped in the mirror? It wasn't her fault. The best part of that book was that at the end, someone gave Snow White the same mirror as a wedding gift. I likes the idea of Snow White turning evil.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#79Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:26am

Disney has already had three strikes with overly produced CGI fest movies (John Carter, Oz and Lone Ranger) in their clearly desperate attempt to find the next Pirates of the Caribbean or Alice in Wonderland. Who is running the show in their live action arena? Because Maleficent has "stink bomb" written all over it. Hope I'm wrong.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#80Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 9:53am

Well, arguably, Oz the Great and Powerful succeeded. It made half a billion dollars worldwide (half of that in the U.S. alone), and while it pales in comparison to the "Pirates" franchise, plans are already underway for a sequel ... and assuming that does well (enough), they will continue down the Yellow Brick Road with their merchandising contracts in hand.

I just wish the story were better. But for so many people, that doesn't matter much.

EDIT: And I really wince at the way merchandising controls storytelling at Disney now. We have to have a nice, fuzzy flying monkey, so we can have nice, fuzzy plush toys to sell. Consequently, we have a "nice, fuzzy" Maleficent in the making here, brown no less, which helps them picture a cute, cuddly Maleficent plush toy lining many shelves. Ugh.

I want thorns and horns and malice! Not a kinder, gentler evil fairy who just wants to be loved by the kids.

Updated On: 8/15/13 at 09:53 AM

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#81Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 4:50pm

She turns herself into a dragon and commits harakiri by throwing herself on Phillip's "sword of truth" in the name of peace and salvation?

besty, that cracked me up! XD

But seriously, why don't they just change her name altogether to Beneficent, which means "doing or producing good"? Otherwise, the name Maleficent makes no sense in this context. If she were peaceful and a do-gooder from the start, why would she have a malicious name?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#82Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 5:02pm

Her birth name was actually Betsy Olsen...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#83Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/15/13 at 11:55pm

Wow, that synopsis sounds awful.

How long till we see Maleficent The Musical??

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#84Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 4:54pm

Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent

This was posted on Reddit. Not sure if it's legitimate, but pretty cool anyway.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#85Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 5:52pm

The poster is pretty kickass.

The right actress, the right role ... the wrong script/story.

Yes, I'm making assumptions based on that hideous synopsis.

Updated On: 8/16/13 at 05:52 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#86Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 6:01pm

It's not real. If it was there would be some hokey ass tagline like "The real story of the most misunderstood villain of all time"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#87Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 6:17pm

"The wickedest wicked villain that doesn't live in Oz."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#89Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:19pm

I still don't understand why they changed the fairies' names to the hideous-sounding Knotgrass, Flittle, and Thistlewit. What was wrong with Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#90Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:21pm

Jordan --- Tallulah Bankhorns?

And SM2 --- because these sound more Middle Earthian to them.

"Lord of the Ca-chings!"

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#91Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:22pm

I guess they're trying to distance themselves as far as they can from the original cartoon, since I don't see a copyright issue with the names.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#92Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:26pm

Instead of Flora (plant life), Fauna (animal life), and Merryweather (climate), they should have just called them Earth, Wind and Fire.

Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent

Updated On: 9/18/13 at 09:26 PM

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#93Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:32pm

Add two others and make it Captain Planet!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#94Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 9:37pm

I laughed so hard the other day that I "Flittled."

I had to change my underwear.

beautywickedlover
#95Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/16/13 at 10:38pm

"I guess they're trying to distance themselves as far as they can from the original cartoon, since I don't see a copyright issue with the names."

At least in the upcoming re-imagining of 'Cinderella', they will use the same names as the original Disney cartoon.

"In a twist, Sophie will actually play one of the evil step sisters — Drizella

“The Borgias” actress Holliday Grainger (she played Lucrezia Borgia), plays Sophie’s on-screen sister, Anastasia, and the wicked stepmother, Lady Tremaine – will be played by Cate Blanchett."

http://www.accesshollywood.com/downton-abbeys-sophie-mcshera-gears-up-for-disneys-cinderella_article_83138?__source=rss%7Cimdb%7Clatest-originals

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#96Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/17/13 at 12:04am

I understand, except that's a live action adaptation. Maleficent is a retelling. I know I'm picking hairs.

I'm so looking forward to Cate in the bedroom scene. The scene from the cartoon scares the crap out of me. (the scene where we first see the stepmother, and Lucifer.)

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#97Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/19/13 at 6:58pm

Oh god.. That synopsis is terrible. I've heard that Paul Dini was hired to "revise" some of Woolverton's script, so with a talent like Paul, I hope it's at least tolerable.

I know that the misunderstood villian thing is getting old (it is), but AS LONG as they do something different with it, I won't mind.

And as I have said, I'll give this a chance until it is released in July next year.

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#98Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/19/13 at 7:38pm

Rick Baker is doing her make up so I wonder what that will be like. Low key or over the top? I wish they would release some images of her from the actual film instead of candids.Even though it does not come out until March, I am surprised we have not seen a trailer for this yet.D23 would have been the perfect time and place to release a first trailer.

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

beautywickedlover
#99Angelina Jolie in Talks to Play Disney Villain Maleficent
Posted: 8/19/13 at 7:55pm

"Even though it does not come out until March,"

It's not being released till July 2014. 'The Muppets' sequel will be released in March 2014 instead.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/14/disney-moves-maleficent-to-summer-2014-claims-summer-2015-for-capt-jack-sparrow/