pixeltracker

Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...- Page 2

Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#25Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:07am

>> http://www.lacagelondon.com/sights_and_sounds/

What I've never understood is why often a very attractive man (ie. John Barrowman) makes a very unattractive woman, whereas some more average-looking men often make very attractive-looking women.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#26Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:20am

Because what makes him attractive as a man (even slightly more masculine features) makes him unattractive as a woman.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#27Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:26am

looking at the london pictures, i simply cannot picture Graham Norton signing I am What I am

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#28Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 8:45am

"Ugly and gritty are not the same thing."

Absolutely.

"I would take the testimony of a former drag queen over yours."

Language is defined by linguists. Only if the linguist happenned also to be a drag artist would your statement have any credibility.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#29Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 1:04pm

I was a drag performer, for many years.

Held every title in the state of California, including Miss Gay CA/America 3 years in a row. I had the longest running one wo-man cabert act in LA's history to date. I'm also a theatrical designer and have designed this production before. One of the cast emebers from that production is in this new production. He sent me a note saying "I wish you were here designing my look".

I think Iknow what I'm talking about

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#30Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 2:46pm

And a very cunning linguist as well, no doubt. Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#31Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:12pm

Diva, we're not querying your drag queen credentials. We're querying your incredibly tenuous grasp on the English language that has caused you to come out with a bizarre statement like "Ugly... Gritty... Same thing". Do I need to fish out some dictionary definitions for you? :P

TheatreDiva90016
#32Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:22pm

“Diva, we're not querying your drag queen credentials.”

Scripps seemed to be:

“Language is defined by linguists. Only if the linguist happenned also to be a drag artist would your statement have any credibility. “

“"Ugly... Gritty... Same thing". Do I need to fish out some dictionary definitions for you?”

As far as I'm concerned, when put into this context, they do mean the same thing.

Musical theatre brings visions of happy, bright, colorful, characters that sparkle. And when you are doing a show with drag queens in it, people expect some level of 'wow' factor.

When folks re-mount musicals and call them 'gritty versions', I think of dark, dirty and unattractive (ie:ugly).

If you can name a show the Brits have made cheerier, then I'd like to know what that show is.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mattbrain
#33Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:31pm

"If you can name a show the Brits have made cheerier, then I'd like to know what that show is."

Holy crap, you're right.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#34Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:40pm

Actually my statement was aimed at TheatreFan4.

"Musical theatre brings visions of happy, bright, colorful, characters that sparkle."

So what would you do with Billy Elliot then? Have all the miners with perfectly straight white teeth, clean faces and not a hair out of place? Because that would be the sort of un-reality that got musical theatre its naff reputation in Britain amongst my own generation.

And I mean that as a genuine open question. I'm not trying to be a smart-arse (this time).
Updated On: 4/4/10 at 03:40 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#35Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 3:53pm

)I know I'm not making myself totally clear on this... Sorry.

I'm talking some of the older musicals. The ones people used as escapism

Now days, we got shows like Next To Normal (which they made the ending a little more upbeat), but normally for ‘gritty’ you would have to go towards Opera.

With ‘La Cage’ they sing about the glamour. It’s just a shame that they don’t have any in this production.

Maybe the Brits can do a gritty version of, say, “Funny Girl” next. :P

TIGGOSAURUS Profile Photo
TIGGOSAURUS
#36Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 4:46pm

I experienced a somewhat 'faded glamour' at La Cage in London, but in no way did I feel it was plain 'gritty' or 'ugly' or 'dirty' or whatever pejorative adjective you choose to employ. For me it matched the setting of the club and the milieu its proprieters inhabit - maybe we Brits and Europeans have a higher tolerance threshold for 'slightly seedy' than our US counterparts? Ultimately I found it a very uplifting and illuminating production and I hope it will be received on its own merits in New York.

IMHO there is a definite undercurrent of xenophobia about some of the posts on this thread and it is far 'uglier' than anything you'll see on stage at the Longacre. Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...

Seen some shows in my time....

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#37Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 4:58pm

I again cite the 1994 Lincoln Center production of CAROUSEL, largely imported from London, with the same Billy Bigelow. It was a grittier version of a classic that I also saw in 1965: the production at the New York State Theatre. Grittier here certainly did not mean ugly. Though it is a tragedy, the 1994 CAROUSEL had plenty of "WOW" moments: "June is Busting Out All Over", "Blow High, Blow Low", the lovely ballet near the end, are three such moments.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 4/4/10 at 04:58 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#38Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 5:53pm

All right. They got ONE right.

But the Roundabout Follies was such a piece of excrement that all British directors should be banned from American musicals for at least 100 years, maybe 200.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#39Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 5:55pm

Deal! And in return, we'll take back Phantom (which will be a loss to your tourist trade if nothing else) and your annual Shakespeare in the Park can be Miller in the Park or something (which actually sounds like a good idea; we're having some Miller in a park over here this summer XD). ^_^

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 8:13pm

Ann Miller in the Park?

That would be wonderful!

TheatreDiva90016
#41Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/4/10 at 11:04pm

As long as she's gritty!

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#42Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/5/10 at 5:33am

If we're doing deals, please can you also take back the current abysmal American mis-management of what used to be the world's greatest football team.

When Manchester United fans are so alienated and disgusted at the way their team has been run into the ground that they refuse to wear the team colours (opting to wear green and yellow instead) it has to have taken a very pig-headed, conceited and inept set of owner/managers to create such a predicament.

Green and gold 'til the club is sold.
Updated On: 4/5/10 at 05:33 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/5/10 at 7:49am

Well, only we can have Ben Cohen, so I suspect there's no deal.

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#44Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/5/10 at 8:49am

There's a possibility that Ben Cohen could be exchanged for Congressman Schock.

But in order to facilitate this Congressman Schock will have to make a public statement denying that he is a republican, acknowledging that his membership of the Republican Party was just a phase he was going through, that he is happily reconciled to the idea that he is and always has been a monarchist, and that he is indeed happy to be associated with queens.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#45Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/5/10 at 9:35am

I don't think Congressman Schock would understand a word of what you just said.

Fanb
#46Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/5/10 at 8:09pm

hmm... Not sure what to think yet.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#47Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 3:50pm

Go away for a few days and what happens? Same stupid argument fueled with the same silly rumors based on preconceptions rather than experience. Personally, I would lend a bit more credibility to the side of those who have seen the show.

Musical theatre brings visions of happy, bright, colorful, characters that sparkle. And when you are doing a show with drag queens in it, people expect some level of 'wow' factor.

Musical theatre has been about so much more than that since the 1930s. I saw the escapist fluffy version of La Cage and I thought it was far more of a discredit to the material than this version (and if memory serves, so did Fierstein). The Cagelles of this production wowed me more than any other I've seen. The "wow" was the fact that the Cagelles can be more than just unrealistically expensive dancing costumes. They can be MEN in DRAG who are the STARS of their world (a common character trait found in virtually every gay performance venue across the world, regardless of production budget). Honestly, I think the idea that this show can only be produced with one singular vision in mind works against everything the story is about. Perhaps the song title should be changed to "I Am What a Handful of Gay Men Think I Should Be (And What I Am is Unrealistic)".

When folks re-mount musicals and call them 'gritty versions', I think of dark, dirty and unattractive (ie:ugly).

Except nobody who has seen the show calls it "gritty". It's not. It's just something you keep saying it is, even though you haven't seen it.

I think Iknow what I'm talking about

Maybe in context of American drag competitions. This show is not an American drag competition. Or more precisely, the competitions in which you've participated (though it is prettier than some I have seen). I'm thrilled for your accomplishments and I'm sure no one would think to have called you ugly, but the book of La Cage aux Folles doesn't mention you. Now, maybe it's just me, but Miss Gay Maryland 2006, Andora Te'tee, (see photo) resembles more of the new Cagelles than the original Cagelles. And this photo does not represent an anomaly. I'm not saying she's pretty or ugly, just that she is what she is. She holds a title and she's an American drag queen. Not that it actually has ANYTHING to do with the book, costumes, direction or story to La Cage aux Folles.

I experienced a somewhat 'faded glamour' at La Cage in London, but in no way did I feel it was plain 'gritty' or 'ugly' or 'dirty' or whatever pejorative adjective you choose to employ.

Probably because it is none of those things. I didn't even think of it as "faded glamour". To me, the glamour was there because the characters believed it wholeheartedly. Every member of the cast projected a vision of glamour to the audience because Zaza and the Cagelles already knew the glamour was real for them.

The xenophobic comments should stop altogether.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 4/6/10 at 03:50 PM

#48Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 4:00pm

All drag queens think they are beautiful.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#49Robin De Jesus in costume for La Cage...
Posted: 4/6/10 at 4:10pm

As well they should. The new Cagelles think they are beautiful and it worked for me. I didn't place any expectations on them.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian