pixeltracker

Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?

Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?

rmusic11322
#1Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 4:27pm

I saw the audition post on Playbill and I just wanted to hear some opinions. I'm 15 years old (non-Equity/turning 16 in May) and I'm thinking about going to this audition. Even though it is an understudy spot, I just wanted to see how a real Broadway audition process would be like. I haven't seen or heard anything about the show, but, I'm starting to do some research on it (cast recording, history, and such). It says that the auditions are on a weekday. I wonder why they chose that date if they knew that they were going to see underage people. I live in NJ and will try to convince my parents to take me. I'm guessing that they are looking for any race becuase they didn't specify on the post - I'm Asian. Can anyone help me on making this decision of going to the audition? And if you have seen the show before, can you give me a more vivid description on the charater? Sorry if this may seem a bit much. Thanks! :)

Everyday Rapture, Equity Principal Auditions/Understudy Updated On: 4/3/10 at 04:27 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 4:32pm

The character can certainly be any race.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#2Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 4:45pm

Looks like an Equity call to me. Non-Equity often show up to these, but you always run the risk that they'll turn you away.

Also, if getting out of school for a Broadway audition is difficult for you, how are you going to manage to be available 8 shows a week?

Just some food for thought.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#3Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 6:54pm

Well, Mildred, if he should get cast, they would probably put him in Professional Children's School, specifically intended for kids still in school who are still pursuing their educations while performing.

So, go for it.

Edited for spelling

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.
Updated On: 4/3/10 at 06:54 PM

angelxschunard Profile Photo
angelxschunard
#4Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 7:33pm

Well, Mildred, Broadway show curtains on regular days are at seven or eight. Matinee's are at two... that hardly interferes with school... The only problem I see is with the matinee curtain, and at most they'll miss the last hour or so of school what, twice a week? Not even, depending on when Everyday Rapture's matinee's are. Why would that interfere with school at all?

Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast, RENT, Mamma Mia!, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Evita (with Julia Murney), Hairspray (with Paul Vogt), Peter and the Starcatchers (with Christian Borle), Lion King, Altar Boyz, Legally Blonde (with Lauren Zackrin).

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#5Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 7:47pm

Shows don't just appear out of nowhere. Rehearsal happens during the day, so it's likely a chunk of school would have to be missed while preparing for the show.
Updated On: 4/3/10 at 07:47 PM

rmusic11322
#6Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 7:53pm

Updated On: 4/3/10 at 07:53 PM

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#7Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 7:55pm

Exactly, lull. Understudies have rehearsals at least once a week during run and they're probably not after school hours. Alos, from the tone of the OP's post it seems like getting out of school would be a stretch. Are the parent's willing to make the daily treck to the city and make this big lifestyle change.

And there's still the fact that this is an equity call.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

rmusic11322
#8Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 9:57pm

Hypothetical Question: If worse comes to worse and I can't make it to the audition, would it be wise to send in my picture/resume to the casting director (Jim Carnahan)?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#9Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 10:02pm

you should do that either way.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#10Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 10:59pm

Never mind that it's an equity call. It is such a specific role that there won't be enough folks there to fill up all the EPA slots. If they say they are not seeing non-equity, then they aren't really looking. Make sure to bring a parent with you since you are a minor.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

jake6970
#11Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:28pm

So worth it- it seems really likely they'll see non eq since it's for such a young role AND they have to cast it within at most 5 days of the audition, so they are really serious.

bwaylvsong
#12Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:35pm

Absolutely! I'm not a tenor and am supposed to be in college in Massachusetts that day, and I'm highly considering going.

rmusic11322
#13Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/3/10 at 11:50pm

Does anyone have the song list from this show? I tried to Google is, but nothing really came up. I want to see if I can sing the songs that Eamon Foley (the person I would understudy I got casted) would sing. I saw a YouTube video from Second Stage's channel and there was a small clip of him singing Aida's "My Strongest Suit."

EDIT: If it helps, I think my vocal range is baritenor. Updated On: 4/3/10 at 11:50 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#14Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:04am

Well im 14, turning 15 in june, non eq, tenor, is it possible for me to audition or no?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#15Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:08am

Does anyone have the song list from this show? I tried to Google is, but nothing really came up. I want to see if I can sing the songs that Eamon Foley (the person I would understudy I got casted) would sing. I saw a YouTube video from Second Stage's channel and there was a small clip of him singing Aida's "My Strongest Suit."

The character doesn't actually sing at all. He lip-synchs to Sherie's My Strongest Suit.

The role is much more about comedic timing and being able to convincingly play a teenaged show queen.

Dangerous Divine Profile Photo
Dangerous Divine
#16Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:35am

If I recall correctly, the character actually sings as well. He starts out lip syncing and then ends up belting out the end of the song.

Heather79
#17Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 7:55am

It is an Equity call but as everyone said, why not give it a try? We never know. The fact they have to cast someone within five days might help you.

The audition is on a school day but at the end of it. They could have scheduled it in the morning, you know. Casting directors want you to be available 24h/day (or so) if they hire you. That's why children who are cast are automatically put at a school of performing arts.

Personally I don't think the role is very specific, or at least in the description Playbill gave: 16+, tenor, male with great presence on stage... That's a rather classic description, very general. You can be sure the kids from Manhattan are going to attend it, especially the ones who are already attending a school of performing arts. Now indeed, if they only want Equity performers, I wish them good luck.

But that doesn't have to stop you, on the contrary. Work hard on it and try.

Sending your resume is a good idea. Everything's possible, you know.

I guess Dangerous Divine is right about singing the end of the song.

jpsings
#18Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 9:39am

Updated On: 6/14/10 at 09:39 AM

vlegra
#19Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 10:03am

The Character does sing "My Strongest Suit" in the original Key

The song starts wiht him lip-syncing the song to Sherie and it ends with Sherie Lip-Syncing to his voice singing it. Its a great comedic part in the show.

wickedpoppinsfan
#20Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 10:17am

They have education for kids, and private tutors. My friend from school did the Grinch during its limited run, and missed about 2-3 months of school, and was tutored at that time, btu came back mid January.

rmusic11322
#21Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 11:44am

Thanks to everyone for the advise. As of now, it looks like I may not be able to go to the audition. I think I'm just going go send in my remume and a picture tomorrow. The only thing is that I doubt any professional photographer will take me right now. Since it's such a nice nice here in NJ, I'm going to have one of my family members take pictures for my headshot for me. I know it's not the best way to go, but I will still get them printed on 8x10 and have my name under the picture. I already have my resume all set out.

bwaylvsong
#22Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 12:12pm

Oh, that's wayyyy too high for me, then! Now I won't regret not going Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?

rmusic11322
#23Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 1:52pm

If anyone can help me out, what should I say in my letter stating that I couldn't go to the audition but I'm still interested? I don't want to sound so corny, but not desperate either.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#24Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?
Posted: 4/4/10 at 2:58pm

crapgadget too high for me Everyday Rapture Audition: Is It Worth It?