adamgreer
#25Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 1:44am

I have not had that issue, no.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 9:38am

"I really enjoy the recording, but during "A Weekend In The Country" it begins to skip a bit."

I had this issue once I imported that track, but then I just imported it again and it was fine.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#27Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:50am

^Thank you, I just did that and it worked!

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:09am

I just finished listening to it and it's...ok. I love the completeness of it, but I'm not so fond of some of the performances. I haven't seen this production, so I cannot put it in context of pairing the visual representation of the performances. Catherine sounds so hard on the CD as if she's angrily growling through most of the material. I was hoping for a bit more femininity and warmth, which Glynis accomplished without being a strong singer. Some of the intonation problems in The Miller's Son were just too glaringly obvious for me. And I just don't care for Romana or Hunter's voices on the CD, though I'm all too aware that despite my opinion of an audio recording, I could absolutely fall in love with the performances when viewed live. I've no problem with the orchestrations as I saw a beautiful scaled-down production at the Shakespeare Theatre in Chicago years ago that worked very well. But I was let down by the opening vocals. I loved the more spontaneous sound of the vocal warm-ups that started the proceedings with a light frivolity. Can someone tell me what they are being used for now? I'm not quite clear on what they are going for with the soft and slow individual approach with the layering of voices only occurring at the end. All in all, it's not bad, but I would probably be more inclined to listen to the OBC or OLC over this one again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#29Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:23am

Don't have the recording yet...but, Matt, the opening, as staged, is very different from any other staged production I've seen. It features Henrik onstage, playing a note on the cello, and the singers appear and quietly, hauntingly begin singing the 'warm-up'. I thought it was stunning. I thought the whole production was rather stunning (and I seem to be the only person who didn't have a problem with the sets).

Zeta-Jones was a very different Desiree. Quite hard. But she did find softer moments, and Send in the Clowns became more of a reveal, in a way. After her hard-charging, touring actress persona, the melting away of that outer shell was really effective. All in all, I fell in love with my favorite Sondheim show all over again, thanks to this production.

Mister Matt
#30Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:27am

Thanks, Robbie. I think perhaps I just need to adjust myself to differences in the recording until I finally see the production, but I've a feeling I would probably really enjoy this revival, nonetheless. Your explanation of Catherine's performance really has me intrigued. On the CD, with no visual reference, it just sounds a bit jarring to me.

SonofRobbieJ
#31Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:32am

In many ways, I think she's captured the 'glamorous life', if you will. She's a woman who continually tours, spending a lot of time away from home. I think we all know actresses like that, and I think she captures it perfectly. No...it's not the light, frothy Desiree. It's a very interesting performance that I think works beautifully.

As for the rest of the show, yes...there are tonal differences that I think would come across on the cd, but confuse a listener who is only familiar with more 'traditional' productions. But, to be sure, this production is not radical in its re-thinking. It doesn't distort the text in any way. It just finds different shadings.

Mister Matt
#32Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:54am

At least it helps to erase Federica Von Stade's Desiree from a particularly dismal production I saw at Houston Grand Opera. I didn't think it was possible to have anyone portray Desiree utterly devoid of personality, wit, charm, or character but she certainly accomplished that feat displaying a mind-boggling disconnect with every line of text. God, that was a hideous misfire. Everything from the casting, to the sets, to the costumes and makeup was revolting and inexplicable. The costumes were all painted in the style of watery Monet impressionistic paintings and the quartet were given clownish iridescent makeup to resemble porcelain music box figures. And everything was staged on noisy metal platforms. It was nightmarish mess. I was thrilled to see the show in Chicago again so I could finally have a fond memory of a good production.

Updated On: 4/8/10 at 11:54 AM

SonofRobbieJ
#33Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 12:08pm

I simply refuse to believe any such production could have existed.

Mister Matt
#34Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 12:34pm

Oh, yes in January, 1999. I was given comp box seats (I worked at the theatre) and discovered George R. and Barbara Bush were seated directly opposite me. I'll never forget there was a scene where two characters kissed (I don't remember which) with a loud wet *SMACK*. I immediately turned to my friend and said, "Did somebody just hit her with a live trout?" We were giggling and making comments through the entire first act, trying to be discreet, but it was nearly impossible given the ridiculousness of the entire production. At intermission, my friend and I discussed leaving when the couple sitting behind us suddenly begged, "Please don't! You two are the only entertaining thing about this show!" Armed with newly found kindred spirits, the four of us ended up having a great time sipping wine and mocking Act II, which was the only way to endure it.

The quality of the photos in the link are better than the quality of the production.
ALNM at Houston Grand Opera

SonofRobbieJ
#35Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 12:41pm

Oh my.

Sounds like you had a First-Preview-of-IN-MY-LIFE kinda night.

Those are some good f-ing times.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#36Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:38pm

After re-listening I have a few more comments.

I wish that Alexander Hanson didn't "speak" so many of his lyrics. There's nothing wrong with this, and it personalizes a song...but it is a song and a recording is forever.

Also it seems to me that Fredrika is speaking with an English Accent and even though CZJ and Angela Lansbury were originally from Great Britian, they really don't have an accent.

Also, didn't Judi Dench get great acclaim for her "angry" rendition of Desiree's songs? If so, then what is wrong with CZJ?

Brick
#37Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:44pm

I gave it a listen. I think it doesn't come across as well as in the theatre.

I'll go back to listening to the recording I have of Natasha....

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#38Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:54pm

Have listened to it - love most of it (especially Lansbury, Davie, Herdlicka, and Lazar).

Don't really care for Mallory's voice - Zeta-Jones is overdoing it a bit.

Orchestrations are lovely.

Overall, very solid, but I definitely prefer the earlier recordings to this one.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#39Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 7:57pm

There are also sometimes that I wish they had an extra woodwind and brass player.

I wish we heard a flute and a piccolo in the "Night Waltz" and some French Horn in "A Weekend in the Country" and a trombone in "It Would Have Been Lovely".

Thank Goodness they kept the Bassoon!!!!!!!!!

Pianist3912
#40Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 9:01pm

Oh yeah, those horn lines at the end of Weekend in the Country are sorely missed, at least by me!

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#41Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 10:40pm

This is one of the musicals where the instrumental music is just as good (if not better than the vocals and lyrics).

Was the smaller orchestra more of a budget issue or does it have something to do with the "scaled down" concept of the show? Or is it a marriage of two...meaning a possible money issue but it goes along with the concept of the show so it works...in theory?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#42Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:13pm

Also it seems to me that Fredrika is speaking with an English Accent and even though CZJ and Angela Lansbury were originally from Great Britian, they really don't have an accent.

Everyone speaks with a British accent. Petra, for example, has a Cockney accent, to help show the cross section of society the musical deals with.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#43Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:42pm

...Leigh Ann Larkin is doing Cockney?

I was under the impression everyone was doing standard stage.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#44Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/8/10 at 11:47pm

Leigh Ann said this about her accent on Twitter

"@jufu_0 Mine is of the west country to give a class separation between myself and the others."

MTVMANN, Catherine and Angela are absolutely using accents.

slmlbl Profile Photo
slmlbl
#45Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/9/10 at 12:09am

just got my copy. Underwhelmed would be the word that comes to mind. Catherine comes across too harsh, glowering alomost. No one seems to quite gel with their character's except for Angela.

JBSinger
#46Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:20am

Overall, I enjoyed the CDs quite a bit.
CZJ is a more earthy Desiree. I did hear some shades of "Velma" in "Glamorous Life" but not to ill effect.
Hanson - really pleasant voice. Nice interpretation. Some simliarities in delivery to David Tominlinson (of the film Mary Poppins). But touching and with great finesse.
Angela Lansbury - once I got past her character being a little more dotty than most portrayals, I thoroughly enjoyed her in every scene and song. Delicious!
Henrik/Anne - I can see what they were going for with Henrik and it kind of works. There is a really nice voice underneath the character wails. They should have just let him sing it. Ramony Mallory is annoying. esp in "Weekend in the country". Glad she's basically done singing on Disc 1.
Aaron Lazar - Great
Erin Davie - lovely rich tones, great dry line readings.
Leigh Ann Larkin - had several moments I heard this morning that made me wince (chewing vowels - "meanwhiiiiiilllle". ick, etc..) It's hard for these 20-somethings coming at classic pieces with contemporary technique. They just aren't vocally flexible enough.
The Quintet was lovely and I'd much rather hear any of those women sing Anne.
Reduced orchestrations didn't really bother me. Loved the harp and Celeste. They were very effective and though I love the bigger sound and sweep, it worked for what they were doing.
LOVED all the dialogue included. Felt like I was more IN the show.
packaging and liner notes all gorgeous and great. The BWW reviewer gave this a 7.5 and I'd probably give it an 8 (with a lot less aliteration in my review). :)

MeganW Profile Photo
MeganW
#47Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/9/10 at 1:50pm

I recieved the CD in the mail on Wednesday and have been listening to it non-stop. I absolutely love how much dialogue they included - it's a great way to have more tangible memories of the show. And I felt most performances translated well, though I've seen the show twice so I might be used to how each part is portrayed. I enjoy The Miller's Son, but it actually makes me wince inside during that one "meanwhile."

If people have split views about your work, I think it's flattering. I'd rather have them feel something about it than dismiss it.
Stephen Sondheim

bestoffates.com

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#48Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/9/10 at 10:29pm

More comments!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the way Angela Lansbury sings "Mother's misguided la la LA"!!! The last "la" is so Funny!

However, during the opening dialogue sequence I really wish they would have let her say the line to Fredrika about pressing up against her wheelchair and how it would "stunt the growth" of her bosom "and then where would you be?" That would have been funny to hear her say, and she basically says everything else in that small scene but that.
But I guess we are lucky that we get so much dialogue in this recording!
As well as the reprises of the songs.

Another thing that they did in this recording (and several other recordings too) is that they give the opening dialogue in "Later" to set up the song to Anne.
In the script...unless it has been changed in this production...it is Petra who sets up his song. It's not that big a deal, though.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#49Your thoughts about the A Little Night Music Revival Cast Recording
Posted: 4/10/10 at 12:34pm

The only plus for this recording is the inclusion of the dialogue. Otherwise I am disappointed in all of the perfs except for Lansbury. CZJ is too hard-edged except for "Clowns" and everyone else sounds too forced, corny, or shrill. And my God a booklet of all b/w pics??? Come on! Couldn't Sondheim have coughed up some of his bucks for a better recording and a better production?

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?