pixeltracker

Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!- Page 4

Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#75Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/24/10 at 11:58pm

I think Zeta Jones could pull it off. I mean if she's playing Swedish in NIGHT MUSIC...

But if she is perhaps the biggest name who could conceivably be envisioned actually doing a Broadway revival, I don't think she's the most ideal.

This is a role for a Natasha Richardson, Michelle Pfeiffer type - with a better singing voice. Who in the film community really is that type at the moment?

Addendum: Okay though I generally hate when people suggest the same people over and over - but you know who is a Hollywood name and could actually sing the score and be appropriate -- Yes, Kate Winslet. There you go. And she's just a few years off from being the right age.
Updated On: 5/25/10 at 11:58 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#76Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:03am

Doesn't Emma Thompson have a great singing voice?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#77Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:04am

Yeah, that's the problem. We know Zeta-Jones could sing and dance it. But what other Hollywood star could pull it off 8x a week?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#78Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:05am

Cate Blanchett.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jordan Catalano
#79Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!

Nicole Kidman

Michael Bennett
#80Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!

See my addendum - Kate Winslet.

No, Emma Thompson is NOT a good singer. She did a musical once 30 years ago but she couldn't sing the score to MAME well. And she's too old. Someone like Nicole Kidman could sing it better (barely) and is actually more right for the role.

There were rumours going around for years that Cate Blanchett was apparently one of the closet great singers in Hollywood but that rumour was recently debunked in an interview in which she confessed she's tone deaf.
Updated On: 5/25/10 at 12:05 AM

Jordan Catalano
#81Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:07am

Well we all know Streep is looking for something to come back to Broadway with...

Michael Bennett
#82Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:08am

Streep apparently (God Love her) wants to come back in an original script. Good for her.

Jordan Catalano
#83Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:10am

Hey, more power to her. If anyone out there can get something written FOR her, it's Miss Meryl.

Let's just keep Rosie away from MAME. lol

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#84Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:42pm

So, are Glen Close and Betty Buckley too old now?
Can Jodie Foster sing? (She was in Bugsy Malone )

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#85Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 12:58pm

Ladies and gentlemen: CHER!!!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Gothampc
#86Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 1:08pm

"Ladies and gentlemen: CHER!!!"

I had actually mentioned Cher several years ago. But I was never quite sure if a director could pull out of her the high energy needed for Mame. Cher always relied on costumes and other props to give her low energy personality a boost.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Brick
#87Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 1:22pm

She was supposed to make a TV film in the late 90s. And I love she'd be PERFECT! Then, she had a hit album with "Believe" and tours, etc, etc

Now, I think she's too old, sadly.

noradesmond Profile Photo
noradesmond
#88Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 1:36pm

I get hives every time somebody mentions Cher and MAME in the same sentence. Seriously. Makes me want to cry.

Dollypop
#89Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 2:53pm

I really like the idea of Emma Thompson.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

gcal
#90Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 3:25pm

I know nothing about her vocal abilities, but for those of you who saw her in 9 to 5, how would Allison Janney do? As Mame or Vera?

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#91Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 5:52pm

Not to threadjack, but the Loretta Swit comment makes me wonder:

Has she ever spoken about what it was like playing Gooch to Susan Hayward's Mame in that Las Vegas production?

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

FunnyGirl617
#92Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 8:33pm

I just discovered Christine Andreas' version of "If He Walked Into My Life" on iTunes...it's on her album "Here's to the Ladies"...it's pretty amazing. If they had a big name playing Vera could they have a lesser known actress playing Mame? Kind of like La Cage with the well-known Kelsey Grammer and the lesser-known Douglas Hodge? I really think she would be great.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#93Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:21pm

I didn't see 9 TO 5, but I think Janney would be a brilliant Vera.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

garyl
#94Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:34pm

So this new Herman show will be his second? Maybe this one can be original with some creativity? I will always remember the review of Dear World in the NYTimes...

bk
#95Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/25/10 at 10:39pm

I don't think there will be a new Herman show. Read the interview. He's "thinking" he "might" be up for a new show, but he has no new show in mind. He's humoring the interviewer regarding Arsenic.

Dollypop
#96Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/26/10 at 5:25pm

I know Jerry well enough to realize when he's faking it. He's truly energized and eager to work on a new show.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#97Jerry Herman is thinking about writing another show!
Posted: 5/26/10 at 8:54pm

Emma Thompson is in fact a good singer. In addition to doing "For Me and My Girl" she sang in nearly every episode of her eponymous TV show.

Though she's more of a soprano than a belter.

Videos