pixeltracker

Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!

Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/27/10 at 11:50pm

I don't know who watched this evening's Daytime Emmys, I just got back from a rehearsal and it was on the DVR. Four theatre performances:

JERSEY BOYS
THE LION KING
BLUE MAN GROUP
CIRQUE DU SOLIEL

I'm only about thirty minutes into the show, but so far it's one of the best ceremonies that I have seen of any awards show.

There was an OUTSTANDING tribute to Dick Clark, hosted by Ryan Seacrest with a video tribute, montage of live performances, and a second video tribute of musicians who wanted to say thanks who couldn't be there live in person. Clark was reduced to tears, sobbing into his hands as the camera cut away.

I don't watch soap operas. I have no clue who these people are. I feel like an outsider watching a community celebrate itself. And I don't mind that I don't know. This ceremony is just so entertaining!!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

othell Profile Photo
othell
#2Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/28/10 at 1:13am

Did we watch the same show? Regis was, well, not good- the Vegas shows drowned out all of the daytime participants (you think Hunter is mad, you should see the soap messageboards!)-- long time soap AS THE WORLD TURNS only received a 2 minute tribute to commemorate it being cancelled after a long run, while THE LION KING took over the stage and auditorium to present a supporting actor award baby Simba got more air time than most daytimers got). Like I said before-- all of the daytime sites are up in arms-- watch out Facebook, the great Victor Newman is fuming!
Updated On: 6/28/10 at 01:13 AM

supportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
#2Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/28/10 at 2:17am

First of all- I'm glad The View didn't win for talk show or host. Even though I don't watch As the World Turns- they should have spent a longer time on their tribute. That happened with Guiding Light too- what a rip-off for both shows. I've never seen Dick Clark moved to tears like that. Even though I love musicals, I didn't quite get the connection with Las Vegas and the daytime Emmy's. Anyway, I was flipping the channel to Drop Dead Diva until 10:00.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/28/10 at 3:24am

I don't watch much daytime tv -- no need/desire to watch. (Much like all the people that feel that way about the Tony Awards.)

Hard to justify a long montage to shows that no longer have an audience big enough to sustain its existence! (Although I understand the sentiment.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:08am

Terrible. Regis couldn't land a joke or get a name straight if his life depended on it. The Cirque sectiion was bizarre and scarey. Just the worst ever.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#5Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to put on a show!
Posted: 6/28/10 at 9:33am

I feel like an outsider watching a community celebrate itself.

Celebrate itself? What do Vegas theatrical productions have to do with daytime television? You liked it because you like theatre, just like Green Day fans probably thought the Tonys this year were the best ever. People who like daytime television were probably just as annoyed as you were about the Tonys; they weren't better, they were just more appealing to you personally.

I wonder if that Guiding Light fan who joined to implore we "save New York jobs" by supporting their soap opera movement is one of the ones complaining.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to
Posted: 6/28/10 at 11:18am

As I mentioned earlier, I created the thread while watching...I was about 30 minutes into it.

And I agree, WAY too heavy on the Vegas promotion. They even had a segment where they did a TOUR of the Hilton hotel. wtf?

They did start out great, however, with the Dick Clark tribute.

Regis' adlibs were great ("It looks like a lot of fun - winning an Emmy") but everything scripted was poorly delivered.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#8Daytime Emmy Awards schools all other televised awards ceremonies on how to
Posted: 6/28/10 at 12:09pm

It was a dull show while I watched it. Although Dick Clark deserved his tribute, it went on...and on... and on. While I understand that the Hilton and Las Vegas stood to be highlighted from time to time, it went overboard. Afer all, this wasn't "The Dick Clark/Las Vegas Show"...it was the Daytime Emmys. The producers really skimped big time on the tribute to "As The World Turns". The various Vegas acts got more airtime, more than was necessary. The Jersey Boys were very entertaining. Regis was Regis. They seemed to be catering to a fairly older demographic. There could have been a better balance, with someone younger as a cohost. The worst of the singers was Tony Orlando. His voice was shot. I'm 48, so I remember Tony Orlando and Dawn. I used to love them...then. Also, there was a bit with two young guys...one was named Kyle Massey. It was a juvenile and annoying presentation. (When I first saw the presenting list, I wondered if it was Kyle Dean Massey who was in the show... I thought..."cool.") After about an hour or so, I switched to another channel. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)