WHY Everyday Rapture?

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#1WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:24pm

Saw Everyday Rapture about a week ago. I feel so stupid but can someone explain to me very simply and elementary why they called it everyday rapture? also is there a show synopsis somewhere?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:31pm

WHY Everyday Rapture?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#2WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:40pm

The show is just a bunch of stories why would you need a synopsis?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#3WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:46pm

She explains the title in the show.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#4WHY Everyday Rapture?

Back when it was off-broadway, Sherie mentioned that mennonites try to reach a state of 'everyday rapture' by being a good person, and that she contradicted it by becoming a broadway semi-star

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#5WHY Everyday Rapture?

It's explained well in the show- the only thing that wasn't done was a title drop.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#6WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:57pm

yay thanks aasjb4ever.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#7WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/1/10 at 10:59pm

sure

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#8WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/2/10 at 1:16pm

Back when it was off-broadway, Sherie mentioned that mennonites try to reach a state of 'everyday rapture' by being a good person, and that she contradicted it by becoming a broadway semi-star

Wait, what? I don't think we saw the same show. You make it sound like she said she's going to H*ll for being a performer. What sort of uplifting message is that?

dictionary.com defines "rapture" as follows:

"4. the Rapture, Theology . the experience, anticipated by some fundamentalist Christians, of meeting Christ midway in the air upon his return to earth."

It is believed that the Rapture is coming and we're all just waiting for it. But the title is actually about not waiting for something but rather living in the moment...the everyday. Finding the little miracles around you in your daily life. Rapture is happening all around us at every moment of everyday. You just have to remember to look for it.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 7/2/10 at 01:16 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#9WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/2/10 at 1:47pm

ok let me rephrase my statement:
Back when it was off-broadway, Sherie mentioned in an interview that mennonites try to reach a state of 'everyday rapture' by being a good person, and that she contradicted it by becoming a broadway semi-star

LayerBoy4
#10WHY Everyday Rapture?
Posted: 7/2/10 at 7:23pm

In the monologue before "Up the Ladder to the Roof," she says something like this...

"The Mennonites say you have to wait for the Rapture, because it's coming. And they're half right...only, it's already here - "rapture" with a small 'r' - single, precious moment..."

And so on. That's where she draws the title from. Perhaps she feels the message of the show is to take your world and enjoy each moment. "May your Rumspringa" last forever - don't let yourself get torn apart by guilt and peoples' expectations of you - take your life for what it is and enjoy it. Take each day and make it a single precious moment, and don't live in fear of "Judgement day, as Judy calls it."

That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Luv2goToShows
#11WHY Everyday Rapture? Another Question?
Posted: 7/4/10 at 12:11am

Another question, did not want to start another thread.

****Spoiler Alert, question contains story info****

I tried to google this but did not come up with anything. Went with friends to see the show, one asked if there was any connection with Sherie Rene Scott and Wicked (or a story behind the mention of Idina) The person who asked me this never saw Wicked, they also asked the connection with Kansas and Judy, I explained that neither were really a part of the wicked story.

May be looking too deeply in to it. Anyway, thanks for your insight : )

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#12WHY Everyday Rapture? Another Question?
Posted: 7/4/10 at 12:34am

Idina was a Amneris replacement. Hence Sherie's comment about being friends with every actress who replaced her in shows. Wicked was the show that propelled Idina into the "spotlight".

While she wasn't actually born there Sherie did spend most of her life in Kansas.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Luv2goToShows
#13WHY Everyday Rapture? Another Question?
Posted: 7/4/10 at 10:02am

Thank you very much Eris : )

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14WHY Everyday Rapture? Another Question?
Posted: 7/4/10 at 10:45am

I'm not sure I get the whole "replacement" thing.

Scott replaced Megan Mullaly in GREASE.
Scott replaced Idina Menzel in RENT.
Menzel replaced Scott in AIDA.
Rachel York replaced Scott in DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS.
Heidi Blickenstaff replaced Scott in THE LITTLE MERMAID.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#15WHY Everyday Rapture? Another Question?
Posted: 7/4/10 at 1:56pm

SPOILER......

In the show Eamon's character is someone Sherie has an email exchange with and he feels that if she were the "real" SRS then she would be friends with Idina. Which brought on Sherie's sarcastic comment about being friends with everyone who has replaced her in shows. I don't feel she was making a negative comment about being replaced. It was more kinda mocking the idea that since Idina replaced Sherie then they HAVE to be friends.

Videos