pixeltracker

In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .

In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .

bwaybri2
#1In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 2:12pm

Our arts magnet school has the rights to "13" this fall and we have been in contact with JRB's people to bring him out for a 2 day workshop. After reading about him and his temperment, I'm wondering if it would be a good thing?

Has anyone seen him work with 14-16 year olds. The quality of our students in above average but we are no where near equity/broadway standards?

Thank you for your thoughts -

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 2:14pm

You'll be fine, just make sure each student has their iTunes receipts for L5Y, 13, PARADE, SONGS FOR A NEW WORLD, etc. In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 7/5/10 at 02:14 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 2:48pm

He's done it before so he might say yes to you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdUJa_KmkU

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#3In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 2:51pm

sorry, but what recent JRB news? I haven't seen anything...

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

iluvtheatertrash
#4In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 3:19pm

Jason is a kind, funny and loving talent. The man devoted a year of his life - probably more - to a project about 13 year olds. What he's fighting for is his copyright.

I made a stupid assumption about JRB once on here and was contacted personally by him with the sweetest message regarding it. No anger, no heat, no pretense. Just a nice guy who is one helluva talent.

You'd be blessed to share the room with him, IMO.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#5In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 3:32pm

The "news" is a recent exchange he had with a teenager over e-mail regarding illegal downloading/printing/use of his sheet music. Jason Robert Brown made an account on an illegal file-sharing website and politely e-mailed many users who were illegally sharing his sheet music asking them to take it down. Most complied, but one user got into a heated discussion with him, which he then posted on his website. Read the whole thing on the link below. I think he was justified in his opinion and probably wouldn't act angry towards teenagers during a workshop, especially since you have legally obtained the rights to do "13."
JRB's Blog

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

Chris3
#6In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 3:45pm

JRB says "I've got my fill of teenagers" in that video

Updated On: 7/5/10 at 03:45 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 7:12pm

I'm sure IF he agrees to do it, he'd be fine and it would be a great experience for those involved.

Cannot give you any info as to whether he'd be willing though.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jon
#8In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 7:32pm

Just make sure no one has xeroxed copies of the music!

Yankeefan007
#9In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/5/10 at 7:50pm

Or mentions all that legal action around LAST 5 YEARS.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#10In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/6/10 at 12:05pm

Wait, where's the concern? I just read his whole post, and he's extremely kind and intelligent. He seems like a great person to have speak to students. If you can stay nice on the internet, you can stay nice in real life...

IAMWHATIAM Profile Photo
IAMWHATIAM
#11In light of the recent Jason Robert Brown news . . .
Posted: 7/6/10 at 1:13pm

Jason spent a week at my son's camp last summer working with a lucky group of kids on a production of 13. Jason was making some changes to the show and workshopping it before making it available for license. The kids were all between the ages of approximately 12 and 15 (my son was 12 at the time), except for 2 older campers who made a guest appearance. My son still talks about the experience regularly and harbors a little fear that no show experience will match that one. The kids were pushed very, very hard (but it’s a performing arts camp, so they always are, and they live for that). They only had about 3 weeks to rehearse, from start to finish, and Jason came up to camp for the last week. I can’t speak for all the kids, although I think they’d probably agree with my son, who felt that Jason was great to work with. Yes, he expected a lot from them, and he let them know that he did. Jason treated the kids with a tremendous amount of respect, both personally and professionally, and he was appropriately strong, tough, generous and nurturing in working with them. They knew how special it was to have the kind of access they were having and what an opportunity it was (and they realized it while it was going on, which was impressive for kids). I think they all learned a lot from him and really honed their craft, and walked away having greatly upped their game (I know that my son certainly did). They also walked away greatly respecting Jason.

Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love