Stephen Lynch

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:28am

Singer-songwriter-comedian Stephen Lynch did a pretty good job leading a show in The Wedding Singer, but he hasn't made any more trips back to Broadway since. What do you think would be a good show for him to appear in again if he ever chose to return?

Call me crazy, but if Company comes back within the next few years (and who knows at this rate of rapid revivals), he might make an interesting Bobby.

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#2Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:39am

I know he would like to, he talks about wanting to do Rent and he has auditioned several times. But, he took a lot of crap from some of his fans and other comedians for doing broadway. I don't get what the big deal was but I am not sure if he would want to have to go through that again.
Updated On: 7/14/10 at 09:39 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:45am

The reaction to Lynch doing Broadway was that generation's equivalent to the reaction Bob Saget got when he signed on for "Full House" in the early nineties- the darkest, most depraved comic hanging up their barbs in favor of "light family entertainment." Even if Wedding Singer wasn't entirely that sort of thing, it still got that sort of reaction.

byebyebaby12
#3Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 9:49am

I thought it was more like that the fans have this picture in their head about Broadway and think he was doing tap numbers in a sequined suit.

Updated On: 7/14/10 at 09:49 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:17am

The sad thing is that he comes from a theatre background. It's not like he suddenly decided to try it. He was an apprentice at the same theatre I was in Michigan.

In fact, he is doing an event there August 13th.

http://barntheatre.com/

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 7/14/10 at 10:17 AM

byebyebaby12
#5Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 10:22am

I think it is hilarious that people who are fans of a singing comedian would be so against broadway.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#6Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:09am

He also took on the thankless task of playing a watered-down role that, in the film, had featured a hugely over the top performance by Adam Sandler. No matter what your opinion of Sandler, Lynch's version of the role was limp by comparison (mostly due to bad writing). The show was pointless.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#7Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:28am

I thought Lynch was by far the best thing about the show, which was fairly mediocre. I found him very honest and affecting on stage and was really impressed. I'd love to have him back.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#8Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:34am

I have to partially agree with both NEWINTOWN'S and TARYN'S posts above.

Follwing Sandler in the role he created was truly thankless and not likely to live up to the edited antics of a film shoot.

However, TWS was a fun show led by Lynch, who was totally just talented and likeable enough to make it work.

I wish it had played longer and that they didn't make so many bad choices (changes) on the tour.

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#9Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:46am

Had to add this after seeing another post on the boards...

Stephen Lynch's next role should be Vernon in "THEY'RE PLAYING OUR SONG".

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#10Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 11:50am

Sorry but i have to say that i think Lynch had far more heart in that role than 'screen time whore' Sandler had.

I spoke to him when he was here in the UK doing a live show and he was such a nice guy. He spoke about how much he loved the show and would go back to Broadway in a heartbeat if the role was right.

I was thrilled i got to see him and talk to him because i travelled for miles to watch him since i could not make his show in my local area.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 12:00pm

I remember being impressed with Lynch when I saw TWS. It's a mediocre at best show that he basically carried.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#12Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 12:17pm

Exactly. Being charismatic in a crappy role/terrible show is nice, but it doesn't much help a career.
Updated On: 7/14/10 at 12:17 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#13Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:04pm

I'm inclined to say the musical was better than the film, and Lynch made a better Robbie Hart than Adam Sandler did, but it's a moot point.

What isn't a moot point is that Lynch should still be welcome as a Broadway star, and seems open to doing it.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#14Stephen Lynch
Posted: 7/14/10 at 2:28pm

He was delightful in The Wedding Singer and brought much more to the character than what was written. I'd love to see him back on Broadway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body