pixeltracker

Beauty and the Beast National Tour review

Beauty and the Beast National Tour review

beautywickedlover
#1Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 12:12pm

I saw the show yesterday and I loved every second of it. I forgotten how much heart the musical had. That was something that was usally lacking in Disney's most recent musicals like "Tarzan" and "The Little Mermaid." It was the first musical I ever saw and reminded me of how much I enjoy theatre. Although the show was scaled down the sets worked perfectly.

The standouts:

LIZ SHIVENER:Wonderful performance from her! She played Belle just the way I always have pictured her. I loved her voice and acting.

JUSTIN GLASER: Terricfic acting and singing. He also brought some humor to the role of the Beast.

NATHANIEL HACKMANN: He was definetley perfect for the role of Gaston. He was funny and evil. I also thought his voice was very strong.

MERRITT DAVID JANES: Excellent as Lumiere. His acting, singing, and dancing were some of the standouts.

Other notes: The library in the castle could have been better, but that was the only flaw I found in the show. I also did not mind that the songs "No Matter What" and "Mansion se Lunes" were cut. "No Matter What" was replaced with a sweet moment where Maurice talked about Belle's mother. The battle between the Enchanted Objects and the Villagers was also cut, but it was not a big deal.

Also here's an interview with Liz. She basically agrees with me on how Belle is not a damsal in distress and got her Happily Ever After all on her own:

http://www.wfaa.com/good-morning-texas/Meet-the-Star-of-Beauty-and-the-Beast-98509899.html

Updated On: 7/26/10 at 12:12 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:00pm

They really messed up the spelling of her name in that video.

Anyways, I checked out her Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/lizshivener) and am a bit underwhelmed by her "A Change in Me." She hits a sour note somewhere between 2:10 and 2:14. I have heard better renditions of the song, and I felt hers was somewhat bland. That said, I don't want to bash her as a performer, because I have not seen her in the context of the show and understand that this is a single video from a morning program. My comments are solely based on this one video. Has anyone else seen her as Belle?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 7/26/10 at 01:00 PM

Proper Villain Profile Photo
Proper Villain
#2Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:11pm

Ha! Otterbein plug.

"Are we being attacked or entertained?" - MST3K My theatre poster/logo portfolio: http://www.listenterprises.com/

rjm516
#3Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:44pm

I did an online quiz (Sporcle.com) where you had to fill in the title of the movie when given a brief description. The description for Beauty & The Beast was "French girl gets kidnapped into monster's castle, develops Stockholm Syndrome." Hahahaha

eatlasagna
#4Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:51pm

so in this new tour Maurice is no longer Belle's father???

beautywickedlover
#5Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 1:54pm

"so in this new tour Maurice is no longer Belle's father???"

I meant he talked about Belle's MOTHER. My bad! Maurice is still Belle's father.

I also wanted to say that I could really feel pain for the Beast when Justin sang "If I Can't Love Her" and "If I Can't Love Her Reprise." The cast was also very nice at the stage door. Updated On: 7/26/10 at 01:54 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 2:01pm

The cast was also very nice at the stage door.

THIS bit of news just made me book a block of 20 seats to this low-budget production!

Forget everything else that's been said about this tour.

Whoop-yeah! Beauty and the Beast National Tour review

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#7Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 2:45pm

Thanks for the review!? How did they do the library set? I was also wondering how the Prologue worked? What was the opening curtain for the show?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

beautywickedlover
#8Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:03pm

"How did they do the library set? I was also wondering how the Prologue worked? What was the opening curtain for the show?"

The library was a tall piece of carboard that looked like a stack of bboks. The prolouge had the Enchantress float in the air and the lights flashed when the prince transformed into a Beast. The curtain was purple with a rose.

eatlasagna
#9Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 3:34pm

hmm... i can see No Matter What being cut and Maison de Lunes as well...

so do the villager not attack the castle anymore? what exactly happens during that scene starting from the Gaston and the villagers singing

beautywickedlover
#10Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/26/10 at 6:24pm

"so do the villager not attack the castle anymore? what exactly happens during that scene starting from the Gaston and the villagers singing"

They still sing "Kill the Beast," but after Gaston and the villagers bang on the door of the castle Lumiere tells the Beast that they are under attack and the Beast says it doesn't matter anymore. Then after Lumiere leaves the fight between Gaston and the Beast begins.

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#11Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/27/10 at 12:24pm

hmm I was wondering if this tour would be something to see. It's coming to my city in a couple weeks. I'm not sold on going yet. Thankfully I would only be paying $10 to see it.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/27/10 at 12:29pm

For $10, why not?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#13Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/28/10 at 5:13am

Aww, sad times, I LOVE the battle scene. I see they've kept the ridiculous big-belt ending to "A Change in Me" that is the exact opposite of the point of the song.

Some questions, if you don't mind...

When you say that Justin "brought some humor to the role", do you mean that he acted like a whining child? I've seen Beasts play scenes that way for laughs and it made me want to punch babies.

Does the Beast still fly during the Transformation?

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#14Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/28/10 at 10:45am

I saw the tour in June and I didn't like the Beast at ALL. His singing was great, but all of his mannerisms were completely over the top. Yes, you're a Beast, but you don't have to move around the stage like you're in a Beast costume at Disneyworld. He just really annoyed me. Like the part where Belle treats his wounds from the wolves, he let's out this huge "OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" that went on forever. It got some laughs from the children, but not so much from me. The rest of the cast was pretty good, but not as great as the OP makes them out to be. And yes, the Beast does fly around during the transformation, but to me, the transformation wasn't as magical as it was when I saw it on Broadway..........actually, nothing was as magical as it was when I saw it on Broadway......but hey, that's just my opinion :)

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#15Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:15am

I'll be seeing this next month in SF and am pretty excited. I'm bringing my younger cousin with me and it will be her first musical theater experience, she loves Beauty and the Beast.

beautywickedlover
#16Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:31am

'When you say that Justin "brought some humor to the role", do you mean that he acted like a whining child? I've seen Beasts play scenes that way for laughs and it made me want to punch babies.'

When Belle treats his wound he lets out a scream that is funny. It was also funny when he was trying to ask Belle to come down to dinner. The Beast could not understand that the Enchanted Objects were trying to make him say please.

I also forgot to mention that he brought the serious side to the role also. I felt very sad for the Beast when he sang "If I Can't Love Her" and "If I Can't Love Her Reprise." Updated On: 7/28/10 at 11:31 AM

fnyboi88 Profile Photo
fnyboi88
#17Beauty and the Beast National Tour review
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:40pm

Well it should do, I'm partially going to see it for myself cause BATB is my favorite childhood Disney film. I saw the Broadway production, so I'll go into it not expecting much. It's just something I want take my little nephew to. So it will be just fine for him.

Broadway Shows I've Seen: Hairspray, Chicago, Little Shop of Horrors (2003), The Wedding Singer, Spamalot, Riverdance, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, Spring Awakening, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, Sweet Charity (revival), Drowsy Chaperone, The Lion King, Dreamgirls(2010 Tour).