Next Shows to Close?

Barney Stinson
#50Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 2:20pm

I think N2N could be in trouble come September. It's only cracked $300K once since Ripley left - and we're in August. Apparently the nut is only $225K, so the show needs to clear over $250K in grosses to make money.

Would the theater boot them though?

People seem to think AI will close, but it's grosses look fine to me - compared to their nut. Their theater is way too big of course, but absent the theater booting them, why do people think it's doing so badly?

Definitely worried about ROA too. We'll see in September if Constantine Maroulis was selling any tickets or not.

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#51Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 3:21pm

I don't think NEXT TO NORMAL has to worry about the stop clause because by the standards at the Booth theater it is actually doing well.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

nexttotheheights
#52Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 3:25pm

In addition to my last comment it is the longest running show at the Boothe. It just recently surpassed Sunday in the Park with George.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#53Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 3:48pm

That's a rather sad track record for the theater!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#54Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 3:52pm

I am wondering why people continuously thing American Idiot is in danger? Yes the theatre is far too large, but in relation to its running costs, the show is not doing badly by any means.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

nexttotheheights
#55Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 4:37pm

dramamama,

At least it's something...

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#56Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 5:54pm

American Idiot may be making its running costs, but the real question is if it's meeting it house percent as dictated by the St James. They could be forced out.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

swimmingzeppo
#57Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 6:17pm

Is predicting another pre-opening closing of Spider-man too snarky? If not, it's a really tempting wager.

dramamama611
#58Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/20/10 at 9:16pm

I believe the thought is that it has a limited audience and that it can't sustain its numbers through the lean months.

Of course, only time will tell.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadwayworldreader
#59Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/21/10 at 5:49pm

Genuine question: Why is a show like Jersey Boys still around? It seems like there's been no new news in forever regarding the show. At this point is anyone else bored?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#60Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/21/10 at 5:56pm

^ I don't understand your question. Jersey Boys is not a show relying on members of this board to be in its audience.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#61Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/21/10 at 6:02pm

re: JERSEY BOYS

Have you looked at the grosses?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.cfm?show=JERSEY%20BOYS

So far this year it has grossed $34 million with an operating cost of around $17 million. Each year the Broadway production alone nets around $30 million! It's such a blockbuster hit that it doesn't need a plethora of articles.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

dramamama611
#62Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/21/10 at 6:21pm

why is Phantom around?
Why is Mamma Mia around?
Wicked?

Because the tourists pay good money to see them. Plain and simple.

MeggilyWeggily08 Profile Photo
MeggilyWeggily08
#63Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 11:01am

Unless they do something to start drawing audiences in (I've always taken note of their lack of advertising compared to other shows) I don't think Next To Normal will make it through January even, unfortunately. I'd say October or November. I saw the show yesterday and in the mezzanine there were 2 entire rows empty, and 2 rows with only 3 or 4 people in the center. The rest of the mezz just had scattered groups of like 5 empty seats in a row, and a section on the right was totally empty. I wasn't keeping track of time and couldn't believe how empty it was when the cell phone announcement came.

dramamama611
#64Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 11:09am

Well....if it makes it to November, they'll hold on for the holiday surge most likely.

I love N2N so I'm certainly not hoping for its demise -- but it's been on TDF nearly every day for months -- they are near the end.

It lasted so much longer than so many predicted.

evic
#65Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:01pm

The next 5-6 weeks will be crucial for to a few shows .....Students are starting school, early Jewish holidays, lack of group sales advances, new productions finally previewing.....the long runs will all remain but 4 shows are definitely in trouble. I saw Addams was on tkts yesterday.....surprised by this - that was quick.

broadwayworldreader
#66Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:01pm

yea, in retrospect it was a dumb question. I guess in a moment of weakness I actually believed more provocative theatre might make a more lasting impression than the commercially viable on Broadway. How stupid of me.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#67Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:11pm

I love N2N so I'm certainly not hoping for its demise -- but it's been on TDF nearly every day for months -- they are near the end.

It lasted so much longer than so many predicted.

We agree, again, dramamama! The show is certainly on its last legs, and even if/when it closes (which I think will happen in October), it will have run a lot longer than anyone anticipated, including myself.

dramamama611
#68Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:27pm

I didn't think I'd be seeing the show again, but after the rave reviews of the new cast....I couldn't resist.

I'm taking my sister (her first time) on Tuesday night.

Updated On: 8/22/10 at 12:27 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#69Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:29pm

All these October predicted closing dates for N2N are so funny.A show that has yet to loose money, is doing OK at the moment etc is only gonna last 2 months...come on, really?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

dramamama611
#70Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:33pm

But they have come in incredibly close -- and who knows what their advance sales look like. THAT is the most determining show for shows on the brink.

I think it might last to January, but I've been saying that for quite some time.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#71Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 12:46pm

All these October predicted closing dates for N2N are so funny.A show that has yet to loose money, is doing OK at the moment etc is only gonna last 2 months...come on, really?

The fact that the show is (barely) making money in the summer is no indicator of its fall business, when every show but Wicked, The Lion King, and Jersey Boys see a drop in grosses. If n2n's gross is hovering this close to its running costs now, it's going to dip well below that come the fall. Given the discounts their offering in the fall ($59 for all performances, including weekends), it's a fairly safe assumption that their advance beyond Labor Day is very low. As dramamama said, a show's advance is a much bigger factor in determining whether it will run or not than a show's actual weekly gross. Look at WSS, their wekly grosses are still above their nut, but they're widely rumored to be closing by the end of the year to make way for Priscilla. The writing seems to be on the wall for n2n: the advertising has slowed down, huge discounts on tickets, a dismissive review from the NY Times that they opted to not even put in the paper, and a complete lack of buzz around the replacements (completely upstaged by the replacement duo that set up shop on 48th street). I'm as big a supporter of the show as you're likely to find, but let's be pragmatic about this. The show isn't Cats- it's not now and forever, and the end is near.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#72Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 1:08pm

As much as the thought of Next to Normal (possibly) closing saddens me, they really have had a great run and certainly outlasted anyone's expectations...I saw the show when it was down in DC and I remember when the news broke that it was coming to Broadway my friends and I were so excited but we were also convinced they would be closed within a couple of months. The fact that they broke even is in and of itself an accomplishment, especially for a show like Next to Normal that is very small and serious and sad.

tommyboy
#73Next Shows to Close?
Posted: 8/22/10 at 1:10pm

As for stunt casting, producers don't care how desperate it looks as long as it works!

Read more: https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?page=2&thread=1020863&boardid=1#ixzz0xM5KgqR2
CHICAGO got away with it for years -- it moved to the Ambassador theater which was smaller and able to show a still high percentage of seats sold.