pixeltracker

Is it time for a "Raisin" revival?

Is it time for a "Raisin" revival?

blacktie
#1Is it time for a "Raisin" revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 12:04pm

The musical adaption of "A Raisin In the Sun," "Raisin" produced multiple Tony nominations and two wins (Best Musical and Best Leading Actress).

Ruth Younger — Audra McDonald, LaChanze, Elisabeth Withers-Mendes (Can Viola Davis sing?)
Travis Younger — not sure...one of the former Simbas?
Walter Lee Younger — Kingsley Leggs
Beneatha Younger — Saycon Sengbloh, Anika Noni Rose (too old maybe?), Montego Glover, Dan'yelle Williamson
Mama Lena Younger — Loretta Devine, Tonya Pinkins, Jennifer Holliday (maybe?), Lillias White, Phylicia Rashad (not sure if she could handle the score)
Joseph Asagai - Brandon Victor Dixon, Sahr Ngaujah
Karl Linder- small part, but anyone could do it
Updated On: 8/26/10 at 12:04 PM

blacktie
morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#2Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 12:12pm

Norm Lewis would have been an incredible Walter Lee but he's a little too old for that role now. He would sing the score magnificently. (How about him doing it at Encores?)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 12:12pm

I don't think John Stamos got an Emmy nomination for this.

blacktie
#4Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 12:20pm

You're right Phyllis...I edited the original post.

According to IBDB, it played from Oct 18, 1973 until Dec 7, 1975. Updated On: 8/26/10 at 12:20 PM

WOSQ
#5Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 1:34pm

Raisin was never more than a workmanlike musical. There is nothing intrinsincally bad about the show, but there is no real raison d'etre (no pun, please). Raisin has always seemed to be a case of, "Can we tell this story better with the addition of song and dance?" never being asked nor truthfully answered.

As the recent Broadway production of the play showed everyone, the script still works in the right hands even with a less-than-dynamic male lead. A Raisin in the Sun doesn't need to be a musical.

To me this is a case of let sleeping dogs lie. At most, a production at Encores!

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 2:53pm

Despite its respectable run and Tony award, I have never heard anything from the score or heard of a subsequent production anywhere. I just never understood why it even exists.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bryan2
#7Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 3:23pm

KAD
Sidewalk Tree----great song
give the score a listen it is not bad

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#8Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 3:32pm

The score isn't bad. There are a couple gems like "Sweet Time" and "Sidewalk Tree". Virginia Capers' rendition of "A Whole Lotta Sunlight" is probably my favorite song in the entire score.

That said, I don't think there's a need for this show to be revived on Broadway. But it would be perfect for Encores.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
Updated On: 8/26/10 at 03:32 PM

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#9Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 4:18pm

The score is not bad, but I see Hallelujah, Baby! being revived before this would be.

With Irma you gotta do something!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 4:34pm

I agree...This would be perfect for Encores.

The original play is so powerful and beautifully constructed. The authors of the musical didn't add anything of value, just inserted songs that just repeated what was already there. It had a long run but did not recoup.

The Tony win happened mainly because the 1973/74 season was a particularly weak one for new musicals:

RAISIN (847 performances) FLOP
MOLLY (68 p) FLOP
GIGI (103 p) FLOP (Based on the 1958 film)
LORELEI (320 p) FLOP (update of GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES)
RAINBOW JONES (1 p) FLOP
SEXTET (9 p) FLOP
OVER HERE! (341 p) FLOP
WORDS AND MUSIC (127 p) FLOP
THE MAGIC SHOW (1859 p) HIT

The revivals - with one exception - fared poorly too:
THE DESERT SONG (15 p) FLOP
THE PAJAMA GAME (65 p) FLOP
CANDIDE (740 p) FLOP (revised version)

Not a good year for musicals on Broadway.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/26/10 at 4:45pm

IMO If people are going to ask why a musical like Raisin exists then they should start asking why a musical of Legally Blonde exists. I'll take Raisin over that show anytime.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#12Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 1:05am

And YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. And THE WEDDING SINGER. And SHREK. And THE LITTLE MERMAID.

There is a long and ever-growing lists of shows that do not need to be put on stage, or gain nothing from the translation. (LION KING at list has an original visual look to it.)

It shows the current crop of writers and producers to be sadly bereft of creativity.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

bryan2
#13Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 10:40am

Sidewalk tree is sung by Ralph Carter
played little Michael on Good Times
(useless information but trivia)

Mattbrain
#14Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 10:56am

Well, I personally love this score and I love A Raisin in the Sun, period but I don't know how a Broadway revival would fare. I think an Encores! production would be the best move and then see what happens from there.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

blacktie
#15Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 1:34pm

Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?

From the 2006 Chicago production. Ernestine Jackson, who originated Ruth Younger in the original Broadway production, portrayed Lena Younger.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#16Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 2:32pm

blacktie, thanks for posting! I LOVE her voice on "Raisin" and "Guys and Dolls".

If there is a NY production of this, I would hope that Audra McDonald would reprise her role as Ruth.

blacktie
#17Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 3:15pm

You're welcome. And yes, based on Ernestine Jackson's interpretation of Ruth, Audra McDonald's voice would suit the part perfectly.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#18Is it time for a 'Raisin' revival?
Posted: 8/27/10 at 3:43pm

Finally found my cd of this. I'm listening to it as I type this. I've forgotten what an infectious, rhythmic score this show has. I'm lovin' it. I can definitely see ENCORES! doing this.

Don't discount this musical it won the Tony for BEST MUSICAL and the GRAMMY for Best Cast Album and got very favorable reviews. Lesser shows have been given a second look, RAISIN deserves to be rediscovered.