pixeltracker

8 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!

8 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#18 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 9:59pm

Just had 5 fab days in NYC!!

First stop - American Idiot!
Lost the lottery but got $37 box seats on a "lottery loser" special. Not bad seats, although not ideal for this show. The show works much better on stage than I thought it would. I love Greenday anyway but seeing everything come together on stage was really good to watch.

So, then off to the hotel (Hotel 99) - Recently been renovated and very very nice for something that bit cheaper (and it is only 5 minutes from times square on the Subway).

We then went to TKTS and got Addams Family for Half Price (69 with the fee). Nathan Lane was out but I didn't mind. Thinking back now, the show was good fun but nothing more. The Curtain is the best for any show I have seen though! Some good songs, but as with Shrek is it filled with clonkers.

On Thursday we went and lay in the park and slept for 2 hours in the sun (yep, sunburn!). Saw Promises, Promises on the evening in the front row mezz. Paid $85, because I had read the rush seats were terrible (and walking in and seeing how far back they were I was so glad I had splashed out a little). I thought this show was absolutely fantastic all round, especially Seann Hayes and of course, Kristen Chenoweth. Katie Finneran gave a fantastic turn in Act 2. Great score, great set and great performances. This could work very well in London, with Seann/Kristen. Would do very well I think.

Friday morning I got up early to get Rush for Memphis - Front row dead centre for $26.50 and I am CHUFFED! Went to Coney Island for Hotdogs/Bacon Cheese Fries (THE BEST EVER). This was probably my favourite show that I hadn't previously seen on another trip. I was just completely drawn in. Montego and Chad were on FIRE! The score is great, and the show in general is great fun and gives out a very good message. This was also my Dad's favourite show by a long shot. Such a shame that the producers probably wouldn't risk bringing this on to London.

Saturday I got up and got A Little Night Music rush tickets ($27) for the evening, row G orchestra. FAB! Won the lottery ($26.50) in the afternoon for...
In the Heights!
Saw this last year and it is still as good as it one back then. One thing I will say though, the Promo photo of Jordan Sparks - PHOTOSHOPPED! She looks so petite in the promo shot yet she looks so much bigger on stage! She has quite a nice voice, but I don't think she was as good as the girl I saw last year.. Kyle Beltran was an excellent Usnavi and the rest of the cast were all very good!

A Little Night Music - biggest surprise of the trip. I LOVED it, and I hadn't expected to. Bernadette gave a lovely performance, and the rest of the supporting cast gave solid performances. I hadn't realised the show was so funny! I particularly loved Send in the Clowns, great to see the song in context.

Sunday saw return visits to two of my favourite shows I saw last year.
NEXT TO NORMAL - Was the first name called in the lottery!!! Front row for $25, woot! I saw the show last year and it is an incredible show.
Marin Mazzie gave the best performance I have ever seen, anywhere. Better than Alice Ripley, and better than any other performer I have ever seen. Her VOICE is unreal, and I don't know how she acts the way she does, she just gets to caught up in her performance that the emotion is so real. One of my favourite shows of all time. This would be my top pick to come to London, what I saw is proof that Alice Ripley isn't vital to the show. I sat there thinking, yep, Lyttleton, why is it not there now?

And the final show - ROCK OF AGES
Such a guilty pleasure. Won the lottery ($25) and was 2nd row mezz with (almost) full view seats. Such a great show to finish with, such good energy and a good vibe. I had forgotten how cheesy it is, but I love how the show just couldn't give a crap that it's ridiculous.

And that was my trip! Planning a return in April next year to catch the new season.

AwesomeDanny
#28 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 10:51pm

How is the new Regina in Rock of Ages? Lauren Molina is now in Chicago for a production of Candide (very excited to see that). I haven't heard anything about her replacement, but when I saw the show during previews, she was a huge stand-out to me.

It's Kristin, not Kristen.

FindingNamo
#28 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:07pm

I can't decide if you have fantastic luck or no discernible taste. Either way, at least you had a good time.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

#38 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:11pm

How crowded was the ITH Lottery?

Dollypop
#48 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:12pm

I'm thrilled that you had a chance to lay in the sun.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#58 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:27pm

Happy you enjoyed your trip!

But wow, you must have the magic touch with lottos.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#68 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/30/10 at 11:59pm

"It's Kristin, not Kristen."
Oh dear I should really know that i've just read the whole of her book this past week. The knew Regina was good actually, if abit more sang than rocked.

ITH Lottery was alright, not too busy.

lightguy06222
#78 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 2:03am

If you are traveling from the west end to NYC to see 8 shows in 5 days, why see shows you have already seen before??? Dont get me wrong, N2N is great, and ROA is fun, but how about something new?

Have you seen La Cage? Fela? Million Dollar Quartet?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#88 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 8:12am

Because its his trip so he saw what he wantd to see?

Plus i think he saw La Cage here in the UK, and MDQ....really?

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#98 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 8:18am

I never understand criticizing the choices someone has already made. What's the point?

I have to admit: I had the same thoughts as FindingNamo!

Glad you enjoyed. Nothing like overdosing on B'way Shows.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#108 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 8:42am

"If you are traveling from the west end to NYC to see 8 shows in 5 days, why see shows you have already seen before??? Dont get me wrong, N2N is great, and ROA is fun, but how about something new?

Have you seen La Cage? Fela? Million Dollar Quartet?"

I saw La Cage 5 times in London.
I already have 2nd row seats for FELA for when it comes to the National in November (and only paid £5). Million Dollar Quartet opens in London in February next year so thought I'd wait and see it then.

The only thing I won't have seen is Come Fly Away, which has absolutely no appeal to me.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#118 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 8:43am

Here, I'll do this for you Mark:

:p

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#128 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 8:54am

Haha, I do agree with lightguy though, I would never see a show on Broadway if it was still playing in the West End, there is no point, I live 10 minutes from the centre of London. The thing was though that what was left this summer was the remains of a rather quiet season. I'm sure next April we will struggle to fit everything in.

Katarina2
#138 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 8/31/10 at 4:05pm

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!! And what luck with the lottos/rushes! 8 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!

lightguy06222
#148 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 9/1/10 at 1:53am

Mark_E: I like you. You answered my question without being a snarky asshole, and still managed to agree with what I said.

I guess it didnt register to me that La Cage is a transfer from London, and Fela! Is on its way there.

In no way do I criticize show choices, i was just merely asking a legitimate question... I've seen plenty of shows multiple times, but I always do try to see the new stuff first!

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#158 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 9/1/10 at 5:20pm

My thought exactly, lightguy. This was a pleasant snark-free thread. I would like to see more of them, though part of the charm of visiting here would vanish so there should be some snark.

With Irma you gotta do something!

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#168 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 9/2/10 at 11:11pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. Hoping to get some photos up once I get home (fly back from Florida tomorrow 8 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!! )

ReiVallejo
#178 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 9/3/10 at 2:57am

I loved reading that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Also, I love LONDON. So jealous of you.

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#188 shows in 5 days - MEGA trip report!!!
Posted: 9/3/10 at 9:33am

Wow you got so lucky! I never win lotteries.

Videos