Sister Act On Broadway!

grandpianoalex
#125Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 1:07pm

^^^agreed. I keep refreshing the page and trying the video every 30-ish minutes in hopes that it has been fixed.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#126Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 2:53pm

Video is fixed.

Clark sounds gorgeous. Wish we could see more.

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#127Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 5:20pm

Whilst i usually love Victoria Clark, it's strange to hear the Mother Superior speak without an English accent!!

No offence to Clark, as its early days yet, but theres no authority in her voice. None of the steely coldness that made Maggie Smith and Sheila Hancock so good in the role.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#128Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 5:56pm

Well the truth is: the musical takes place in Philadelphia. Mother Superior should NOT have an English accent.

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#129Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 7:16pm

I didnt say she SHOULD.... i just said it seems strange to hear something different from the film and stage show.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#130Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 7:41pm

All the numbers sounded great and looked great. I'm still not crazy about When I Find My Baby, but it wasn't bad. I really cannot wait to see this show! Raise Your Voice gave me chills!!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#131Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 11:35pm

Well the truth is: the musical takes place in Philadelphia. Mother Superior should NOT have an English accent.

What if she was from England?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#132Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/3/11 at 11:53pm

I agree that the character is English as she was in the film. All the other nuns put on US accents in London so it stands to reason the character of Mother Superior is English.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#133Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 12:19am

Am i the only one that thinks Marla Mindelle is miscast? (although she really can belt to the sky.)

and Patina betta work.

bwayfan7000
#134Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 12:30am

I wonder how much Patina is holding back because it's a rehearsal in Fabulous, Baby. I do like that the number has a little more dance in it now than it did in London, and I think what from what I see here, this show is going to be very enjoyable!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#135Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 12:48am

inlovewithjerryherman, I haven't seen it yet, and I'll admit that I love me some Marla, but I think she be amazing. I'm going to wait until I hear "Life I Never Led". Any chance they'll restore the original ending? I think she'll rock it. Damn, she can SING.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#136Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 12:56am

Weirdly, the London Cast Album is suddenly gone from iTunes. Might lend credence to the idea that they are doing another album...

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#137Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 7:11am

http://sh-k-boom.com/sisteract.shtml

It's just the London cast recording.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#138Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 11:06am

'Well the truth is: the musical takes place in Philadelphia. Mother Superior should NOT have an English accent. '

Sally Dexter done an Irish accent.

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Swirly Profile Photo
Swirly
#139Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 11:49am

oh well. I wanted this show to be good *or at least better than London*. From the looks of the press function I don't think it looks fabulous at all. Patina - beautiful performer (but questionable vocals & oh goodness that ... acting). The Fabulous number seems to be the best .......... It was the best song in London -sad. Just hope they cut the guys stuff down or out of the show. who cares. not sure about the men cast. They seem, at most, tepid. The music seems uninteresting. The nun number looks okay. The musical appears to still be a second rate version of the film - like most of the performances. yes, this Marla seems miscast. Excited to hear Victoria Clark.... But beyond beyond a star producer, revival clapping, and some basic lit sets this Sister appears a dud (like in London). Yeah, it's feel good fun for families but ... I have a feeling I will rent the movie than pay for this again. Priscilla is much more fun for the "feel good". I'll be adding this to my list that includes Wonderland and Spiderman.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#140Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 4:24pm

And Dolores has a very strong Southern accent. I found that more distracting when I saw Patina.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

JamieHT
#141Sister Act On Broadway!
Posted: 3/4/11 at 5:32pm

I have to disagree, Swirly. I just don't get the appeal of Priscilla. The costumes are good, but I already know I like those songs, so I'd rather go to a club and dance to them there. I didn't feel good coming out after, I also think the song list in London is better for Priscilla. I just felt a bit let down. I hadn't seen the film when I saw the show first. When I saw the film I was even more let down by the show.

My favourite thing about Sister Act is the music, I went to the show originally with a lot of trepidation because I loved the songs from the film so much. Nowadays the Musical Soundtrack compared to the film wins hands down. I agree that 'Lady in the Long Black Dress' should be changed but I love 'When I Find My Baby.'

I don't think it matters where the Mother Superior comes from, she could be German for all I care as long as they play the role right. I saw 4 people play the role in London, and my favourite was Sally Dexter who put an Irish accent on for it. I think it was the way she played it very stern.

I'm not sure about Mary Robert. Could go either way. Mary Lazarus doesn't seem/sound old enough, but she delivers the lines quite well.

The new dialogue is interesting. It seems strange to me to set it at Christmas, the Birthday made more sense I thought. Anyway, I can't wait to see it, as there hasn't been a show in a long time which makes me feel as good when I come out afterwards, than Sister Act.

Once you start to spread it, Baby, if you let it, Love comes right on back to you . . .