Next to Normal (Finland) Clips

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#1Next to Normal (Finland) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 4:29pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJaTsfUeCYE

Comments? Concerns?

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.
Updated On: 12/9/10 at 04:29 PM

Chrranke Profile Photo
Chrranke
#2Next to Normal (Not Norway but Finland) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 4:50pm

This is definetly not from the norway production. Seen it 4 times and I know norwegian. This is not norwegian. This is from Finland
Updated On: 12/9/10 at 04:50 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 4:58pm

I much prefer the staging of the original production. I guess it's just a video clip, though. A lot of the things I like about N2N are the darkness, e.g. at the opening, at the end when Dan is in the chair, when Gabe steps into the shadows and things. And then if the staging needs to be bright and 'surreal' (e.g. through "I'm Alive") it can be done. Can a stage that is permanently white have the same effect?’ It will always seem surreal. The shiny silver seats and things don't help.

I wonder how long it will be before we have productions where Gabe throws people around the stage or actually cuts Diana's wrist with a knife/blood :P. I liked it better when Kyle Dean was twirling around the stage Next to Normal (Norway) Clips, and more subtle. An obnoxious brat boy will make their relationship/the pain of her loss less plausible. There is a reason Kyle Dean and Aaron Tveit read as very charming, imo.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/9/10 at 04:58 PM

nexttotheheights Profile Photo
nexttotheheights
#3Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 5:16pm

^I agree, i see this as a more literal interpretation. It's not bad, but it's not what made me fall in love with Next to normal in the first place.

For those who thought NEXT TO NORMAL wouldn't have a life outside Broadway, well it's now playing in 4 cities, 9 different countries and has been translated into 6 languages.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#4Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 7:20pm

I prefer the simplistic nature of the broadway set. The cast sounds nice though.

DeNada
#5Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/9/10 at 7:38pm

Ah, it's the Helsinki City Theatre! These guys are the premiere musical theatre people in Finland; they premiere everything in their own productions like WICKED, MARY POPPINS, SPRING AWAKENING, REBECCA etc. NEXT TO NORMAL is the kind of show that suits them really - good singers and actors but they don't have much in the way of dancers.

Looks okay - I'm glad N2N is having a life around the world in all these professional productions. Can't wait for the first Asian version...

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#6Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/10/10 at 5:17am

That Gabe is the most scrawny.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#7Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/11/10 at 8:31am

this is the oddest sh!t I have seen in ages.......*wow*

Clint. Atlanta,GA

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/11/10 at 8:42am

Is this the same theater that recently did the first authorized non-Broadway staging of Wicked?

ahhrealmonsters
#9Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/11/10 at 11:32pm

I can't figure out if the Goodman family is composed of aliens or robots...

bwayfan7000
#10Next to Normal (Norway) Clips
Posted: 12/12/10 at 12:49am

That looked so cartoon-y it might as well have been actually animated.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos