Patti LuPone Memoir

SondheimFan23 Profile Photo
SondheimFan23
#1Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:17pm

Is it worth reading?

"Look I made a hat... where there never was a hat." "Think of how I adore you, think of how much you love me. If I were perfect for you, wouldn't you tire of me?" "Somebody, crowd me with love. Somebody, force me to care. Somebody, make me come through, I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive. Being alive. Being alive. Being alive!" "There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture after sleeping on the ferry after getting up at seven to come over to an island in the middle of a river half an hour from the city on a Sunday!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:18pm

Hell yes.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:25pm

It's bitchy and amusing, I guess. I think it could have been better written.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:27pm

It's a memoir, so hearing La LuPone's thoughts from her own head is worth it alone...It also helped rekindle my hatred for Andrew Lloyd Webber.

A resounding yes for me!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

FindingNamo
#4Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:30pm

I'm waiting for the paperback and the bonus Women on the Verge chapter.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:33pm

I'll admit the Sunset Boulevard chapters were interesting, but I'd like to hear Hal Prince's side of the Evita tales LuPone tells. I wouldn't dare ask him myself, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:47pm

Why would you expect Hal Prince's side of the story to be included in LuPone's bio? If he has an interest in re-telling the events as he perceived them, he can write his own memoirs (and I'd buy them, because the man has had a remarkable career).

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#7Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 9:48pm

Since I'm mentioned in it, yes.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

gvanover Profile Photo
gvanover
#8Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 10:15pm

READ IT!

If you want a juicy, over the top, diva-licious inside view on some of the biggest Broadway hits (and flops), read it. Even though Patti has had her own rap in the theatre world, I really felt for her in the two chapters devoted to "Sunset Boulevard".

"She couldn't act scared on a New York City subway at three in the morning."- A review of Sarah Brightman for "The Phantom of the Opera"

ndrwmls10
#9Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 10:49pm

I loved the book. I would personally get the audiobook. She's a remarkable woman.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#10Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 10:59pm

If you have to ask in the first place I wouldn't bother. I read it and formed my own opinions, and I didn't need other people to tell me what I should think about it first.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Gothampc
#11Patti LuPone Memoir
Posted: 12/28/10 at 11:18pm

If you have Netflix, get "The Time of Your Life" before reading it. All the actors in this show were Julliard students with Patti and they all went on to form The Acting Company after graduation. She has two or three chapters based on those years and it helps to put faces to the names. It's interesting how some of them went on to be famous (Kevin Kline), some were working actors that never achieved fame and some were never heard from again.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Videos