pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:00pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 1/23/2011 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/grosses.cfm

beautywickedlover
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:03pm

Ouch "Billy Elliot!" I've never seen its gross that low. I know this is a week where grosses are usually bad, but to see numbers like that for "Billy Elliot" is surprising.
Updated On: 1/24/11 at 03:03 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:05pm

Lot's of shows dropping this week
American Idiot's gross is pretty good though, high priced average ticket sales.

Spider- Man fell in attendence slightly but they still made a nice amount of money.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:08pm

Kinda shocked at how steeply MAMMA MIA fell.

beautywickedlover
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:11pm

"Kinda shocked at how steeply MAMMA MIA fell."

It grossed $591,889 the same week last year. So its not very surprising.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 3:41pm

Talk about drops look at 'The Lion King', I had to do a double take 68.8%, must be its lowest average ever, not worried though as I know it be back on its game soon.

ahhrealmonsters
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 7:08pm

Billy Elliot has been slowly declining. Its Playbills are in B&W (which I know isn't saying much, but Jersey Boys is still in color), and it's been on TKTS for 50% nearly every day. I don't think it did as poorly last year this time, but it is declining.

You really can tell which shows are tourist traps by looking at the rapid declines- Mamma Mia, Chicago, etc.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 9:11pm

I marvel at the durability of "Chicago". It always seems to withstand the difficulties of the winter months. I plan to see it on Thursday, March 17th. Jason Sands is cuute. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 10:40pm

It was also freezing all week. I doubt many people from New York/New Jersey decided to take a last minute trip into the city to see a show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

dramarama3
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 10:50pm

Believe it or not, each week I look at this and every single time I get a little shock when I see that Chicago's still open.

Formerly 'dramarama2'

NotSinceCarrie2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/24/11 at 11:59pm

I feel like Chicago is staying around (A) to make it into the top 5 long-runners (within a month or two) and (B) to retroactively "beat" A Chorus Line (within this year).

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/25/11 at 5:52am

Why the surprise? Chicago has become a tourist trap, and just so happens, it is so cheap to produce.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/25/11 at 7:08am

CHICAGO (and many of the big tourist shows) do so well in teh summer and holiday seasons that they can coast through some lean weeks in the winter.

A show that has had a long profitable run is far less vulnerable than new shows struggling to recoup.

I do think it's healthier to have a rotation of new shows coming in all the time and every time there are stories about "booking jams" and no theatres available for the new product I can't help but wish the theater owners would look to close productions that have outlived their appeal.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ace33
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/25/11 at 9:26am

I dont understand the percentages for MEMPHIS... the gross went down but the % went up?

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/23
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:47am

Ace33, attendance for Memphis was higher than last week, but the average ticket price was about nine dollars lower.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

Videos