pixeltracker

I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please

I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#1I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 1:12am

Hi everyone. I am going to be in NYC March 11-13. I will be seeing the first preview for Catch Me If You Can, The Book of Mormon and Anything Goes. I need a show to see sunday afternoon so many of the shows in previews dont have sunday performances. I am considering La Cage, American Idiot and Bengal Tiger. I have never seen a non musical in my 3 other trips to the city and had hoped to change that with Driving Miss Daisy but I am a big Williams fan and the piece seems timely. I like the music in AI and La Cage is a classic. I'd love to hear your opinions to make picking a little easier.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

littlepaperstars
#2I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 1:55am

I would go with AI.

My blog: http://thebroadwaybostonian.wordpress.com/

Moneyspider
#2I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 3:19am

In general, I prefer to give advice with a better sense of someone's taste and what their expectations are. I really enjoyed both Cage and AI but, short of you being a huge Green Day, I would recommend Cage. It's incredibly close for me but when I consider what I've recommended to friends and family, Cage has the edge.

musicalman2
#3I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 9:01am

I would do AI, no question. La Cage is a nice production, although I have no desire to see it with the two new leads. AI is completely thrilling and if you like the music already, you'll have an even better time.

rorschach37
#4I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 9:33am

I haven't seen La Cage yet, but I've seen AI twice already and it is really an energetic, thrilling piece. It gets a lot of hate on here simply for not being a traditional musical, but I really do applaud Green Day for creating something that both Green Day and Broadway fans can enjoy.

willep
#5I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 10:39am

I vote for Bengal. La Cage is good, but is lacking energy these days. I haven't seen AI.

tapfrog
#6I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 11:56am

I'd recommend that you break from your tradition and see a play - especially if you can get into Driving Miss Daisy. The cast is of such high caliber and you won't get a chance to see that talent together again. Consider it a master class.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#7I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/23/11 at 6:42pm

Definitely American Idiot. Saw La Cage with Hodge and Grammer once, and it was amazing, but with the reviews the two new leads are getting, skip it.

American Idiot will blow you away, if you open to this kind of show. I went in not knowing much about it but have been 3 times since. It's amazing.

Theatreboy49
#8I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/28/11 at 3:39pm

I am unable to see Driving Miss Daisy (or Arcadia for that matter) due to them not having sunday performances. And I am also bumping this just to get a couple more opinions.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#9I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/28/11 at 3:45pm

I would go and see Spiderman, for the sole purpose it is important for any theatre aficionado to deferential between good and bad shows.

BroadwayBoy3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy3
#10I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/28/11 at 4:16pm

Hands down Priscilla: Queen of the Desert! Overall great show! Faulous cast, costumes, set, and story. You will NOT regret it!

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#11I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/28/11 at 10:22pm

I recommend American Idiot. I saw it and loved it.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#12I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 2/28/11 at 10:29pm

i would choose either Priscilla or How to Succeed (based on the advance word).

I would not recommend American Idiot based on the shows you have already chosen. I would also not recommend La Cage, as Fierstein's performance is going to be massively hit or miss for everyone, but if you're willing to take the risk, it's apparently a great production, and you should go for it.

Theatreboy49
#13I need help picking the 4th show of my trip, opinions please
Posted: 3/1/11 at 7:17pm

Priscilla doesnt really do much for me and How to Succeed also doesnt play on sundays. If all the shows were running normal schedule I would be set. Now with Sieber being added to La Cage that has made it more intresting but i am still torn between the 3.

Videos