pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 23

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#550Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:40pm

There is a new Mama Morton and a Billy Flynn appearing in Chicago very soon. They are first timers. I've never heard of them. (via Telecharge)

Amra Fay Wright as Velma (thru 1/25/15)
Bianca Marroquin as Roxie (thru 11/30; 12/22 - 3/22/15)
Amy Spanger as Roxie (12/1 - 12/21)
Christopher Fitzgerald as Billy Flynn (thru 11/30)
Pasquale Aleardi as Billy Flynn (12/1 - 12/7)
Carmen Ruby Floyd as Mama Morton (thru 11/30)
Na Tasha Yvette Williams as Mama Morton (12/1 - 3/29/15)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos (thru 2/1)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 5/31/15)

Here is a video of Aleardi during Chicago rehearsals. Who is the guy rehearsing with him?

Aleardi

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 11/24/14 at 10:40 PM

KanderEbb Profile Photo
KanderEbb
#551Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:41pm

Personally I think Fitzgerald, no doubt a great actor, is more suitable as Amos than as Billy Flynn, especially comparing to James Naughton. For me, Fitzgerald was trying too hard at the "Razzle Dazzle", but overall gave a delightful performance. Amra, on the contrary, is a solid dancer and a smart actor. I sat in the 2nd row, so I saw lots of creative details of her interpretation. Totally loved her Velma last night, and last night only so far.
Yes. Bianca Marroquin changed her acting often. She acted extraordinarily hard, maybe partly because she was kind of under the weather last night. You could tell from her voice.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#552Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:47pm

This is Na Tasha Yvette Williams.
Na Tasha

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#553Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:52pm

Na Tasha Yvette Williams was fantastic in Porgy and Bess. Many wanted to see her receive a Tony nomination, but it didn't happen.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#554Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/14 at 11:00pm

David Bushman is the one in the video with Aleardi. He's the company's dance captain.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#555Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/5/14 at 5:10pm

John O Hurley joins the Broadway company of "Chicago" for limited run. He has lots of fans out there.
John O Hurley

Patti LuPone FANatic
#556Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 6:54pm

I found this video (NealB.TV). Neal B (the host) does some interviews and shows us a few clips of performances from that momentous night.

Chicago

Updated On: 12/6/14 at 06:54 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#557Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 8:13pm

Tonight, the "Chicago" revival celebrates its 7500th performance on Broadway. WOW!

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#558Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 8:27pm

Thanks for sharing that video PLF. It's nice to see them celebrate. I adore this show. One of my absolute all-time favorites. Hope it runs for another 7500 performances.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#559Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 4:45pm

I wish there could be a sort of documentary of sorts...of what goes getting a renowned production into a foreign stop. Now that would be fascinating. I admire their energy going from one country to another.

Updated On: 12/7/14 at 04:45 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#560Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 11:59am

Apparently, Bianca Marroquin's Broadway schedule has been adjusted, due to the newest Roxie coming on board fairly soon. She was originally scheduled to depart in March 2015, but will end her lengthy Broadway run on January 18, 2014. I guess she'll continue on as the national tour Roxie. (from Telecharge.com)
Amy Spanger as Roxie Hart (12/1 – 12/21)
Bianca Marroquin as Roxie Hart (12/22/14 – 1/18/15)
Jennifer Nettles as Roxie Hart (2/2/15 – 3/29/15)
Amra-Faye Wright as Velma Kelly (thru 1/25/15)
John O'Hurley as Billy Flynn (thru 1/18/15)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart (thru 2/1/15)
NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron "Mama" Morton (thru 3/29/15)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 5/31/15)

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#561Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 12:10pm

It'll be interesting to see if Amra-Faye extends with Jennifer Nettles, or bring in a Velma veteran. I expect they'd want to keep a Velma familiar with the role to anchor the newbie Roxie.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#562Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 2:04pm

Well, there aren't many Velma veterans who have performed in the past 3-4 years or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about Leigh Zimmerman... she was the first Velma that I saw in the show. Honestly, the show would benefit IMMENSELY by having a Velma other than AFW.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#563Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 7:14pm

^this

I would love to go back but reduce to with AFW as Velma. Said it before. Girls got talent but she sleepwalks through this role now

everythingtaboo
#564Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 7:28pm

I'd love to see Deidre Goodwin or Nikka Graff Lanzarone back in the role.(Or in an ideal world, Caroline O'Connor.) Loved them back in the day.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#565Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/11/14 at 7:36pm

I would like to see Nikka Lanzarone in the role. I missed her the first time. It's a shame that they rarely cast new Velmas.

I always say it, but the most unique Velma that I've seen is Luba Mason. She was stunning to look at and a phenomenal singer. She wasn't the best dancer, but she was very enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6dKwpRlRPw

Patti LuPone FANatic
#566Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:27pm

Hello. Does anyone have a Playbill copy of the cast /understudies list for the current "Chicago" inter(national) tour?

ghostlight2
#567Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 11:57am

PLP, I know you were looking for this: two male dancers doing Hot Honey Rag:

From Broadway Backwards Updated On: 12/15/14 at 11:57 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#568Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/15/14 at 5:59pm

I loved it. Thanks Ghost! You're a doll! from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#569Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:28am

Bianca Marroquin is scheduled to end her Broadway run on January 18, 2015. Jennifer Nettles starts on Feb. 2nd. That means there's about a 2 week gap for another Roxie. Maybe Lindsay Roginski can fill in during that time. Or, it would be a great chance for the Roxie understudies (Melissa Rae Mahon & Tonya Wathen) to take turns doing the role.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#570Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:31pm

Lindsay Roginski is doing the Wynn Broadway Spectacular (or whatever it's called) in Vegas and will be with that until late spring.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Amy Spanger. She seems to be back in the rotation of Roxies who come in to do a week or 10 days.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#571Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/20/14 at 10:26pm

"Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag" from "Fosse". Thoughts?
ChicagoInFosse

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#572Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/21/14 at 12:11am

What's there really to add throughts?
Tech is fine. All and all a good performance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60JYQ7HEf-U lacks the magic of this peformance but all in all it's fine.

everythingtaboo
#573Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/22/14 at 1:33pm

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Carly Hughes will step into the role of merry murderess Velma Kelly beginning Feb. 2, 2015. She will succeed Amra-Faye Wright, who plays her final performance Feb. 1.

Pippin Star Will Join Cast of Broadway's Chicago

Updated On: 12/22/14 at 01:33 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#574Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/7/15 at 10:24pm

Hello all. I found this fascinating documentary "The Making of Chicago" (West End). It's almost an hour long. It apparently was a Bravo documentary. Ute Lemper (Velma)and Ruthie Henshall (Roxie) are highlighted. You get to see Ann Reinking during the rehearsals.
Chicago In The West End