pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 26

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#625Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/16/15 at 1:52am

Well dear MANY haven't done the cartwheel. Many.
The no cartwheel modification isn't a big deal. It's a simple modification and unless you really know the show it's not noticeable.

Hell Charlotte who's an amazing dancer didn't do the cartwheel at times. Nancy Hess who was the Roxie/Velma standby for the longest time at times didn't do a cartwheel.

Sometimes there's a modification in "I can't do it alone" without a cartwheel at the end for certain Velma's. There are, also, some Velma's that will do a cartwheel at the end like normal and go into a split after (Bebe would do it often esp on special performances, and Terra does it often)

Sandy Duncan at times would do a cartwheel and splits in the Roxie monologue.

The core structure of the dances is always there but things will be tailored to suit the person in the role.
Marilu Henner (who was amazing as Roxie) couldn't physically do the cartwheel due to something with her ankles.

I've seem Velma's dancing in "All that Jazz" changed slightly at times, I've seen "Razzle Dazzle" changed here and there to suit different performers (Usher had a a lot more dance and a slight costume change in that number)

One of my fav times was way back. Ruthie Henshall was only doing 6 shows a week per her doctors orders. Charlotte, after her and Ruthie got raves from the NYTimes, missed constantly. A cast member who is a friend and was a swing at the time said he's never done the show in a months time with Charlotte. A random night I went Ruthie was out (which I knew about) but Charlotte was on. Charlotte never did the show with the Velma standby Nancy. Nancy had hurt her leg and was doing the no cartwheel rag. Charlotte didn't know that. Hot Hiney Rag time Charlotte started to do the cartwheel while Nancy wasn't. It was a Roxie cartwheel Velma no cartwheel at the same time. It was funny.
****im in now way bashing Charlotte for missing a lot of shows. She's one of the best Roxie's and by far her dancing "Me and My Baby" is Spectacular. She does the leaps at the end of the song. I miss the leaps at the end. I'm guessing Nettles doesn't do them.

Pedi was a good Mama. Everything you'd expect from her if you kmow all her previous work. She's also a very nice and wonderful woman.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#626Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/16/15 at 6:27am

I've noticed that David Bushman now has a credit on the Chicago National Tour program:
Recreation of Original Production Choreography by David Bushman. I did notice a dance segment that I hadn't seen before in the opening dance (prior to All That Jazz). It's a sort of an Egyptian walk where 2 or three of the male ensemble walk in a train. (I don't know if that makes sense.) It's a great idea that the show gets a few new dance bits added on, every once in a while.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#627Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/16/15 at 12:04pm

That's been in the show for a while, esp foreign productions

Patti LuPone FANatic
#628Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:17pm

Awesome Chicago casting news: Lara Seibert Young is the newest addition to the cast. She replaces long time veteran Melissa Rae Mahon. Lara has several roles: the newest Go-To-Hell-Kitty.... a Roxie Hart understudy AND a Velma Kelly understudy. She was recently involved with Big Fish and Pippin. Wow!!!! (according to Telecharge) She arrived with the show on February 16, 2015. Finally, the producers are making some awesome casting choices. Far out!

Lara Seibert Young

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 2/18/15 at 02:17 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#629Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/18/15 at 5:28pm

Lara Seibert is, I believe, the only Caucasian woman to ever play the Leading Player in Pippin on Broadway.

Here is a video of Carly Hughes doing All That Jazz with the cast (rehearsal footage)... Is Gregory Butler back in the cast?
Carly Hughes All That Jazz

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#630Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/18/15 at 6:50pm

I saw Chicago weeks ago with Amra-Faye Wright and Charlotte D'amboise. I don't have anything new to say. Charlotte was incredible and sort of the did the Gwen Verdon wobbly voice thing. Wright was ok. I think she was good enough for those who aren't familiar with Velma, but I thought she took some short cuts with her dancing. I know she had been in the show forever, so I can't really blame her if she was over it.

Updated On: 2/19/15 at 06:50 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#631Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/19/15 at 12:21am

what a breathe of fresh air Hughes is in that number. She's so good.

And no, that's not Gregory Butler, it's Alfie Parker, Jr. who just left the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#632Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/19/15 at 12:38am

This is Jennifer Nettles "Heart and Soul" Episode 4. Prior to this, I did not know much about her. She comes across as a very decent and down-to-earth person. Charming in a country sort of way.
Heart and Soul Episode 4

Patti LuPone FANatic
#633Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/21/15 at 9:22pm

For those of you who are following the national tour, Brent Barrett is taking over as Billy Flynn, beginning on March 10, 2015 until the tour's conclusion on April 12, 2015.

Brent Barrett

Updated On: 2/21/15 at 09:22 PM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#634Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/21/15 at 9:33pm

I really hope Carly gets to continue with the show or on Broadway more, she is such a good actress!!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#635Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/21/15 at 9:38pm

If not, I really want to see Leigh Zimmerman as Velma. She is awesome!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#636Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 8:29am

I found this clip of Chicago performing at the half-time show of the recent All Star Game. Lovely performance overall. (The applause at the end is anemic.)
Chicago Half Time Show

Patti LuPone FANatic
#637Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 7:32pm

D. Ratell started today as the new Mary Sunshine in the current Cellblock National Tour. I found this video of him. He seems like a nice fellow.
D. Ratell

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#638Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 7:39pm

didn't even know they were performing at the ASG. Nothing on their Facebook page or Twitter says anything.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#639Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:25pm

ASG?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#640Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:49pm

All-Star Game.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#641Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:53pm

Walked by the Ambassador today and saw that Jason Patrick Sands was on as Amos, and I had get a ticket for the evening performance. To my surprise, I received seat A6, which was a great seat.

The show was fantastic and finally back on fire! Many new faces in the ensemble, and the show is so much better for it. This was the first time in my 11 years of seeing this production that I got to see ALL new leads, aside from the great R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine. It made such a difference in my enjoyment of the show. Jennifer Nettles is a bubbly sensation, and delivers her performance like a seasoned Broadway pro. Her voice is fantastic as expected, but her acting and spirit on stage is just magnetic. Her dancing was surprisingly good, and besides the simplified Baby and no cart wheel, she was perfectly competent in the dance department.

Carly Hughes.... CARLY HUGHES. The Weisslers better consider keeping this woman around. Such a fresh and exciting performance. One of the best sung Velmas that I've ever seen, right up there with Luba Mason (who is a vocalist). Carly delivers a spunky and soulful performance, and she looks absolutely smashing. She reminds of when Brenda Braxton first started with the show. Jennifer and Carly are without a doubt the best sung Roxie and Velma that I've seen. Their voices complement each other so well, and they blend perfectly together. It is chill-inducing when Jennifer sings the optional (controversial?) harmony in My Own Best Friend.

Alexander Gemignani is a great Billy Flynn. Initially, I pictured him as Amos, but he is more than competent as Billy. Without a doubt the longest held note in GUN that I've heard from a Billy. The audience kept gasping.

Jason Patrick Sands is always a highlight in the ensemble, and is a fabulous Billy Flynn. I was so excited to see him as Amos, because it is against type for him. It's hard to turn him into a schlub, but they try to with an oversized sweater. He was mostly believable in the role, and brought a lot of heart to the character. This was one of the few times where you could actually believe that Roxie and Amos were a married couple. The Weisslers really need to start casting some younger Amos' again like they had done in the recent years. I am tired of Ray Bokhour, who is just as tired in the role as PJ Benjamin was. Amos doesn't need to be old and overweight, so hopefully they can continue to explore with more younger Amos' once Bokhour is done.

NaTasha Yvette Williams is an ideal Mama, and delivers just the right amount of riffs. She has great chemistry with Carly.

I am thrilled to say that the heat is finally back in the Broadway production of CHICAGO. The pulsing sensuality and sex appeal is finally evident again. The ensemble doesn't appear tired and bored, and the new and younger faces complement the remaining veterans wonderfully. I hope that that Weisslers can keep up with the fresh and exciting casting choices.

Updated On: 2/22/15 at 11:53 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#642Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:13am

great review!! It's about time the show seemed fresh & new. Lots of new faces in the show. Hopefully I'll catch it in a few weeks.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#643Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:23am

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Matthew Demming is filling in as "Mary Sunshine" for a vacationing Ryan Lowe.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#644Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:39am

Maybe starting tomorrow, but Lowe was definitely on tonight.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#645Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:44am

Does anyone have naughty audio of the new leads? I'd love to hear them! Sadly, I probably won't get to see Jennifer (which is a bummer because I LOVE Sugarland). UGGG the struggles of living in the midwest!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#646Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 12:59am

Side note. Matthew Deming will be in rehearsals soon for THE VISIT, in another counter-tenor role. Sounds like he's busy lately.

Another side note: I finally caught my first finale rose in 11 years! Updated On: 2/23/15 at 12:59 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#647Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 5:04am

Congrats! I have several from the Broadway show and national tours. LJay, how was the crowd (in terms of size)?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#648Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 8:50am

The house was pretty full. An usher was shocked to see the mezzanines so full. I was surrounded by foreign speaking tourists in the orchestra, but they were mostly respectful as an audience.

Another cool side note. The other man playing a Eunich with Deming in THE VISIT is Chris Newcomer, another former Mary Sunshine.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#649Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 2/23/15 at 9:09am

Yes, C. Newcomer did mention it to me at the stage door in San Antonio recently. He seemed very excited about it. I mentioned that I had already seen two legends in a Broadway show (Angela Lansbury and Patti LuPone) and that I may very well see Chita Rivera as well. What are the odds...two (former)Mary Sunshines in the same show? I'm glad that Chicago is finally getting some good vibes. I wonder who might succeed Jennifer Nettles after her run is done on March 29th?