pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 88

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2175Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/27/21 at 9:26pm

everythingtaboo said: "AFR was certainly not my favorite Velma, but saying she's the "worst" is pretty damn strong."

I've since Chicago on Bway about a dozen times. Saw AFW I believe 3 times and all three times she was horrendous. Marking, off-key, she looked bored in 2010 and yet she kept coming back up until 2019.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2176Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/27/21 at 9:57pm

ACL2006 said: "everythingtaboo said: "AFR was certainly not my favorite Velma, but saying she's the "worst" is pretty damn strong."

I've since Chicago on Bway about a dozen times. Saw AFW I believe 3 times and all three times she was horrendous. Marking, off-key, she looked bored in 2010 and yet she kept coming back up until 2019.

"

I concur, I saw her twice, once from rear orchestra, once from the front row, and both times (as I'm sure is mentioned somewhere within the 88 pages of this thread) she was lackluster. From the front row she was admittedly better, she seemed to be playing a lot of moments directly to my girlfriend and me, but she still lacked fire.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2177Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/27/21 at 10:14pm

My favorite Velmas are Terra C McLeod and Lana Gordon.  I have had the opportunity to see AFW 'quite a few times" over the years.  She is not everyone's favorite Velma, obviously.  But she is one talented lady.  To say she is the "worst Velma" is not something I would agree with.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Nolan LuPone
#2179Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/2/21 at 9:45am

Updated On: 11/2/21 at 09:45 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2180Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/4/21 at 7:53pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CHICAGO-Announces-VIVA-BROADWAY-Night-Set-For-This-Month-20211001

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2181Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/4/21 at 7:56pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CHICAGO-Announces-VIVA-BROADWAY-Night-Set-For-This-Month-20211001"

I'm very much hoping to see this performance. Hoping it may be at TKTS that day or I can get an inexpensive ticket for it; I just have other financial things to take care of this month, but it's a super important event that I'd love to be at! Crossing my fingers! I've only ever seen CHICAGO once on tour and it was when John O'Hurley was Billy. This would be the perfect way for ME, being Latinx, to see this show!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2182Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/9/21 at 12:05am

Hello.  Instead of a "Chicago" related post, this is a very personal post.  First of all, my health is fine.  However, I am facing a very personal and complex challenge at the moment.  This challenge is affecting my present...and future.  My ability to undertake further trips to NYC will be severely curtailed.  This has been an extremely difficult week for me...and more to come.  I realize that I am being very vague, but it is necessary.  I will appreciate any good thoughts and prayers during this difficult time in my life.  In case I am unable to make any further posts about my favorite show (in the present or in the future), I will  be seeking out another big fan of the show to continue with this thread if that is not possible for me.  Thank you, RC in Austin, TX.

Updated On: 10/12/21 at 12:05 AM

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2183Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/10/21 at 11:30pm

I know no one cares but…
10/10/98 was my first Ute on broadway and my first post Bebe

iluvtheatertrash
#2184Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/10/21 at 11:37pm

So sorry, Patti Fanatic… rooting for you to come through alll this. Know you are loved and appreciated and we will miss hearing from you. Please do check in when you are up to it….

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

iluvtheatertrash
#2185Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/10/21 at 11:42pm

I often bring up Brenda Braxton when AFW comes up. Both have done it far too many times, and both are very gifted. But only Brenda really BRINGS it to the theatre everyday. I’ve seen both several times, and for me it’s always remarkable how Brenda kept it so fresh.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

gibsons2
#2186Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/11/21 at 12:18am

I apologize if this has been asked multiple times before or there's a separate thread. Can someone please tell what seats are given for rush tickets on Sunday matinee and evening? Thank you in advance for your response.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2187Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/11/21 at 9:19am

Chicago has quietly added a 7th performance starting this week. They've added another performance for the following dates:

Tuesday, Oct. 12

Monday, Oct. 18

Tuesday, Oct. 26

Tuesday, Nov. 2

Tuesday, Nov. 9

Beginning the week of Nov. 15, Chicago will be back to 8 shows a week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2188Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/21/21 at 8:13pm

Jennifer Fouche posted that she'll be playing Matron Mama Morton at the Ambassador this week (if she hasn't already).  Also, Mary Claire King mentioned in her IG that she'll be Velma Kelly from this Friday -- Sunday matinee.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2189Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/22/21 at 7:53am

Jennifer Fouche made her Mama debut at the Ambassador last night.  She will perform the role thru October 24th.  

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2190Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/31/21 at 9:57pm

Angel Reda recently posted on her IG that she was finishing up her time with "Chicago".  I was sort of surprised at that.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2191Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/1/21 at 11:40am

Chicago to Celebrate 25th Anniversary on Nov. 16th

Please have Bebe do "All That Jazz"!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2192Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/1/21 at 11:42am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Angel Reda recently posted on her IG that she was finishing up her time with "Chicago". I was sort of surprised at that."

Rachel Schur is back and has replaced Angel as "Annie".

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2193Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/1/21 at 11:55am

Isn't the 25th anniversary technically on the 14th? I hope they're having an announcement on that date as well (even if it's a very small one)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2194Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/1/21 at 9:53pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadways-chicago-will-celebrate-25th-anniversary-with-special-performance?fbclid=IwAR3MjFsy-3sURFpvMOJ5h2kFqRKNuq0KS9lvHOP3NSg8ENm-H8fHXglf-J8

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2195Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/3/21 at 9:56pm

I’d love that but I doubt that’ll happen .

the 10th anniversary with the rotation of Velma’s Roxie’s and Billy’s was beyond amazing  The other special performance was great, this one I think will be lackluster 

ACL2006 said: "Chicago to Celebrate 25th Anniversary on Nov. 16th

Please have Bebe do "All That Jazz"!
"

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2196Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/4/21 at 9:46pm

from 2015:  Broadway Backwards; "Cell Block Tango"     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziA1TGNXktY

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2197Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/10/21 at 11:50am

A lovely look back at Chicago from the New York Times with recollections from past to present:

‘Chicago’ Pops the Cork on 25 Years of Razzle Dazzle: Bebe Neuwirth, Joel Grey, Chita Rivera, John Kander and others discuss the Broadway revival’s surprising early success and its lasting legacy.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2198Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/14/21 at 2:18pm

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2199Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/14/21 at 2:24pm

Congratulations to my favorite show "Chicago" for 25 years of razzle dazzle and all that jazz!  

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread