Born Yesterday Revival

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#25Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:40am

Right now she's my pick, but I don't see Good People until April 30, so I'm withholding judgement until then.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:45am

It's a tough call because McDormand is so great but I love when comedic performances are recognized with awards because it happens so rarely.

bwayfan7000
#27Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:50am

Is there any way Arianda would be bumped down to featured? I can't imagine McDormand losing, though I obviously have yet to see Born Yesterday...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#28Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:51am

It's a tough call because McDormand is so great but I love when comedic performances are recognized with awards because it happens so rarely.

I haven't seen Good People yet either, but I definitely agree that it would be wonderful to see a comedic performance recognized. Female comedic performances especially are almost never honored with awards.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#29Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:52am

Caught this last night and agree with most of what's been said. A solid production of a somewhat creaky play . . . and Arianda absolutely NAILS it. Belushi and Leonard are quite good, but it's the leading lady's show - and they both seem to know it since they give her the final bow. I still give Frances McDormand a slight edge for the Tony, but Arianda is very deserving as well. It's truly a "star-is-born" performance.

April Saul
#30Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:54am

Saw Born Yesterday tonight and second everyone's comments about Nina; hope she gets a Tony! My mom told me this morning about how wonderful Judy Holliday was back in the day when SHE saw Born Yesterday, but I bet Arianda is just as good...I'm thinking this will also be a crowd-pleaser of the summer, and quite tourist-friendly.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:55am

I really would say because of her performance this is maybe the one show in town I would recommend seeing right now.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:56am

Is there any way Arianda would be bumped down to featured?

No. It's a very large role. And she gets the final bow.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:57am

Not a chance could Arianda be featured. It's completely her show.

bwayfan7000
#34Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:57am

Wow, Jordan, if you recommend it THAT highly, I might have to get myself to the Cort this weekend...I'm still interested in Jerusalem and Vera Stark, but if Arianda is really that worth seeing, then perhaps I should.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#35Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:58am

bwayfan, Billie Dawn is definitely a leading role, so there's not really a chance they'd bump Arianda down to featured.

April, I think they'd need a seriously great marketing campaign (and good reviews) to attract a crowd. The balcony was less than half full, and it certainly doesn't help that the Cort is on the other side of 7th Avenue. But I know I'll be recommending the show to everyone.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Noel&Cole
#36Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 8:46am

Oh see when I saw this play, both at the Shaw in 2009 and on Broadway last week, I thought the play seemed extremely topical, relevant, and well crafted. It didn't seem creaky at all to me. It seemed to discuss a lot of the problems we face in this country today. And it did so in a fun laugh filled way.

Okayfine
#37Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 11:30am

theatreguyu - curtain calls are choreographed/blocked by the director. the actors have no say whatsoever in who gets which curatin call.

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#38Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 11:59am

Yes, but when stars are involved often the order of the bows will be discussed with them first - if not actually written in their contract. Belushi could've easily pulled rank and insisted on the final bow, or at least a shared bow.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#39Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 12:29pm

Noel&Cole, I agree with you. I just think the performances I mentioned needed to get better. And the show's pace could be tightened a bit.

The evening I saw it i think she and Belushi did a shared bow and then separate. Not sure if hers was last. If he gets it together in the 3rd act, he would truly deserve the final bow, in my opinion.

Just give the world Love.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#40Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 1:15pm

I feel like Ariadna is going to get killer reviews, which may be the selling point for the show. The "Star is Born!" angle.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Noel&Cole
#41Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 1:50pm

uncageg- I agree that it could use some tightening. ( I saw a first preview), However I always assume that will come with repetition and additional performances.

Nina is clearly the breakout but I also thought Belushi brought a lot of shades to that role. Yes, he did yell a lot. But that's the character. I think their is even a line about him "living at the top of this voice" or something like that but he also had tender moments when he talked about loving Billie and played those really nicely. If works on finding those moments, I think his Harry Brock can be something special, a yin to Nina's Yang.

April Saul
#42Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 4:17pm

I don't know about their marketing campaign but it seems to me this would hit a BIG home run with tourists. I predict success...

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#43Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/11/11 at 5:09pm

I'm seeing this tomorrow night and could not be more excited to see Ms. Arianda onstage!

WiCkEDrOcKS
#44Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/13/11 at 1:18am

Saw this show tonight and have two words to say: Nina. Arianda.

Holy crap, what a performance. I might post more tomorrow, but I felt like I was watching theater history happen right in front of my face tonight. I haven't seen a performance that made me feel this way in a very long time. She is a complete revelation. THIS is the stage performance of the year and if you miss it, you will be extremely sorry.

The revival itself is fine but uninspired. It only really takes off when Ms. Arianda is onstage. She single-handedly brings it to vivid, effervescent life. Wow, wow, wow, WOW. I feel guilty for missing VENUS IN FUR now. If she loses that Tony, something is seriously wrong with those voters. Sure, McDormand is great, but Arianda is in a league all her own.
Updated On: 4/13/11 at 01:18 AM

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#45Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/13/11 at 6:32am

OH MY GOD! I caught this on Sunday night. BEYOND BRILLIANT. I haven't stopped thinking of it all week either. I really can't stop thinking about it. FANTASTIC F**KING play and production. I had never seen it, or read it or anything and I am completely surprised that this play was written in 1947. It feels like it could be a brand new play. It stands the test of time beautifully. NINA ARRIANDA IS A F**KING STAR!!!!!!

The Tony belongs to her and ONLY her this year!!!!!!!!!!!

FAMAZING!!!!!

****okay no a small critique. Jim Belushi is fabulous but he needs to have more diction in the opening scene. I think he's rushing it because it does feel like the play doesn't start till Nina takes the stage... and he knows that so he's rushing, but we lose diction and important info in that opening monologue... also the guy playing the guy playing the lawyer (Frank Wood) doesn't ever match the energy of the rest of the cast. If I were a producer I'd replace him or give him a week to fix his performance. Also it seems like he's missing some of the important undertones of his character. The lawyer drops a couple of lines that suggest he's on the DL.... but it doesn't show anywhere in the performance. Those are my only critiques.

FAMAZING FAMAZING FAMAZING FAMAZING. I have been begging people all week to rush out to see this. It's THAT good!

YES.... it's THAT good. I can't wait to see it again.

pennydreadful Profile Photo
pennydreadful
#46Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/13/11 at 8:25am

Nina Arianda made this show. I was way up in the balcony, but she shone all the way up there! Just as important, I could always understand what she was saying, unlike Wood and Leonard. It'd be so easy to play Billie as a caricature, but she made her real. I hope she gets the Tony.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#47Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/13/11 at 8:41am

On another note, the theater was like 45% full last night. The orchestra had scattered empty seats in pretty much every row. They really need to get this show out there...

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#48Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/13/11 at 10:50pm

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure THE ENTIRE balcony was comped in... and it was only half full up there at that. I've been telling everyone to see this show, but I guess it's a hard sell.

jbm2
#49Born Yesterday Revival
Posted: 4/17/11 at 11:02pm

Wondering if I should see this or HIGH...I know
that they are totally different shows.I had no desire to see BORN YESTERDAY until I read this thread.