War Horse

Ed_Mottershead
#1War Horse
Posted: 4/4/11 at 10:43am

I'm sure there's been a board on War Horse, but I couldn't find it, so I'm taking the liberty of starting another one. My apologies.

I was at the Saturday matinee and thought that the staging was absolutely fantastic. They made every possible use of the Beaumont's resources and it showed brilliantly. Kudos to the guys playing the horses -- too bad Joey won't be eligible for Best Performance by an Actor come Tony nomination time. It goes to show what happens when all elements of a production get together and produce a truly breathtaking experience. Highly recommended to anyone seriously interested in production values -- or anyone, period.

Having said that, I'm not so sure that the play per se is all that groundbreaking -- I mean, it says that war is bad, war is horrible, war is devastating, war is dehumanizing, etc., etc. -- all of which have been said before (remember Journey's End or All Quiet on the Western Front?).

But there's nothing boring or trite about this production. Again, please go and spread the word -- it's a totally magnificent piece of theatre -- one of the best in my 55+ years of theatre-going.

BroadwayEd

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#2War Horse
Posted: 4/4/11 at 12:01pm

I KNEW you were going to rave on this one Ed! It's a play that I'll never forget. The staging, the artistry, the music- in fact I'm listening to its' CD right now, all merge together to create on unforgetable and exciting theatrical event. From start to finish, I was utterly spell-bound.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2War Horse
Posted: 4/4/11 at 12:16pm

I loved it. While the story may be a bit cliched and cloying, the show is all about the staging, which is magnificent. My mother could not stop crying the entire first act and all through intermission. She said she didn't know it would be so tragic. I told her it was only intermission and that maybe it has a happy ending. She blubbered, "NOT SO FAR!" We laughed and enjoyed the rest of the show. I tried to see it twice in London and couldn't get a ticket, so I was thrilled that it was not a disappointment. I'd see it again easily. If it doesn't win Best Play, I'd like to see it win for direction and technical awards, which are its strongest assets. And if the show receives any acting noms, Peter Hermann should be recognized first. He was the real standout amongst the actors for me.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Broadway Doctor Profile Photo
Broadway Doctor
#3War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 4:44pm

The Doc takes in War Horse.

War Horse
The Biggest Misconception about WAR HORSE

Trust Me, I'm a Doctor.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 4:46pm

I love love love this show and agree that the script is actually underated. Updated On: 4/6/11 at 04:46 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 4:53pm

I loved this so much, and tear up just thinking about it or looking at photos of the horses.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

After Eight
#6War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:19pm

I agree with you, Ed. Great staging and theatricality, but the play itself..... not so hot.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#7War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:28pm

Have tickets for Saturday. SO excited!

Michael Bennett
#8War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:33pm

Now see I love the script- it's episodic, yes but too me, it unfolds in flashes and spurts the way I imagine one who actually lived through months or years at war would actually remember it. And I find a lot of it actually pretty unflinching and brutal.

To those who complain its too sentimental or two convenient in it's plot devices, I say thus it is with all great legends.

To me this is everything great theatre should be - and I would take it over something like Jerusalem with it's plotless, rambling symbolism any day.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#9War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 6:53pm

Does anyone happen to know if they have pulled the promo codes? I know it is selling well but tried searches with the code nothing and then without and N & P in the Orch pop up.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

backstageonbroadway
#10War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:37pm

I have a ridiculous question - I'm seeing this show on Tuesday and am terrified of loud booms (fireworks, balloons popping and guns..) and I know in this show that the actors wear earplugs because of the rifles used on stage..I was wondering how loud they were / how often they are shot? I'm sitting all the way in the back of the loge and am scared ****less lol. thanks :)
Updated On: 4/6/11 at 08:37 PM

luvtheEmcee
#11War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:43pm

They're pretty loud but definitely not the loudest or most startling I've experienced in a play. I also found that they were pretty easy to predict. So don't be scared sh*tless. War Horse

bwayfan7000
#12War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:50pm

Has anyone even attempted the rush recently? All these raves are very much tempting me to try and see it...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

jbm2
#13War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 8:54pm

I really want to see this while I am in town..
everywhere I look says its sold out..
what is the best way of getting tickets?

Michael Bennett
#14War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:22pm

I think LCT's rush is subject to availability, and obviously there isnt any since every performance is selling out. Scattered seats do pop up on telecharge and people have had good luck doing the cancelation line.

luvtheEmcee
#15War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:25pm

Yeah, try checking Telecharge the day of. I was able to get a ticket to pop up the night before the show I wanted to go to, and it had previously been showing up as sold out.

bwayfan7000
#16War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:28pm

I'm assuming the seats on the cancellation line are only full price? Seems like there are no cheap options for seeing this show...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

luvtheEmcee
#17War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:28pm

Yep.

Ed_Mottershead
#18War Horse
Posted: 4/6/11 at 10:29pm

I also have a problem with loud gunshots on stage, but in this case, didn't feel that they are all that awful. You'll probably be dazzled by so much that's going on that you won't notice.

BroadwayEd

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#19War Horse
Posted: 4/7/11 at 10:12am

Don't worry about what it cost. The emotional journey it takes you on, is priceless !

backstageonbroadway
#20War Horse
Posted: 4/7/11 at 3:41pm

regarding the gun shot responses - thanks! =)
I recently saw Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo and found myself covering my ears during most of the end of the second act. Those freaked me out, so hopefully war horse's won't be as bad. thanks again :)

Ed_Mottershead
#21War Horse
Posted: 4/7/11 at 3:57pm

Thanks for alerting me about the gunfire in Bengal Tiger -- I have a ticket for this Saturday's matinee. BTW, what is Bengal's running time?

BroadwayEd

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#22War Horse
Posted: 4/7/11 at 10:11pm

Bengal runs about 2 hours, 15 minutes.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 4/7/11 at 10:11 PM

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#23War Horse
Posted: 4/9/11 at 11:12pm

Just got home from this incredible show. I have to say, its probably one of the top 5 theatre experiences I have ever had in my life. I am amazed that something can be so tragic and so beautiful at the same time. There were a few scenes that literally took my breath away....the first big war scene on the cavalry, the scene between the Brits and German in No Man's Land. They were literally able to recreate WWI on stage, and not make it the least bit hokey.

I have honestly never experienced a show like this. The way that the music was interwoven, almost like a soundtrack. And the lighting design....the entire staging was just incredible. I'm running out of adjectives and I'm completely gushing, but I can't remember feeling this excited about a show. It is a relatively simple story, but this just goes to show what can be done with simplicity. They were able to take a story that was essentially about a boy and his pet, interweave it with history to make something so beautiful.

I am also in awe that no only did the 3 men who "played" Topthorn and Joey get a standing ovation, but when the actual puppets came out people LEPT to their feet for Joey. I completely forgot I was watching a puppet on stage.

I know I'm totally rambling, and probably not making any sense, but what a completely fulfilling day at the theatre. I don't see how this CAN'T win best play. (But I see Jerusalem on the 20th, so I guess I'll compare notes then...)

rizzuto Profile Photo
rizzuto
#24War Horse
Posted: 4/11/11 at 9:06am

War Horse is terrific theater -- make no mistake about that. But to my mind, it fell short of what it might have been, because it tried to do too much.

The best and most memorable aspect of the show is how Joey (and to a much lesser extent Topthorn) are brought to life. It's innovative, smart, and never becomes ludicrous. When I look back on War Horse five or ten years from now, it's the realization of the horses that I'll recall most vividly and most fondly.

Then there are the themes: Courage, or the absence of it. Man bonding with animals. The scourge of war. Is that maybe one too many themes?

And then there are the characters through whom the themes are developed. Lots and lots of characters. Two brothers, plus a son for each brother, a wife, two horses, two German officers, a few British officers, a woman in France and her daughter, and probably others I've left out. The result is that too many of these characters are one-dimensional caricatures: the drunken and cowardly father, his mean and avaricious brother, etc. I'd have preferred more depth and fewer characters and side stories.

Videos