pixeltracker

Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?

Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 1:24am

So many oddities here...

-Why is Desiree in bed with Fredrik during this song?
-Why does she pour a drink, then raise her glass? What is she toasting?
-Why doesn't Fredrik leave?
-Why cut the dialogue?
-Why, at the end, does she strip off and climb back in to bed with him?

This is why community theaters shouldn't be allowed near shows like this. Did the director not understand what the show, and this scene, were about?
Odd Send in the Clowns.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#2Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 1:29am

What in Liza Minnelli's Gay Hell was that?

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#2Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 1:38am

Did anyone else notice the fact Desiree looks...how shall I say it...a drag queen that just woke up from a bad night out?

Her voice is pretty operatic too which is wrong for this song. And of course, the direction is 100% off. Maybe the director was aiming for a "dream" kinda thing where she imagines climbing into bed with him but if that was the intent that was a BS way of showing it...and cutting the lines? Really?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 1:42am

I can only imagine the dialogue was cut because it didn't fit into this director's "vision," wherein Desiree and Fredrik do not leave each other.
Updated On: 4/17/11 at 01:42 AM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#4Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 3:22am

This is insulting to the viewer.
And the Desiree looks like a drag queen. In a bad way.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#5Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 3:39am

I will get that time back and yes, very drag in the looks

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 9:10am

Here's an antidote.

The live performance of "Liaisons" performed by Hermione Gingold, which was cut from the commercially released recording of the March 11, 1973, benefit concert Sondheim: A Musical Tribute ("The Scrabble Album").

http://youtu.be/eyY6GYbKH-U

No one has ever done the song as well.

MissAnneThrop Profile Photo
MissAnneThrop
#8Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 9:56am

Desiree sang the song as if it was Chopin's funeral march. Couldn't they have gotten a wig for Madame that didn't look like a thing of jiffy pop landed on her head?

And I Am Always So Vitriolic
Updated On: 4/17/11 at 09:56 AM

Jamesilsley
#9Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/17/11 at 11:05pm

Well the good(?) news... If you look at the YouTube "More From This User" on this video, it appears there are many videos uploaded the same day, with the same "set" featuring songs from Candide, Phantom, A Little Night Music, etc. . In the (also awful) Into The Woods video, you can see the audience and they are at tables eating. So I would assume this is a homemade revue and not actually a production of Night Music. Not that it makes it any less wrong Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?

Updated On: 4/17/11 at 11:05 PM

2blocksfrombway Profile Photo
2blocksfrombway
#10Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:01am

If you think that's bad, take a peek at "A Weekend In The Country." Wow!! One delectable surprise after another. And don't give up before Henrik's entrance. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZdwrDLS0o&feature=related
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 12:01 AM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#11Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 12:12am

OMG add the people in the "Send in the Clowns" video to the Audience Behavior thread.

- We GET it. It's Kimberly!! STFU!!

- I love how after the last very loud whispered "KIMBERLY!!" someone goes "Shhhhh!!"

- The crying kid

- I would have grabbed that loud camera and shoved it somewhere...

- The cell phone that goes off at 3:39 with the techno ringtone.

Yoy! Community theatre at its finest!

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 12:12 AM

Gothampc
#12Strangest 'Send in the Clowns' ever?
Posted: 4/18/11 at 9:55am

"Why is Desiree in bed with Fredrik during this song?"

It's not Fredrik, it's the Miller's Son. You know community theater, if there aren't parts for everyone then the show can't be done. So this production includes the Miller's Son, the business man, the Prince of Wales and the Baron De Signac.

Desiree in bed with the Miller's Son just points out the sadness that Petra has to marry Desiree's castoffs.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 4/18/11 at 09:55 AM

Videos