pixeltracker

ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/23/11 at 3:29pm

Looks like the research department of the upcoming new series this fall on ABC titled PAN AM (about a series of Pan Am stewardesses in 1963) needs to be informed about IBDB.com

CAMELOT played its entire run at the Majestic Theatre. It NEVER played the Cort Theatre. Also, PAN AM takes place in 1963. CAMELOT closed on Broadway in January 1963 so this new series must take place in early January 1963 before CAMELOT closed.

Gothampc
#2ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/23/11 at 4:53pm

Assuming Pan Am takes place in 1963, hadn't Richard Burton and Julie Andrews already left the show by then?

Cleopatra was released in 1963 so Burton was already filming in 1962.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BrodyFosse123
#2ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/23/11 at 5:03pm

Forgot that bit as well. The marquee lists both Burton and Andrews who were no longer in the show by the time it closed in January 1963.

Gothampc
#3ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/23/11 at 5:06pm

^^^ And it's not like Cleopatra was some small movie that would be missed. It was a huge blockbuster of a movie. Even people who aren't entertainment savvy can figure that Burton wouldn't be doing Broadway and filming Cleopatra at the same time.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

spike3
#4ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 7:33pm

and to be really picky, I believe that in 1963, there was still a theatre next to the Cort, not a parking lot.But I could be wrong,and forgive if I am

#5ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 8:34pm

To be fair, it seems obvious they're not going as hardcore authentic as Mad Men (didn't Mad Men get a Broadway show's timeline ever so slightly wrong? I know when Joan was reviewing As The World Turns scripts they had her talking about plot points that were almost five years off, although that's more obscure and maybe more excusable seeing as how few 60s soap opera episodes were saved). Camelot is iconic and is a show that can be sorta used as shorthand to rely a time and era--I suspect that's why it was chosen.

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#6ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 10:59pm

Didn't your mother tell you "Don't believe everything you see on TV, dear"

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:26pm

The show is just adding some interesting flourishes-the majority of viewers dont know and dont care when Julie fricking Andrew left the show or when it closed. They are actually interested in the characters and story arch.

Some of you need to relax-it's a wonder you can enjoy anything.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:28pm

Well I find it interesting that the research department didn't do their job on this one and understand people bringing attention to it. We're theater nerds looking at that pic but I can guarantee you that in that same picture if there was a 1965 Chevrolet parked out front, Chevrolet/Car nerds would be saying the same thing we are.

thismyshow
#9ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/29/11 at 11:42pm

its a 3 second shot in the pilot, relax. more then likely they will probably change it before the actual pilot airs in the fall.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 12:09am

The research department isn't interested in what nerds catch.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#11ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:00am

Further dumbing down of our culture. It's evident in that photo and in many of the responses here. The research probably has little to do with it. This shot is probably to serve as connecting the era with Kennedy and Camelot.

With Irma you gotta do something!

Jordan Catalano
#12ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:21am

Even so, if they wanted to show CAMELOT playing they should have photoshopped it onto the Majestic marquee. It's not the end of the world it's just an error that a simple google search would have remedied.

Jon
#13ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 11:57am

Hell - on the last episode of GLEE, Matthew Morrison took a taxi from the Intercontinental Hotel to the Belasco Theatre - which is TWO BLOCKS AWAY!

AEA AGMA SM
#14ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:41pm

Just out of curiosity, with the GLEE thing. Was the hotel actually identified as the Intercontinental in the show, or was it left unnamed and we only know it was the Intercontinental because fans recognized it?

Jordan Catalano
#15ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:44pm

They showed it was the Intercontinental. I'm guessing since the hotel is new and has some of those $15000 a night rooms they wanted to get as much publicity for it as possible.

SporkGoddess
#16ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 1:52pm

Glee is pretty much as low as the bar gets for inaccuracy and lack of research, IMO.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#17ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:00pm

Also, folks, many have to remember that it is very possible that they may not have gotten permission to use or even photoshop any image into the MAJESTIC Marquee.

I have a friend who works on this type of detail graphics for movies, etc and its amazing to know what it takes to just putting together even a three second clip. He has to get permission (to some extent) to use all of this material. Maybe the producers of PAN AM wanted to use the MAJESTIC and was charging them, or maybe the MAJESTIC did not want to let folks know that Julie Andrews and the show were still playing there (it would look bad for LORD WEBBER)...who knows, but just dont automatically assume they are not doing their work; they may not be, but many of us now jump so hard on what is "RIGHT" and what is "WRONG" and we don't even know the full story.

Also, PAN AM is getting the feel of the 60's, not a documentary of it--and even then, you still have to get permission to be using any of that material too...it's called coyright and many average folks don't know that. Almost everything is pretty much copyrighted these days and its a matter of money and permission. It's quite possible that the graphics team was only able to use the CORT theater instead and just said, "Ok, We'll take it".

For me it's just nice to see Theaters recgonized.

As for the INTERCONENTIAL HOTEL, yeah, I am sure they paid the producers of GLEE to have their name be shown on the show. My friend works for that hotel and says its beuatiful and they want all the publicity they can get.

Updated On: 5/30/11 at 02:00 PM

BrodyFosse123
#18ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:10pm

Also, folks, many have to remember that it is very possible that they may not have gotten permission to use or even photoshop any image into the MARQUIS Marquee.

Another perfect example of NO research: CAMELOT played its entire run at the MAJESTIC Theatre NOT the Marquis Theatre, which opened in 1986.

Oy!

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#19ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:11pm

Where does it say Marquis?

BrodyFosse123
#20ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:16pm

Quick thinking, genius. You edited your posting. My cut and paste of your original opening sentence says its all -- the way you ORIGINALLY posted it.

Nimrod. Woof-meow! ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!

jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#21ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:19pm

You are right...I was writing this from my phone and my autocorrect put Marquis. I saw it and changed it. It's all good!

And even if your cut-and-paste of my orginal says it all, there is no way to even know that you put the error there yourself?

BrodyFosse123
jovie27 Profile Photo
jovie27
#23ABC TV's new series PAN AM -- little whoopsie!
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:30pm

That's a nice pic Brody! Where's Aaron Tveit????

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24ABC TV's new series PAN AM
Posted: 5/30/11 at 2:47pm

This is a show I'm looking forward to.

If they can show what flying used to be like, then I will watch it.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2