2011 Tony Award Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4002011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/13/11 at 8:10pm

"Be open minded ... ."

I think that's exactly what you need to do, LindaTNo1.

And if you can't tell the difference between Sean Hayes last year and Neil Patrick Harris this year and choose to lump them together as "current hosts," it's my opinion you're not looking very closely at the newer telecasts.

Yes, I think Harris is as good as the hosts of old. And nobody loves nostalgia more than I do. I just don't stop there or close the gate, however.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 08:10 PM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#4012011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/13/11 at 8:15pm

The notion of anyone telling Besty to "expand his history" with regard to just about any aspect of the entertainment industries betrays an ignorance of his posts on this site. Updated On: 6/13/11 at 08:15 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#4022011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/13/11 at 9:00pm

I loved that we got some decent production numbers from shows in comparison of the terribly truncated ones from recent years. I'm sorry that certain awards had to be given during the breaks or pre-show, which is a shame. I was definitely a satisfied viewer this year. I also liked that Anything Goes added their swings to their number.

Regarding the red carpet - I have never seen a bunch of ill-prepared hosts in my life!! Do some research. Have some questions in mind. It just seemed thrown together and awkward.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 6/13/11 at 09:00 PM

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#4032011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/13/11 at 10:29pm

My favorite part: Trey Parker's shiny shirt. I'm starting to think he's gay.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#4042011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 1:53am

How were the show's ratings this year? Any improvement or will they eventually move it to cable?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#4052011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 2:21am

Ratings were down overall, but up in the 18-49 demographic.

They won't go to cable any time soon. Nobody expects it to be #1, and the people who do watch are a desirable demographic for advertisers. Updated On: 6/14/11 at 02:21 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Chad Eberle
#4072011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 1:13pm

I thought Barbra was an EGOT?

LindaTNo1
#4082011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 2:16pm

Reginald Tresilian

As one from the "babyboomer" generation, I have my history down pat, thank you very much. Never "betraying" anyone on this site at all. I do give respect to all of differing viewpoints, however.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#4092011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 3:26pm

When NPH was in the mezzanine area with the boa wearing people that were fawning over him, he let out a "why are you touching me". Was that an off the cuff, serious remark or was he just playing?

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#4102011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 3:50pm

LindaTNo1, I don't recall saying anything about your grasp of history or that you'd "betrayed" anyone.

I did say that anyone who reads his posts should know that Best12Bars has a great deal of knowledge of the history of the various entertainment fields. You actually suggested that because he didn't share your opinion that he didn't know his stuff.

I disagreed with that and still do.

Updated On: 6/14/11 at 03:50 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4112011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 5:00pm

LindaTrippNo1--how ridiculous to say "He's no Bob Hope or Johnny Carson" and THEN tell Besty to "Be open-minded..."

I'm old enough to remember broadcasts hosted by Hope and Carson, and I can tell you, with complete assurance, that they would LOVE the way Neil Patrick Harris performed his hosting duties.

I have been seeing fairly universal delight in the boomers that Neil PH actually seems to be the best thing that's happened to award-show hosts since Billy Crystal.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#4122011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 9:37pm

I thought he was a better host than Hugh Jackman - and I'm Australian.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4132011 Tony Award Thread
Posted: 6/14/11 at 11:17pm

I am just watching the show. Had to tape it. "Scottsboro Boys" just went off and, in my opinion, that one number beat out all of "Book of Mormon". Noticed that it was announced they are going on tour. I will see it.

Just give the world Love.

Videos