Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#1ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 1:33am

Saturday 25th June 2011

He certainly intends to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
By Lizzie Catt with Lisa Higgins and Jack Teague

LET’s hope he is better received on the other side of the pond.
After the news that Love Never Dies in the West End will be closing this August,Andrew Lloyd Webber says he’s taking his most recent musicals over to Broadway. ??“I’m going to bring Wizard Of Oz and Love Never Dies here,” Lord Lloyd-Webber, 63, tells Day & Night in New York. ??“If they’re good, the audience likes them, if they aren’t good, they don’t. It’s the same all over the world.”

UK EXPRESS

vcaniglia591
#2ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 1:51am

I'm interested to see how New York would react to "Love Never Dies." Hopefully they'll like it!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 2:06am

And he has Evita coming to Broadway next year too. If he's smart he won't transfer Love Never Dies. Even though I like the show, I don't see this being successful here since it didn't do too well in the West End.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 2:07am

^ I'm more interested in seeing how American audiences will respond to his horrendous adaptation of The Wizard of Oz.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#4ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 2:12am

Me too!!! That opening number "Nobody Understands Me" brings a whole new meaning to the word awful.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

hairspraydude1962
#5ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 2:45am

"Nobody Understands Me" literally sounds like a twelve year old wrote it.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#6ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 5:13am

Out of interest, how many of the people on this baord have seen WOO in London?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

RH1234
#7ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 5:36am

I've seen The Wizard of Oz, and though I didn't really like it, that opening number does sound slightly better on stage than it does on the recording. This production has an almost panto feel, and I think that would definitely have to change if it came to Broadway.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#8ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 7:50am

I saw The Wizard of Oz and enjoyed it.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#9ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 1:57pm

Isn't he bringing the Australian version of Love Never Dies? It would appear the Aussie version is getting far better reviews than the London show. Hopefully, it will be received well.

*EDIT*
I read the version of JCS that he wants to bring will suggest a love triangle between Jesus, Mary and Judas. (rolls eyes)
Updated On: 6/25/11 at 01:57 PM

CATSNYrevival
#10ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 4:39pm

^ Didn't the last revival of Superstar also do that? Judas and Jesus practically macked on each other like school girls.

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#11ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 5:04pm

As I wrote in the other thread, I saw Oz in London and I really liked it.

Love Never Dies sounds interesting. I've read wildly mixed things about it, and I never really wanted to see it because I didn't think Phantom needed a sequel (I'm not really crazy about Phantom to begin with), but the Melbourne production is getting great reviews and I think that's the version ALW wants to bring over. It will be interesting to see how well it does on Broadway.

OhTossums2 Profile Photo
OhTossums2
#12ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 7:52pm

I'm very interested to see how American audiences react to WoO.
I'm sure that the majority of people who buy tickets to that show will be expecting the classic Judy Garland version.

Jealous? I ain't jealous. I can take on these fellas whateva.

beautywickedlover
#13ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:06pm

Audiences who went to see "Mary Poppins" did not see a direct adaptation of the film. However, they loved what they saw. It's still running to this day. Maybe the same thing will happen with "The Wizard of Oz."

I think if "Spiderman" closes early than maybe "Wizard of Oz can take the Foxwoods Theatre. There's already actors flying in the theatre so it wouldn't be a problem to have the actors who play the flying monkeys do the same things there.

CATSNYrevival
#14ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:25pm

^ Mary Poppins is slightly different. First off, P.L. Travers was not at all happy with the Disney film so she would never have granted the stage rights to Cameron Mackintosh if significant changes weren't made. Second, the original song writers are still alive and gave their blessing for the inclusion of the new songs, and third there wasn't already a perfectly suitable, and far more faithful, stage adaptation that had been working just fine for many years.
Updated On: 6/25/11 at 08:25 PM

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#15ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:29pm

Mary Poppins isn't as classic as Wizard of Oz ether. A lot of people haven't seen it. But tourists will most likely see it as long as it gets at least okay reviews.

jawjuhh
#16ALW bringing two shows to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/11 at 8:37pm

I'm quite interested in watching LND. I've fallen in love with some of the songs and would love to watch them on stage.

Videos