pixeltracker

What is the best show you have ever seen?- Page 3

What is the best show you have ever seen?

light_in_the_dark2
#50What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 1:14am

Next to normal with Mazzie was my first and favorite musical I've ever been to. A fantastic, moving production that was just incredible.

I just saw my first play (the normal heart) and it was fantastic. It will be hard to beat. The message of the show and incredible actors made it one of my favorite broadway shows ever

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 1:26am

qobin, I would have killed to see "August: Osage County" before it hit Broadway.

Just give the world Love.

Gaveston2
#52What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 3:38am

I assume the question refers to a single performance in production and not just what is the best show on paper?

The best show I ever saw was "March of the Falsettos" at the Westside Theater with the original cast except Brent Barrett had replaced Stephen Bogardus as Whizzer. The act was still good when it became Act I of "Falsettos," but when they performed the hour by itself, the cast attacked the material like they all expected it was the last show they would ever do. Totally fierce.

That being said, the most thrilling experience I ever had in a theater was the original production of "Follies," a few weeks after it opened. I was a teenager with no background in avant-garde theater and that show nearly made my head explode! I had never dreamed a musical could accomplish all that.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#53What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 4:35am

This post is in response to thoughts expressed about MY FAIR LADY from charlesjguiteau and JohnBoy2, the latter having seen the original London production with Julie Andrews, but without Rex Harrison.

I was privileged to see the entire Broadway original cast of MY FAIR LADY at the beautiful Mark Hellinger at a Saturday matinee when I was about 15. I especially remember Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway. While JohnBoy2 remembers Andrews owning the stage whenever she was on, I remember Rex Harrison being equally impressive. He was just perfect as Professor Higgins. I also remember the unbelievably beautiful sets by Oliver Smith and the many gorgeous costumes by England's Cecil Beaton. The scene at Ascot may have been my favorite. MY FAIR LADY is really a perfect musical and I would have selected it as the best show I have ever seen if I were not such a GYPSY fanatic.The thrills which GYPSY affords me cause it to be number one for me.

A word about the recordings of the show: I feel that the mono Broadway version is superior to the stereo London recording. This is manifested in two spots. John Michael King singing the beautiful "On the Street Where You Live" is considerably better than whoever sings it on the London recording. The other spot is at the conclusion of the show when Rex Harrison sings/ speaks," Marry Freddie--Hah!!!" with enormous gusto. On the London recording he merely speaks the words.

Incidentlally, I thought that the 1980(?) revival at the St.James with Christene Andreas as Eliza and Ian Mckellan(sp?) as Higgins and with the always wonderful George Rose as Alfred Doolittle, to be terrific.

A

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 7/20/11 at 04:35 AM

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#54What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 4:36am

This post is in response to thoughts expressed about MY FAIR LADY from charlesjguiteau and JohnBoy2, the latter having seen the original London production with Julie Andrews, but without Rex Harrison.

I was priviledged to see the entire Broadway original cast of MY FAIR LADY at the beautiful Mark Hellinger at a Saturday matinee when I was about 15. I especially remember Julie Andrews, Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway. While JohnBoy2 remembers Andrews owning the stage whenever she was on, I remember Rex Harrison being equally impressive. He was just perfect as Professor Higgins. I also remember the unbelievably beautiful sets by Oliver Smith and the many gorgeous costumes by England's Cecil Beaton. The scene at Ascot may have been my favorite. MY FAIR LADY is really a perfect musical and I would have selected it as the best show I have ever seen if I were not such a GYPSY fanatic.The thrills which GYPSY affords me cause it to be number one for me.

A word about the recordings of the show: I feel that the mono Broadway version is superior to the stereo London recording. This is manifested in two spots. John Michael King singing the beautiful "On the Street Where You Live" is considerably better than whoever sings it on the London recording. The other spot is at the conclusion of the show when Rex Harrison sings/ speaks," Marry Freddie--Hah!!!" with enormous gusto. On the London recording he merely speaks the words.

Incidentlally, I thought that the 1980(?) revival at the St.James with Christene Andreas as Eliza and Ian Mckellan(sp?) as Higgins and with the always wonderful George Rose as Alfred Doolittle, to be terrific.

A

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 7/20/11 at 04:36 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#55What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 10:28am

uncageg, I should have been more clear :p. While it was the steppenwolf cast and production, it was post-Broadway in Australia. As opposed to the e.g. new Melbourne production of Osage County, which I didn't see.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#56What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/20/11 at 11:27am

Musical: Les Miserables

Play: An Inspector Calls

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#57What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 12:54am

Not to highjack this thread, but huge thanks to Johnboy and Gypsy for sharing their memories of My Fair Lady in all it's mythic glory. Back in 1971, I found a this magic little paperback in the library at the American Embassy in Tel Aviv (long story), of the book and lyrics of MFL, along with about 20 black and white photos of the fullstage pictures of nearly every scene. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. I always wished a truly definitive book on the original production would be compiled one day. (And Keith Garebian's book doesn't come close.)

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#58What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 2:30am

I get asked this all the time and I honestly can't pick just one. I couldn't even narrow it down to five. I just love so many. But there are also plenty that I don't love.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#59What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 11:52am

Tie:

SWEENEY TODD with OBC
SUNDAY IN THE PARK with OBC

NDR
#60What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 11:55am

Play: The Normal Heart (recent revival)
Runner-Up: The Cherry Orchard (RSC London '97)

Musical: Miss Saigon (Toronto)
Runner-Up: Next to Normal (OBC)

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#61What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 11:56am

Every time I get asked this I say the same thing: the Ragtime revival.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#64What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 1:25pm

What is the best show you have ever seen?

Pleshette and Duke

iluvtheatertrash
#65What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/21/11 at 1:29pm

CAROLINE, OR CHANGE on Broadway. Saw it on a Saturday night for the first time. Went back the next day for the matinee and saw it again.

THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, JERUSALEM and the recent COMPANY revival are all close contenders.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

beautywickedlover
#66What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/23/11 at 2:08pm

The original national tours of "Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King," "Wicked," "Mary Poppins," and "Jersey Boys" were all amazing.

Lottery Addict
#67What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/23/11 at 3:18pm

The Drowsy Chaperone with the original cast, especially Bob Martin as Man in Chair and Beth Leavel as the chaperone. It was the first lottery I ever won, and I sat in the front row loving every minute.
Updated On: 7/23/11 at 03:18 PM

raker
#68What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/23/11 at 9:38pm

The Book of Mormon, today at 2. A knockout.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#69What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 1:21am

raker, I heard there were some understudies on today in BoM. Could you give more info? thanks

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#70What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 7:41am

Musical : Follies at the State Thestre Melbourne ( one night only event ) Directed by Tony Sheldon with a cast that was a who's who of Australian theatre. The night was perfect.

Play: Angels in America on Broadway

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

raker
#71What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 9:09am

There were no understudies in BoM on Saturday at 2. What talented actors they all are. Understudies always do a nice job, but it would be a shame to have to miss anyone in this fabulous cast

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#72What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 7:02pm

A Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival production of 'Nicholas Nickleby' in Cleveland, Ohio, 1982. Saw the whole thing in one day and the effect is sort of hard to describe - maybe 'immersive'? An eight-hour show sounds like it would be a tough slog but when you're so wrapped up in the story, it just flies by.

It's a shame few theaters stage the show anymore, probably because it's so long and you need a lot of actors. Even when they do put it on, it's the truncated six-hour version, not the full eight-hour version. It's just not the same.

The poster who saw the original 1981 production with Roger Rees is so lucky!! That must have been incredible.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#73What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 7:38pm

raker, I heard Nick Spangler was on for both shows, no? At least as an Elder.

Q
#74What is the best show you have ever seen?
Posted: 7/24/11 at 7:55pm

JohnBoy - I meant to ask you basically the same question as before, but about MIRACLE WORKER. Did you only see Pleshette, or did you also see Bancroft and preferred Suzanne?