pixeltracker

Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages

Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages

thismyshow
iluvtheatertrash
#2Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 11:59am

It's a SHADOW cast. Same thing that Chelsea Clearview Cinemas has done for decades. It's a shame that they'll lose their crowd to New Worlds.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 12:07pm

The OP never claimed it to be anything. He even used PICTURE show in his subject, which implies the film.

That being said, as much as I enjoyed it when I was young, I somehow think I've outgrown the basic hubbuh of seeing the film in this way. (I wouldn't mind another stage production!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

thismyshow
#3Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 12:15pm

@IluvtheaterTrash yep im aware they have been doing it at clearview for years and are not going to be pleased, the news here is a known off broadway theater is producing this.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#4Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 12:28pm

I had to look it up: from Urban Dictionary

1. shadow cast
A group of people that performs a movie in front of a screen while that movie is playing; they essentially pantomime the movie. Most often seen during showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
My town's shadow cast might not be so good, but the audience loves us anyway!

2. shadow cast
A shadow cast is when there is screening of a movie and people will shadow the movie in costume. Most known for the Rocky Horror Picture Show having thousands of shadow casts in America. All of the time they will be held at night or in the morning so the theater won't lose any money showing it. Also the group performing needs to rent the movie from the company that realized the film. Most of the time the shadow cast is of cult films.

from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

iluvtheatertrash
#5Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 12:33pm

Sorry -- didn't mean to offend. Three people texted me this morning saying RH is coming back. And I had to explain to them all the difference.

I feel bad for Chelsea Clearview. If they're smart, they'll move to Fridays.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#6Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 1:21pm

If I'm seeing a shadow cast, let's make it for a film worth the effort. BEN HUR, maybe. Or KING OF KINGS. I'd love to see me a good shadow cast cruifixion.

http://docandraider.com

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 1:44pm

According to the breakdown they aren't getting paid? That sucks.

thismyshow
#8Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 2:01pm

no shadow cast get paid, you are part of a shadow cast because you love the movie not to make money.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#9Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 2:14pm

Now in its 20th year at the Prince Charles cinema in London's West End.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/18/11 at 2:34pm

This is at the new world bar area? Are they showing the film on a 23 inch tv?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 12:26am

It will be in the lower lobby where the theaters are. The Orchestra level.

Just give the world Love.

Jordan Catalano
#12Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 12:30am

In a theater?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 1:07am

No, the big area on the lower level that serves as the lobby for 3 of the theaters.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 1:10am

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of room there. I think that's what Jordan is pointing out.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 1:21am

And I was saying that it isn't going to be in the bar area (The Time Out Lounge). It is supposed to be downstairs where there is lots more room and I suspect a large screen will be put up. The downstairs area can fit a few hundred.

#16Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 1:51am

I dunno, part of the fun of this kind of thing for me, is going to an old, preferably slightly run down cinema, etc. It just seems, call me cynical, a bit of an easy cash grab for them.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#17Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 7:16am

I suppose these days, folks will look for any easy cash grab they can. Nothin' cynical about that, just sad reality.

http://docandraider.com

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#18Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 11:13am

This makes no sense. I have a friend who used to be in the cast at Chelsea and she said audiences week to week were small when it wasn't Halloween or Spring Break or such.

Why would anyone try to split such a small market? They'd be better off doing things that would appeal to the theatre community there aren't already done like Hedwig or the Buffy musical episode.

Jordan Catalano
#19Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/19/11 at 11:14am

I believe the Buffy musical episode can't legally be shown. There was a whole "to-do" over that a couple of years ago.

divacb
#20Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/22/11 at 2:42pm

Ok, so i will say i am highly looking forward to this! This production has one thing well two things over Chelsea's, in the area(if you go to New World on the orchestra lobby the bring screen is where it will be) is they have TWO bars, two fully stalked, and great bartenders. AND they have more space. I know personally, as most of you keep saying easy money, its not, to do the movie is expensive, you have to give 40% of your profit over for royalties. I know for a FACT that this will be the talk of RHPS. Hold me to it!

Jordan Catalano
#21Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/22/11 at 3:06pm

Well, I DO like a fully stalked bar.

Bal
#22Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/23/11 at 10:51pm

Hi, divacb.

First of all, I wasn't aware one had to be drunk to have a good time. My mistake. However, I see nothing wrong with going to the bar across the street from the Clearview, pre-drinking, and then enjoying a slushie during RHPS at midnight.

On to the final part of your post: your production IS the talk of the RHPS community, and I'm afraid the talk (what I've heard) is overwhelmingly negative. Rocky Horror is about an inclusive community where everybody gets to go and enjoy themselves regardless of race, colour, creed or amount of glitter. To try and take people AWAY from a cast that will be performing twenty blocks or so from yours (NYCRHPS performs on Fridays and Saturdays) is mean-spirited.

If you want people to react to your new cast favourably, I suggest refraining from comparing yours to the original/other New York cast, and instead try to be inclusive of them. I'm not a member of that cast, but surely you must know what a closely-knit and protective-of-each-other community Rocky Horror is.

Best of luck to you, and I hope you can find a way to be successful and inclusive and friendly at the same time, in the true spirit of the cult following the movie has garnered.

"Well, obviously Company is about the Kennedy family. Bobby is played by Raul, and JFK is played by Harvey Fierstein." -vfd88

Jordan Catalano
#23Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 7/23/11 at 11:07pm

I saw the movie in Chelsea a few months ago after about a year and a half hiatus. I've seen the film hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times but stopped going because I felt the crowd was no longer there for the love of the film but to just be rowdy and scream and yell and have a place to "be weird", if that makes sense. Plus the crowd just kept getting younger and younger and all the twenty, thirty, fourty+ somethings seemed to disappear, leaving a mass of horny 15-17 year olds who (and I'm not kidding here) liked to go and just have sex on the theater floor. Not that I'm saying that's never happened before but they could care less about what was on the screen and it seemed the cast (what there was of a "cast") wasn't all that interested, either.

Hopefully this new location will bring back a few people who, like me, love this film and what it represents but had to stop going at midnight because it just got too far from what it should be.

If any of that makes sense.

tking001
#24Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming to New World Stages
Posted: 8/19/11 at 4:50pm

I just called New World Stages to find out info about getting tickets for Rocky and he said they're not going to be doing it at all, because they couldn't get the rights to the movie.