Kennedy Center Honors 2011

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#1Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 2:13am

Anyone go? Wonder who will do the tribute to Barbara Cook? I don't recall seeing any partial performer list announced yet.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#2Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 2:41am

I've seen Audra McDonald, Sutton Foster, Patti LuPone and Glenn Close listed in a few articles as having performed. I know Laura Osnes and Kelli O'Hara were also both there, and I imagine they were part of the tribute to Cook.

Only USA Today mentioned songs (that I saw), and LuPone sang Loving You and Come Rain or Come Shine while Close (naturally) sang Losing My Mind. Because when I think of Barbara Cook, I think of Glenn Close singing Losing My Mind.
USA Today Article

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

f13overture Profile Photo
f13overture
#2Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 3:11am

Tribute led by Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick
Performers include:
Glenn Close
Patti LuPone
Audra McDonald
Laura Osnes
Sutton Foster
Kelli O'Hara
and the revival Marian the Librarian herself, Rebecca Luker!

YES!!!!
variety.com article

f13overture
#3Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 3:11am

double post, my bad.

p.s. I am sooo stoked!
variety.com article Updated On: 12/5/11 at 03:11 AM

Musical Director 109
#4Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 6:12am

I can not wait to see the tribute for Barbara Cook. She truly is a national treasure.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#5Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 1:22pm

Do we know what happened in the Streep one?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

SondheimFan5
#6Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 5:10pm

Wonder what all the other numbers are??? Looks like a great lineup of leading ladies. Especially curious about Foster.

givesmevoice
#7Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 5:15pm

Per Playbill:

"[Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick] introduced a musical medley of songs associated with Cook, including 'This is All Very New to Me,' performed by Laura Osnes; 'Glitter & Be Gay,' performed by opera singer Anna Christy; 'Will I Ever Tell You' and 'Will He Like Me,' performed by Kelli O'Hara and Rebecca Luker; 'Losing My Mind,' performed by Glenn Close; 'Everybody Says Don't,'performed by Sutton Foster; a medley of 'Loving You' and 'Come Rain or Come Shine,' performed by Patti LuPone; and 'Till There Was You,' performed by Audra McDonald. All of the women returned to the stage to perform 'Make Our Garden Grow,' accompanied by the Choral Arts Society."

Playbill article

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 12/5/11 at 05:15 PM

SondheimFan5
#8Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 5:18pm

OOPS just saw that. Thanks!

Wish they had done Ice Cream...ah well. I hope all these numbers remain in the telecast!! I know in the past they've trimmed a lot of things, especially from the "Broadway person."

Close doing Losing My Mind is certainly interesting...

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#9Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/5/11 at 11:48pm

Ooooo...I bet Kristin Chenoweth is pissed she wasn't asked to sing Glitter and Be Gay

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Plum
#10Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/6/11 at 1:12am

Chenoweth was doing that country music awards show, so I'm sure she's doing fine. Kennedy Center Honors 2011         Can't wait to see the broadcast of this - I can't say Glenn Close would be my first choice for "Losing My Mind", but a lot of the other numbers sound good.

SamIAm2
#11Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/6/11 at 9:43am

I'm really tickled that Laura Osnes was chosen to be a part of this and what it says about her and her future. What a gas it must have been for her to perform in front of the President along so many all-time great artists.

f13overture
#12Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/27/11 at 10:32pm

Barbara Cook's tribute was awesome!!! And she was cute when everyone was clapping for her. it made me happy.

yay for Broadway's best on tv!!

SondheimFan5
#13Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/27/11 at 11:40pm

Beautiful. Really wonderful.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#14Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 5:39am

I loved it but Boo to them cutting Glitter and be Gay, which I thought would be a shoe in (as well as cutting Patti's Loving You) I admit I found it kinda embarassing to have Glenn Close badly attempt Losing My Mind in front of Cook, but... (She actually hit the notes better than I expected but f-ed up the rhythm and phrasing...)

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#15Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 8:09am

Oh and Rob Ashford's choreography was truly bizarre I thought.l Is he just in a 60s timewarp after How to Succwwd and Promises Promises? It reminded me of something you'd see on a 60s TV special with Ann Margaret or someone (actually it reminds me of the men in the hysterically campy 1960s State Fair remake with Ann--watch the men at the 2:30 part of Isn't it Kinda Fun here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Slu3DiNC4 )

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#16Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 9:09am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Anne Hathaway's singing. I really enjoyed her song. Laura Osnes was lovely. She clearly has what it takes to be continued success on the Broadway stage. One thing I noticed about Barbara Cook was her facial expression during the performances. When Patti LuPone came on, she seemed pleased to see her,as well as well Rebecca Luker, Kelli O'Hara, Laura Osnes and Audra McDonald. I didn't noticed much in the way of expression when Glenn Close came on...or was that just me? Speaking of... I'm loathe to say that G.C. was....(cough)...not terrible. I must say that Meryl Streep seemed to be enjoying herself throughout the evening. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#17Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 9:12am

This was amazing Kennedy Center Honors 2011               The tribute to Barbara was beyond perfect... but I could have SWORN I saw Christine Ebersole in the audience. Did someone else see her, too? I was sure she'd be up there for her... I wish she HAD been... in place of Sutton Foster... Oh, sorry... I should be nice Kennedy Center Honors 2011

I also love Neil Diamond and Meryl Streep, so this was one of my favorite Kennedy Center Honors in a LONG time Kennedy Center Honors 2011

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

givesmevoice
#18Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 9:12am

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Anne Hathaway's singing.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to find the tributes to performers who aren't known primarily for music stiff and awkward. I didn't think Streep's came alive until Hathaway started singing.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#19Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 9:17am

I went to the movies last night (Wim Wenders' very cool documentary on Pina Bausch btw). Was going to dvr it but forgot. I'm finding Streep's on youtube but not Cook's. Anyone know where I can find it?

Very nice presentation for Meryl. Hathaway sang beautifully and having Mike Nichols introduce the Ironweed set and Hathway singing the song from the movie was a very nice touch.

Meryl Updated On: 12/28/11 at 09:17 AM

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#20Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 10:04am

While the performers for Cook and Streep were great, I thought they were somewhat predictable/expected choices. More interesting I thought was the Neil Diamond tribute. Smokey Robinson? Lionel Richie? Loved Jennifer Nettles' (of Sugarland) version of Hello Again.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 12/28/11 at 10:04 AM

Owen22
#21Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 11:49am

Are the performances for Barbra Cook online anywhere? The tribute is there, but not the singers...

welcometothetheater Profile Photo
welcometothetheater
#22Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 1:40pm

EponineAmneris, I too saw Christine Ebersole and was baffled as to why she did not perform! Why wouldn't she have been asked? Furthermore, why would she have been invited to the ceremony and placed in a twice-photographed seat if she was not a performer? She has performed at multiple KCHs in the past. I was SO SAD when her name went unannounced!

For arts and culture commentary, along with other assorted opinions, visit WEEPING ON WHEELS at http://weepingonwheels.tumblr.com/

f13overture
SondheimFan5
#24Kennedy Center Honors 2011
Posted: 12/28/11 at 6:05pm

Beautiful tribute but I wish they hadn't cut Loving You and Glitter and Be Gay from the televised part... ah well...

Videos