pixeltracker

Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC

Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#1Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 7:59pm

Sorry if this was already discussed (and, truth be told...I didn't really check all that hard...) but according to a Lincoln Center mailing I received, it's one of the productions during the Lincoln Center Festival this summer.

Couldn't be more excited! I don't think I've ever enjoyed a production of UV as much as the STC production...what a treat to see it again in NYC! Especially during the doldrums of summer.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 8:29pm

Isn't Blanchett supposed to be doing another play in London around the same time?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#2Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 10:26pm

This along with two other performances are being offered to patrons of Lincoln Center (Allan Cummings in a one man Macbeth and a piece by Baryshnikov are the others). Starting donation is 5k for a set to all three.

Blanchette has a week's worth of performances at the Barbican in the summer. Not a long-term commitment.

whatever2
#3Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 10:53pm

actually, you can get in on the action now for a mere $2500 as well. =:o

or you can wait til single tickets go on sale in april.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Jordan Catalano
#4Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 10:55pm

Did it say which theater this was going into?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#5Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 11:05pm

No mention...but probably either John Jay or the Rose.

vegas2
#6Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 11:41pm

Do you know the dates for Uncle Vanya?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
vegas2
#8Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/16/11 at 11:57pm

Thanks for those dates. I'm not familiar with the various levels of patronage at LCT. Can anyone tell me what level of patron I would have to be in order to score tickets to Macbeth and Uncle Vanya without paying a scalper? Is $2500 the minimum? Or would one of the smaller "friends" contributions do the trick?

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#9Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 12:03am

Single tickets will go on sale later. Presumably April. Keep you eyes peeled.

Also, it looks as though this production is in collaboration with New York City Center...likely, that's where the performances will be staged.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#10Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 12:06am

And someone please correct me...but is this Cate's first stage performance on the island (i.e. not BAM)?

TotallyJeannius Profile Photo
TotallyJeannius
#11Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 12:40am

Oh wow, this is awesome news! Saw Uncle Vanya on a whim this past August and hope that the cast I saw in DC can make the leap to NYC.
Cate Blanchett is just golden in everything she does. Think my summer plans just got even better, and I'll be compulsively checking Lincoln Center's site like a crazy person starting now. Thanks for the scoop :)

whatever2
#12Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 9:55am

According to the materials i received, Cummings' one-man rendition of the Scottish play runs July 5-14 @ the Rose Theater, Cate's Uncle Vanya is the 18th to the 29th @ City Center, and Baryshnikov's In Paris is at the Lynch from August 1-5.

vegas2, you can become a Friend of Lincoln Center starting at a modest $75; that gives you a three- to seven-day jump on single tickets for a number of the campus' activities: LCF, Mostly Mozart, American Songbook, Lincoln Center Presents, yadda yadda. If memory serves,

LCF single tickets do indeed go on sale in April -- though last year's Royal Shakespeare residency started much sooner; in any case, they send you email and snail mail reminders (sometimes not until perilously close to the actual on-sale dates).

Though if you can afford more I'm sure they'd appreciate it. Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

ajh
#13Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 10:26am

New Yorkers should count themselves lucky that they're getting Cate Blanchett in this rather than the pretentious claptrap she's currently doing in Sydney and will be inflicting on London next year (Botho Strauss's GROSS UND KLEIN....what a load...just imho of course)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#14Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 2:00pm

Thanks, ajh, but many of us would feel far luckier had Ullman's uncommonly fine Streetcar made a BAM to Broadway transfer with Blanchett's extraordinary Blanche on it!

Updated On: 12/17/11 at 02:00 PM

Jordan Catalano
#15Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 3:35pm

Now THAT was one of the most amazing productions I've ever seen.

vegas2
#16Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/17/11 at 6:02pm

Thanks for this information. I've just booked a hotel for one week in July, in hopes that I can catch the last performance of Macbeth and the first performance of Uncle Vanya. Now I just need to score the tickets and a decent airfare . . .

binau Profile Photo
binau
#17Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/18/11 at 6:24pm

Wtf, is this at the NY City Center? Blanchett's performance is so understated I think, it will be boring in that barn....(unless it's in a smaller theatre there...do they exist?)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/18/11 at 06:24 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#18Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/18/11 at 6:38pm

Yes, there are 2 small theaters at the City Center in addition to the very large auditorium. The Manhattan Theater Club and the Pearl Theater Company are among those who perform in the smaller venues.

Owen22
#19Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/18/11 at 8:45pm

She is easily the finest Hedda I have every seen or ever hope to see. She found a perfect middle tone and treated it as high theatre AND high camp in the vein of Alexis on "Dynasty". It was brilliant.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#20Cate Blanchett / Sydney Theater Company's Uncle Vanya coming to NYC
Posted: 12/18/11 at 8:47pm

Beat the NY Times...halla.

Also...many New Yorkers have seen her in Streetcar...I'm all about seeing her again in Vanya, which she hasn't done in NYC.
Cate NYC

Videos