pixeltracker

Nick Jonas & Michael Urie in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?- Page 2

Nick Jonas & Michael Urie in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?

snl89
#25Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:19pm

Oh I know, but still, it's a lot of lines! Not saying it's impossible by any means, just saying I'm willing to cut him a break if he flubs a couple lines here and there at first

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

pitfever
#26Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:25pm

Based on the interviews, they only did ONE dress rehearsal before last night. That's insane.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:31pm

Based on the interviews, they only did ONE dress rehearsal before last night. That's insane.

How is that insane? It's not like he has 30 costume changes.

I'm not trying to say he shouldn't be given credit, but it's not like he's doing a one-man musical. Easy on the superlatives, Gleeks...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#28Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:31pm

Bridges's voice was pretty awful in the Guys and Dolls staged concert at the Hollywood Bowl and he had 1 song there. Bridges is also 71 now - a little old for Biggley, no?

Anyone know if they rehearsed together or separately? That could have something to do with the chemistry.

Hopefully Bridges won't end up like Jeffrey Tambor...Tambor would actually be a very good Biggley, its a much better fit for him than Georges in La Cage.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#29Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:47pm

The NY Daily News posted a review as well: http://nydn.us/wFXfwW

I really liked Daniel Radcliffe as Finch. I'm no Harry Potter fan so I had no idea what to expect but I was surprised at how he acquitted himself. I like the show's score but it's not Frank Loesser's best work. That distinction, to me, goes to "Guys and Dolls."

Did the Robert Morse and Matthew Broderick productions have as much choreography for Finch as this revival? I'm just curious.

kidbroadway2
#30Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 9:57pm

Saw an MTV clip w/ Criss and Beau rehearsing together.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#31Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 10:44pm

"Did the Robert Morse and Matthew Broderick productions have as much choreography for Finch as this revival? "

Hell to the no. It wasn't anywhere near as spastic as this versions choreography.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:19pm

I saw it tonight and was underwhelmed. I wasn't overly impressed with Radcliffe early in the run, but thought he grew into the role nicely, and the last time I saw it in November he and Larroquette had wonderful chemistry. They were easily the two best things about this rather lackluster revival.

I haven't seen an episode of Glee past the pilot, so I really didn't know Criss from Adam. I don't know how he fares on the show, but he was merely passable this evening. (I've seen a high school production with a better singing voice and more charismatic Finch.) He did seem nervous and stiff for the first act, and even when he loosened up a bit he lacked any sort of confidence- a trait vital for the role of Finch. It doesn't matter if you've had three previews or 500 performances; we must believe Finch believes in himself from the start or the piece doesn't work. His voice was thin and he hit a couple sour notes.

Bridges was a painful mess. He didn't know his lines (Tammy helped him out a bit) and his singing made Larroquette sound like Pavarotti.

Without Radcliffe there to charm us, numbers like "Grand Old Ivy" and "Brotherhood of Man" couldn't even excite. Ashford's crazy choreography seemed extra over the top tonight; perhaps the ensemble was trying to overcompensate for the lack of star power they're accustomed to?

I thought most of the rest of the cast was going to be replaced as well, but I guess they are switching over when Jonas joins.

I will say the audience, made up of mostly 14 year old girls, went absolutely crazy for anything Criss did. Granted I think they would have applauded had he stood up there farting and burping all night. After "Grand Old Ivy" one of my friend leaned over and said, "I haven't seen this many vaginal erections in a long time!"

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:25pm

Might we have another Jefferey Tambor on our hands with Beau Bridges?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:25pm

Do we have another Jeffrey Tambor situation on our hands with Bridges?

WhizzerMarvin
#35Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:29pm

LOL! I know you guys are two different people, but it's easy to see how some people think you're the same person. :)

I saw Tambor and Bridges was much worse. For what it's worth Bridges seemed to be having some fun whereas Tambor looked absolutely miserable in the role; it was clear he wanted out.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:31pm

OMG, That's hilarious, lol. We did not plan that!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#37Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:37pm

I'm really disappointed in the word on Criss so far...hopefully he gets better, I'm seeing him on the 15th.

For what it's worth, I really don't like Glee very much but I find him pretty charming on the show and in real life as well in interviews and such. Though I don't think he is as naturally charming as Radcliffe, I do think he's a pretty likable guy and it's a shame that doesn't seem to be carrying over.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#38Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:40pm

WOAH! That's hilarious!

WhizzerMarvin
#39Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/4/12 at 11:46pm

Criss comes across as anything but charming. He's way too nervous and tense be anything else, which is really the worse thing you could be for the character. Imagine if J. Pierrepont Finch was a real person and he was thrown into a musical with two days of rehearsal. Would he stammering and look petrified the whole time? No way! Even if he had to go with script in hand he would find a way to charm the pants off the audience and win them over. That's how this character succeeds, and that's what Criss needs to do, no matter his comfort level or vocal abilities.

Updated On: 1/4/12 at 11:46 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#40Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 12:18am

I really missed Radcliffe and Larroquette tonight. A huge disappointment. I am a huge fan of "Glee" and was very excited to see Criss live - sadly his voice was way too thin and he definitely cannot carry this show the way Radcliffe did. I hope Nick Jonas (who I do not have high hopes for) fares better. I go back on the 26th of January.

snl89
#41Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 12:21am

I'm really disappointed in the word on Criss so far...hopefully he gets better, I'm seeing him on the 15th.

Eh, I wouldn't be too swayed by other people- if you find him charming, you'll probably really enjoy him :)

For some reason Darren just seems to be quite polarizing- for some people he's super charismatic and enjoyable to watch and listen to (I'm one of those people), and others seem to think he's bland and not that talented. But pretty much everyone who DOES like him who's seen the show so far has said he's doing a great job.

Granted the more technical things like his flubbing some lines here and there or his being a little on the shakier side at times vocally are probably true, and those are the things that I think will probably improve really quickly. But in terms of people feeling like his acting isn't good or he doesn't have any charisma... pretty sure that's all just purely subjective, and if you like him in general I'm quite willing to bet you'll still really enjoy him in How To Succeed.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#42Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 12:32am

snl, we get it- you're a fan of Darren Criss.

As someone who hasn't even seen his performance in HOW TO SUCCEED..., you don't need to come forward and write an entire novel in his defense every single time someone says the slightest thing contrary about him.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/5/12 at 12:32 AM

snl89
#43Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 12:51am

I'm sorry, I was responding to someone who specifically expressed that they tend to find him charming, and seemed to be concerned by the negative reviews on here. And all I was suggesting is not to be discouraged because other people don't seem too thrilled by his performance since most people who do like him seem to be giving good feedback.

I'm not getting defensive in any way except that I'd hate to see people who might very well enjoy his performance a lot be turned off by the more negative reviews on here.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#44Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 1:29am

For the record, I'm not at all put off or any less excited to see him, just disappointed by the reception he seems to be getting from people who aren't Gleeks/Starkids (neither of which I really am, but as I said, I do like him)...I'll make my judgment when I see the show for myself, just as the people posting reviews here have done.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
DCROCKS
#46Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 7:32am

Honestly, I don't know what you are all talking about. I think you all go in with your opinions formed. Yes I found his voice to sound thin at times, but that's nothing the sound man can't fix!!!!Perhaps after his second performance he is pacing himself to see what he can do to survive eight shows a week! I loved Daniel in the show, and the way Darren plays him was very different, but it worked. Get a life, or better yet YOU get on that stage.

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#47Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 10:03am

"Get a life, or better yet YOU get on that stage."

Oh, OK!! I will! I didn't know you were allowed to do that.

Quite frankly, the only opinion I went into the show with was that Darren Criss was a cutie boy who I enjoyed in Glee. His voice just wasn't as strong as I hoped it would be. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#48Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 10:06am

Obviously if you don't like Criss, you hate theater and want to see actors out of work.

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#49Darren Criss & Beau Bridges in HOW TO SUCCEED... Thoughts?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 10:09am

....and are probably planning on voting for Rick Santorum.

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"