Liz McCartney----Phantom

justafan2
#1Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 7:32am

I saw Phantom yesterday (for about the 25the time) and was very impressed again at Liz McCartney's performance as Carlotta. I saw her once before and thought the show was much more enjoyable when she was performing. I really enjoy Hugh Panaro as the Phantom---but Liz is (IMO) by far the best Carlotta I've seen. Alot of energy and a wonderful voice.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#2Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 7:54am

I haven't seen her yet, but I adored Patricia Phillips in the role and I did see an amazing understudy, Wren Harrington, who was truly impressive. I really liked her performance on every level. That said, I am aware of Ms. McCartney's talent and I'm sure she's very good.

I want to get back there soon and see Trista Moldovan and Hugh Panaro. (I heard Moldovan is very good.)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 8:06am

Hugh is amazing, easily the BEST Erik I have seen live Liz McCartney----Phantom

I REALLLLLY love Liz as Carlotta Liz McCartney----Phantom

As for Trista... I am not a fan Liz McCartney----Phantom  But take that from someone who is VERY hard on Christines Liz McCartney----Phantom

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 3/1/12 at 08:06 AM

justafan2
#3Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 8:15am

Eponine--I agree with your source re: Trista. I didn't mention it because I didn't want to appear negative---but (again--IMO), Liz far outshone Trista in most aspects.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 8:49am

I thought McCartney was doing Madame Morrible on tour. Well good for her! I really enjoyed her Mrs. Lovett here in Chicago.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 12:27pm

I saw Trista last month and she's improved a lot since I saw her on the tour a few years ago. But her acting is still kind of dry and her voice is fine but nothing amazing.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 3/1/12 at 12:27 PM

broadwayriff
#6Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 12:42pm

Liz left the show back in July and joined the tour of Wicked as Morrible. Michele McConnell is currently playing Carlotta.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#7Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 12:53pm

Yeah, I was confused about that, too. The Phantom site says it's Michele playing Carlotta and the Wicked site says that Liz is playing Morrible.

". . . POP . . ."

justafan2
#8Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 1:04pm

My apologies---I don't have my playbill and I just checked playbill.com for the name---I definitely saw this actress twice (Michele) and thought she was VERY good!

Updated On: 3/1/12 at 01:04 PM

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#9Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 1:08pm

What also confused me is I never knew that Liz played Carlotta and from what I've seen of her, I never would have guessed that she had that vocal training / range. Pretty amazing!

". . . POP . . ."

eatlasagna
#10Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 10:25pm

question.... even though his name Erik is never mentioned in the musical at all... why do people refer to him as Erik instead of the Phantom? just because it's in the novel doesn't mean it's in the musical... just wondering

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/1/12 at 10:47pm

Phans do what Phans do.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#12Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/2/12 at 7:47am

Personally I dont use Erik, for the sole reason that when it comes to the ALW musical, he has no name. Yes he has in the novel and other versions blah blah blah, but not in this show, so I just dont use it.

Infact I would go as far to say that when people do call him Erik i tend to assume that they are die hard phans, the kind that take the show and storyline way too seriously.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#13Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/2/12 at 8:52am

^^ And I tend to assume people who write what you wrote are rude. I also assume you are a hypocrite, with your avatar and your obvious knowledge of "the show and storyline" and "the novel and other versions".

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#14Liz McCartney----Phantom
Posted: 3/2/12 at 2:30pm

Well I mean the die hard fans who cherish the story and characters as if they were real people, (like the ones involved with LSD and that sort of over the top fanaticsm. I have nothing against that and people can be whatever they want. For me I am a fan of the show, as it is, not as some long lost love story of redemption and all that, but as a theatrical product, theatrical design, piece of music.

but anyways, back to the topic at hand.

I first saw her as Carlotta back in 99 and thought she was excellent and formidable in the role and I loved how she towered above the 2 managers physically and vocally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Videos