pixeltracker

Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...- Page 2

Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/6/12 at 10:34pm

Back to CARNIVAL (one of my fav scores) HER FACE, the beautiful Ballad is first sung by Paul as a slightly tormented love song is reprised and added on to with the counter melody I HATE HIM. The combination of Paul's frustration and Lili's emotional rage after Paul's surprising kiss make for an amazing duet worthy of Puccini.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#26Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/8/12 at 1:54am

Idk if you can consider this a reprise because the title changes to Finale, but "No Moon," in Titanic is beautiful but once it is sang in a round fashion with "Autumn," it adds so much to it. Just a beautiful song in general. Love this music from this show.

exedore
#27Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/8/12 at 2:28am

"I've often wondered if "Goodbye Love" from Rent was a reprise in which the first part was cut before seeing the stage."

It's not, unless the cut was made before 1993.

bobs3
#28Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/8/12 at 3:44pm

The duet of A COCKEYED OPTIMIST at the end of the first act of SOUTH PACIFIC between Nellie and Emile. I believe it is only eleven bars but it is amazing. Supposedly during rehearsals for SOUTH PACIFIC, Mary Martin did not want to sing a duet with Ezio Pinza (who at the time was the most famous opera singer in the world) and she didn't want her voice to compete with his so that is the reason there is no duet (except for those eleven bars) between Nellie and Emile.

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#29Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/8/12 at 11:35pm

I also love Emile's little "A Wonderful Guy" reprise in South Pacific.

I also think the "I'm Falling In Love With Someone" reprise quartet in Millie is rather effective.

"...and in a bed."

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#30Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/9/12 at 2:36pm

I'm not much a fan of Webber, but when Murray Head kicks in to "I Don't Know How to Love Him" during "Judas' Death" on the original album, it's probably the most effective dramatic moment I've heard in a Webber recording.

Also, "Tonight" in West Side Story, if we count the Quintet/Chorus as a Reprise, has to be mentioned.

Some other ones I don't think have been mentioned yet, "Forever Yours" in Once on This Island (heart-wrenching), "I Am the One" in Next to Normal, "Look Over There" in La Cage, "Take Me to Heaven" in Sister Act (an altogether forgettable show, but a rather fantastic Act I Finale, that) and, for something completely different, the Lady of the Lake's rendition of "The Song That Goes Like This" in Spamalot, but that might only be because of Sara Ramirez...

I'll also second "Waitin' for the Light to Shine," "One," "Not a Day Goes By" (so incredibly heartbreaking) and, of course "I'll Cover You."

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#31Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/9/12 at 2:47pm

Some other ones I don't think have been mentioned yet..."Take Me to Heaven" in Sister Act (an altogether forgettable show, but a rather fantastic Act I Finale, that)

Someone already mentioned "Take Me to Heaven."

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#32Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/9/12 at 3:16pm

Good thing I didn't say "Some others I know haven't been mentioned yet!"

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#33Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/9/12 at 9:21pm

The reprise of "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" makes a chilling Act 1 finale in Cabaret.

A lesser show, but "Bring On Tomorrow (Reprise)" is more prominent than the song's first incarnation in Fame.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#34Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 5:00am

I have't seen it yet, but the "Newsies" cast album has "Santa Fe" as a prologue at the beginning of act one, and it ends act one also.

I wonder what allure Santa Fe has, because both in Newsies, the characters talk about going to Santa Fe, and also in Rent, they talk about going to Santa Fe also (and one thing that always bothered me in Rent was that it was Collins, Angle, and Mark that were singing about Santa Fe, and Roger is the one that ends up going, though I don't think he was around while the other characters were singing).

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#35Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 7:44am

I also agree that the "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" reprise is a very filling act 1 finale.

Also this is not so much a reprise but the recurring theme in parade of "Go on, Go on, Go on" is quite delicious.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#36Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 7:44am

I also agree that the "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" reprise is a very filling act 1 finale.

Also this is not so much a reprise but the recurring theme in parade of "Go on, Go on, Go on" is quite delicious.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

muchadoabout_me2
#37Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 8:26pm

Take That Look Off Your Face (Song and Dance/Tell Me On a Sunday)

sassylash3s
#38Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 10:04pm

I think you could make the case that "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" is a reprise in that it's the same melody as "Oh What a Circus."

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#39Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 11:15pm

"All At Once You Love Her" from PIPE DREAM. A nice, quiet duet for Doc and Suzy at the end of the first act, it really shines in the second act as a reprise for Fauna. That's always when the song really gets me.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

ghostlight2
#40Reprises that are better/more well known than the actual song...
Posted: 4/10/12 at 11:43pm

Tea for Two from No No Nanette?

Videos