pixeltracker

will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?

will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?

massofmen
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 4:33pm

I hope not. I enjoyed Leap.

Just give the world Love.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#2will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 4:41pm

Hard to say, but if it does it will be for very different reasons. I think some critics were harsh on GHOST is for two basic reasons: 1) they don't want to advance a trend on Broadway toward higher and higher high-tech driven productions (also louder and louder ones); and 2) GHOST will likely be popular with audiences no matter what they say, which they often resent. Most disliked PRISCILLA, but it's still running today (as did CATS, the original EVITA, etc.)

If they pan LEAP OF FAITH it certainly won't be because of overly high-tech production values, but more likely due to book/score/character problems.

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#3will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 4:53pm

I don't know, Ghost struck me as all "flash" and no "heart", almost cynically so; the overblown visuals raise the expectation that the really important parts (the book and score) will also be amazing, and the reviews suffered tremendously when that expectation was not met. I think critics love to rhetorically dogpile on shows that venture down that path.

(That's not to infer that Leap of Faith has "heart," because it does not. It just also does not have much "flash" either, and for some reason critics don't go for the throat on shows like that.)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#4will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 4:55pm

I think it will get similar reviews but for different reasons. Where one show is weak, the other is strong, and vice versa.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#5will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 5:08pm

I'm anticipating pans with some good to mixed reviews for Raul and Kecia Lewis-Evans.

It's a shame too because there is a good show in there but they can't seem to wring it out.

It should do well in stock though.

....but the world goes 'round

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#6will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 5:14pm

My two new boyfriends are in this show, so I hope it will get a decent run, but I'm not holding my breath. I enjoyed it.

bdboston
#7will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 5:24pm

Do people think "Ghost" got worse reviews than "The Addams Family"? That show was slaughtered yet maintained a decent, year-plus run.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#8will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 5:31pm

Raul's coat has enough flash for the entire production.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 6:12pm

THE ADAMS FAMILY had Nathan Lane.
GHOST has, well, nobody.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 6:21pm

bdboston - "Addams Family" had Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwith and I believe they stayed with the show a faily long time.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#11will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 6:25pm

So imagine if Nathan Lane was starring in GHOST! Now that I would pay to see!

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#12will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 8:17pm

Nathan Lane as Oda Mae Brown.....

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#13will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 8:24pm

The answer to this question: no.

At least I really hope not. GHOST was a disaster in nearly every way. LEAP OF FAITH looks like WEST SIDE STORY when compared to GHOST.

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#14will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/24/12 at 10:16pm

Sorry to say I think the dye's already been cast on this one. Unfortunately, they're bleeding money like there's no tomorrow and sadly, there will be a tomorrow. It'll come sooner than you think and there will be no joy in it for anyone.

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

wonkit
#15will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/25/12 at 12:23am

Actually, one casts a "die."

751guy Profile Photo
751guy
#16will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:55am

Actually, one casts a "die."
^^

Thanks, Wonkit!

I shouldn't really be posting late at night after working all day.

Reports are LEAP OF FAITH is losing over $400K a week, some nights papering over 800, so it doesn't bode well and no matter the reviews, the die is cast. Sad.

The number of people who will not see a show they don't want to see... is unlimited. Oscar Hammerstein

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#17will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/26/12 at 3:04am

I really think the subject matter does not appeal to the wider public.

I love the film, but I know I'm very much in the minority. try and sell the show in one sentence: "con man tries to trick people at religious revivals but learns his lesson"- it doesn't have instant appeal.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/26/12 at 3:25am

Do people think "Ghost" got worse reviews than "The Addams Family"? That show was slaughtered yet maintained a decent, year-plus run.

And? Addams never recouped its investment, so it was a flop.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#19will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/26/12 at 8:42am

It will, and should, get worse.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#20will leap of faith get worse reviews than Ghost?
Posted: 4/26/12 at 10:23am

Does anybody know what the weekly running cost of GHOST is? And by opening a show in multiple cities internationally, does that usually help a production recoup faster or no?