pixeltracker

Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement- Page 4

Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement

javero Profile Photo
javero
#75Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:00am

As a few of you know, I'm a black dude originally from NC. Some family members from back home have already sent email informing me that they're going to sit out the general election. They contributed to the record primary election turnout yesterday in support of what the local news media called NC's "Prop One".

I admire this President more than ever after his calculated public display of "nads". But, it comes at a cost, perhaps a couple of key swing states.

I suspect that NC, VA, SC, GA, PA, and OH will be major players come Nov. I'm not certain that the indies in those states will neutralize defectors from his AfAm evangelical base that is struggling internally with the issue still, though I dare not attempt to write on behalf of the group.

I'll toss the Obama/Biden re-election campaign a few coins now. Right now I'm wishing Justice Kennedy good health because the electoral vote gap between Romney and Obama just narrowed to the point that I'm bracing myself for the sequel to Bush v Gore.

In my mind and heart, the administration got this one right. Who woulda thunk it?

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

FindingNamo
#76Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:10am

Then it's time to start on the evangelical choir directors and their roommates.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#77Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:15am

Call us when DOMA's gone and more than six states allow marriage.

No way. No fuvking way. You don't get to be a crabby naysayer anymore. I disallow you from responding like that.

I'm calling you NOW. I'm calling you OUT. I'm calling you such a naysayer that you end up being a coward.

The president said. "Gay marriages are equal to straight marriages."

NO OTHER PRESIDENT HAD EVER SAID THAT BEFORE.

That's history.

You can't say "Call us when this happens or that happens. IT'S HAPPENING NOW. Feel it and rejoice. This is what happy feels like.

FindingNamo
#78Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:22am

This is what m-o-v-e-m-e-n-t is.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#79Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:35am

I have no idea why Yawper would send me a PM, unless someone's just trying to be a dick. Oh, never mind.

But to your point - wait, what is the point? I said Yeah, I'm reconsidering my bitchiness about it, because I realize this IS a big deal. At least homobigots will have to stop saying "But I take the same position of same-sex marriage as President Obama."

And then Yawper sourpussed I have a hard time picturing anyone actually saying this. And then I posted a link to homobigots actually saying it.

So, yeah, okay.

Updated On: 5/10/12 at 01:35 AM

WestEndAndy Profile Photo
WestEndAndy
#80Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:39am

The best thing Obama has ever said or done.

Yawper
#81Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:41am

See, that's the difference between mere words and the ability to take action, PJ. Unless you're a power-holding moderator you can't *allow* or *disallow* me from saying anything - just like legislators can't allow or disallow the Pres from saying whatever he wants within legal bounds. You do remember that it isn't the President who makes law, right?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#82Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 6:05am

It's a brave move and a VERY big deal. No matter how people try to spin it, it is groundbreaking and represents a huge societal shift.

What impact it will have on the election is impossible to know.

I think the Supreme Court's ruling on the health care mandate is far more important to Obama's re-election than his support of gay marriage.

....but the world goes 'round

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#83Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 6:22am

Oh, PalJoey... if we were both straight I would totally rock your world right about now.

I just love all of you and am so glad we got to see this and discuss it together!!!

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#84Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 6:28am

Rachel Maddow's report last night put Obama's announcement in context. It's a lengthy segment, but worth the time.
Maddow

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#85Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 7:36am

Having watched Cory Booker last night on Rachel's show and his passionate speech (January 2012) regarding equality for all, just makes me love, love, LOVE him!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#86Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 7:52am

Some people are only impressed by being unimpressed.

They live from one disappointment to another, because no matter what happens, it's "too late," "not enough," or "not perfect."

The whole world is spinning by without them.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

hermajesty Profile Photo
hermajesty
#87Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 7:58am

Excellent. Very brave.

All problems are man made and so, can be man solved.

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#88Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 9:23am

Rush Limbaugh is outraged over Obama's support for marriage equality! He has declared a war on marriage.

Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

FindingNamo
#89Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:37am

Time to call in your chits, Elton Frigging John!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#90Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 10:40am

Some people are only impressed by being unimpressed.

I can think of at least four around here who pretty much define themselves by being unimpressed by anything considered impressive. I assume they can only have sex with masochists.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#91Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:02am

I think it's magnanimous of you to assume they're having sex.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#92Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:10am

Oh, I think they're having sex. They're just completely unimpressed by it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#93Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 11:12am

"Oh, I think they're having sex. They're just completely unimpressed by it."

Welcome to marriage equality.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#94Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 12:43pm

This AP article on the worldwide significance of Obama's announcement makes some interesting points about the challenges the president's declaration presents for anti-gay politicians world wide, particularly in conservative Catholic and Muslim countries.

The quote from the Jamaican minister and government official shows what impact this has: homophobes who have loved Obama all along must now take his opinion on gay marriage seriously, even if it goes against their religious and cultural suppositions.

He has inserted the element of doubt into their firmly held prejudices. That is how change begins.

AP: Obama gay marriage support seen as world precedent

Updated On: 5/10/12 at 12:43 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#95Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 1:03pm

"I think the Supreme Court's ruling on the health care mandate is far more important to Obama's re-election than his support of gay marriage."

Taz,

I don't like discounting anyone but the folks down in NC who came out in full force in support of Amendment One do NOT understand the implications of what they've done nor the impact of a repeal of the health care mandate.

Some of the very ones who supported Obama in the Dem primaries only to see him flip flop on the issue of health care mandate once elected are completely repulsed by same-sex marriage and have their "God" on their sides.

Their "God" will permit a health care mandate but there is no way under the sun that he'll allow same-sex marriage to take hold of their nation.

To them, Obama's bold statement precipitates the coming of the End Times.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but encourage everyone, especially Libertarians, to contribute to and support Obama/Biden's re-election campaign.

Romney is probably the only Republican contender in recent memory that I've ever thought of supporting but he's simply in the wrong party and his prospects for a running mate shake me to my core.

Just think of a Romney-McDonnell administration with Michele Bachmann as Sec of Health & Human Services, ordained by the ghost of Jerry Falwell.

Please forgive the lengthy post.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 5/10/12 at 01:03 PM

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#96Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 3:23pm

Bristol Palin Rips Obama: Gay Marriage Is WRONG and So Is 'Glee'

She is dumber than her Mom, the QUITTER from Alaska!

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/10/bristol-palin-obama-a-bad-father-for/

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#97Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 3:35pm

"[I]f you understood that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence, you would embrace us faster than KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert." -Bristol Palin, 2010

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#98Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 3:40pm

Oh...Oh that was rich. Immensely funny. 'Specially the part about having a mom and dad in the home.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#99Obama's Big Gay Marriage Statement
Posted: 5/10/12 at 3:49pm

Bristol Palin - it's time to start calling Lifetime Television (also home of Will and Grace Reruns and that new Doogie Howser show).
Life's a Tripp