pixeltracker

First Performance of Triassic Parq

First Performance of Triassic Parq

caliphillips
#1First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 1:04am

I was skeptical, but I saw it. The entire audience laughed the entire time. Funny with so much heart. Two standing ovations - once at the end of the show, one at the end of the curtain call. I reccomend it very highly. I bet this will go to broadway.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 2:12am

I saw it at Fringe and cracked up. How has it changed since then?

I'm not sure I would think "Broadway" immediately. After the failures of Scottosboro Boys, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, and Lysistra Jones I'm not sure producers are clamoring for that obscure off-beat show.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#2First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 2:17am

I seriously could not stop laughing! It's amazing!!

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#3First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 3:04am

...Maybe New World Stages - what with MDQ closing?

Mystic Pasta
#4First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 6:56am

This is an enjoyable off-off Broadway show. Bravo to the producers for making it happen. I liked it for it's creativity but it does not have mass appeal for a commercial run. Gay dinos & unitards downtown = genius. Gay dinos & unitards at the Lyceum = disaster. Also, not appropriate for kids. Sound was pretty off last night but I assume that will improve. The book needs a lot of work. Felt like a second draft of a funny skit.

caliphillips
#5First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 9:30am

I can't speak to the fringe production cuz i didn't see it, but this one is really really good. It's billed as a comedy and I definitely was laughing the whole time, but I also really cared about the story, which sounds silly because it was about gender-confused dinosaurs. But I did. The characters are very real. You guys are probably right that broadway isn't the right place, but this is definitely going to be a hit. At least that's what I felt based on the audience.

DDons988
#6First Performance of Triassic Parq
Posted: 6/13/12 at 10:15am

I was lucky enough to attend the dress rehearsal two nights ago, and actually joined this message board so I could contribute to this thread.

I was invited to the dress rehearsal by a friend who is working as an intern on the production. I knew nothing more than it was about transgendered dinosaurs. I am a reassigned female, and so obviously was more than a little bit nervous about attending. I expected them to poke fun at my community.

Instead what I received was one of the most accurate, heart warming explorations of identity crisis I've encountered in a while in entertainment. While everyone around me was laughing, I was sitting in awe. I don't know if anyone on the creative team has experience with reassignment, or if they stumbled upon a happy accident. But it was so thrilling to watch a musical tell my story.

As far as the craft itself, the songs were catchy and creative and the lyrics were clever. The book was hysterical, the storytelling was complete - if that book needs work then I don't know what a working book is. This musical is as complete as any I've seen in a while.

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#7First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/16/12 at 12:24am

RippedMan wrote:I'm not sure I would think "Broadway" immediately. After the failures of SCOTTSBORO BOYS, BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON, and LYSISTRATA JONES I'm not sure producers are clamoring for that obscure off-beat show.

I get your point about those shows all being less mainstream, off-beat productions, which is something they have in common, but I think it is worth saying that THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS is in a class of its own compared to those other two shows, a far more accomplished piece of musical theatre overall.

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

#8First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/18/12 at 2:37am

does anyone know Triassic Parq's run time?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#9First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/18/12 at 2:49am

As a Submissions Only fan, it's fun to see Gail do a show with "Compass-ition Guy".

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/18/12 at 3:40am

Rainbowjude: I'm not commenting on their quality, I'm saying they were all "off-Broadway" hits that moved uptown and failed on Broadway and closed fairly quickly. I'm just saying I think producers would be a little more hesitant to send a show straight-to-Broadway. Granted, ONCE is a hit this season, but I think they were always aiming towards Broadway.

Luv2goToShows
#11First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/18/12 at 7:40am

guettboy, run time is about 90 minutes no intermission.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#12First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 6/18/12 at 8:53am

Standing ovations!?!?!? Wow!!!! Did they clap after every song, too?

#13First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/6/12 at 11:54pm

I saw Triassic Parq tonight. And I LOVED it. I did not expect it to be as good as it was. First off, I went into this thinking it’d be a cute, naughty send up of Jurassic Park. But it’s really its own thing. Sure, it makes fun references to the movie, but it’s more of a Rosencrantz and Guildenstern kinda thing. Triassic is its own story.

The whole cast was fantastic, and they’re each given moments to shine. It was especially fun seeing the Lysistrata Jones vets and the Submissions Only guy. The score is fun, the book is smart, and the production value is great. As soon as you walk into the theater, it’s like you’re in the Park (Parq?) with them. Soundscapes of dinosaurs, rumbling beneath the seats, some effective moody lighting.

Loved "Get Out," loved "Dick Fix" (yes that was actually the name of a song)

Anyway, this show is such a blast. Kudos to those guys.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#14First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/7/12 at 6:04pm

J'adore! An acquaintance of mine is in the show and I went to see it not having any idea what to expect. I had such a great time. And can't complain about the fun bar downstairs and 2-for-1 drink Tuesdays. One of the most raucous and hilarious times I've had at a show in a long time.

I agree with the sentiments in this thread that it isn't a "Broadway" show and it really is more of a downtown thing, though I can kind of see it at New World Stages? Either way, I wish nothing but the best for this production and hope the rumors of an extension are true.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#15First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/15/12 at 7:45pm

bumping again—saw yesterday's matinee, quite enjoyed it. I don't think it will go to Broadway, honestly, it's selling really poorly at the SoHo Playhouse. Which makes me sad, I think the show deserves a bigger audience than the one it's getting (or at least the one it had yesterday). Fun show!

I thought Alex Wyse was good in Lysistrata Jones, but he really impressed me in this!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#16First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/15/12 at 9:56pm

How long does it run until? I would love to catch it the next time I'm in NYC.

keb2 Profile Photo
keb2
#17First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/15/12 at 10:20pm

August 5!

#18First Performance of TRIASSIC PARQ
Posted: 7/16/12 at 3:23am

I agree with you about the show not being of "Broadway" material, and I think the best comparison of this show is to Lysistrata Jones. While off Broadway, they were hits because the audience tended to be more mature and older. Who takes a 10year old to off Broadway shows in the city? Also, both stories were raunchy and sexual, which doesn't play well for most Broadway theatre settings.
I also feel that bringing this show to a bigger stage would be a complete disadvantage to the audience. As said in previous reviews of the show, the pre show and stage are set up to be like an amusement park ride about dinosaurs. You can only do this is a small intimate setting. (and, although I am biased because I got stage seating the first time I went to see the show, I feel this show is not complete without actor interaction, which is not limited to a simple hair toss).
While I say all these somewhat harsh things about the show, I loved it. It was the best 90minutes I have spent in an off Broadway show in a while. It has been a month since I saw it, and I still talk about Lindsay Nicole Chamber's fading blue pen tattoo and Alex Wyse's amazing vocals.

Videos