No leads in Into the Woods...?

Musicaldudepeter
#1No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:18pm

I was just watching the original production of ITW on DVD, and was just thinking to myself is it true to say that there are actually no leading characters/roles in this show. Certainly the way the original production was directed, Lapine seems to make out that it is truly an ensemble show and that they are all considered 'featured' or 'supporting,' similar to that of an ensemble television show. I mean, I can't figure out whether the Witch is a lead or a supporting role, the same with the Baker and his Wife. I think they're all supporting. It's a great ensemble show to be part of, imo, because there's a real sense of community about the whole thing. Reminds me of the old Gilbert & Sullivan shows where the composers made sure they created no leading roles, so as to keep that 'family' feel within their companies.

Leadingplayer
#2No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:41pm

True. I always thought it was odd Joanna Gleason got a lead Tony BUT a featured Drama Desk Award

Musicaldudepeter
#2No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:44pm

I found it ridiculous that John McMartin was nominated for leading actor (despite his top billing) for his Narrator in the 2002 revival... I suppose in the hope that several performers will be nominated they had to split into leads/supporting roles, but I think that that is invalid when it comes to this show.

Leadingplayer
#3No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:46pm

That's probably why Betty Buckley quit the show!

nasty_khakis
#4No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:47pm

The Baker and his Wife are the emotional heart and "leads" of the story. HOWEVER, a director could chose to focus more say, on the Witch and she could be the through-line lead. Or you could cast Anne Hathaway as Cinderella, focus on her and give her a leading nomination.

The piece really is an ensemble show material wise, but it seems to all revolve around the Baker and the Baker's Wife.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 7:47pm

The size of the role does not matter. If Ricky Martin were cast in the ensemble of EVITA and he was still billed above the title, he is automatically in consideration for the Leading category. From there, the producers and/or the Tony administration committee can petition them to the Featured category.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

mybestaudition
#6No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/21/12 at 11:28pm

According to Equity all of the named roles are principal roles and therefore on principal contracts. When I did the show at one of the big regional theaters they considered the Witch, Jack, Little Red, Cinderella, Baker and Baker's Wife the "leads" (i.e. private dressing rooms, etc.) and everyone else was supporting (though everyone was paid on a principal contract). But I think it just depends on the theatre and the contract.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 12:14am

Being on an AEA principal contract does not indicate whether or not a role is Leading. Not in the general sense of the term, nor in the Tony Awards' definition.

If the OP meant "leading role" according to the definition as per Tony Awards placement, refer to my previous reply. If they meant in the general sense of the term "leading role" then, regarding INTO THE WOODS, or any other show for that matter, it is up to interpretation.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 12:20am

They did mean it in the loose sense of the word not in a precise technical sense such as billing/tony awards/contracts etc.

I do think the Baker's wife and Witch are leadingish though. Certainly more than say CHORUS LINE, which is a true ensemble show IMO. I didn't realise Cassie's role was so small until I saw (the revival production in Aus) two days ago.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/22/12 at 12:20 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 2:00pm

as a matter of philosophy, the Public's shows never distinguish between level of performer. It has always been thus.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#10No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 3:20pm

The character with the through-line is actually The Baker. Without spoiling it for those who don't know the musical, it's clear that all of the stories ultimately dovetail into his. Ironically, he has no solo. (Yes, many verses of duets but no actual solo.) Zien and Rosa were both superb; I loved them both for different reasons, with Zien having the slight edge. t I think a production as yet conceived could be strategically built around the character, ironically. The Witch is a showy role; but if you're explicating the theme, the plot and its emotional catharsis, stick to The Baker. He endures, and he carries forth the lessons of the show.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 7/22/12 at 03:20 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#11No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 3:52pm

Any time there are roles which can be cognized as either leads or featured roles, people debate it as if it's a makes a difference. Except for awards consideration, which is famous for putting clear leads in featured categories, and vice versa, anyway, let alone not necessarily knowing what to do with roles that can arguably go either way, what difference does it make?

Musicaldudepeter
#12No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 4:15pm

I'm just curious and interested. So if you're not willing to share any valid information, can you please stop hijacking this thread. Thanks! No leads in Into the Woods...?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#13No leads in Into the Woods...?
Posted: 7/22/12 at 4:32pm

A famous acting teacher once said that EVERY actor, while on stage, is the lead actor in their own story in the world of the play. It's just that the audience can only focus on select ones at a time.

Dissecting INTO THE WOODS from a writing standpoint makes for good conversation, but we ALL know that the true lead is Milky White!

--Aristotle