R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

Myron
#100R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/12/12 at 10:17am

The world is a sadder place without Mr. Hamlisch. His talents will be missed as he gave us some of the greatest showtunes of all time. I always loved "What I Did for Love" and "One". For films he did "Looking Through the Eyes of Love" (Ice Castles) and of course "The Way We Were". RIP

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#101R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/14/12 at 2:54pm

His funeral service today was extraordinary. Beautiful, moving, joyful and the Temple was filled with song and love.

I was honored to have been included in the chorus which sang in tribute to this great man this morning. We sang a stunning arrangement of 'The Way We Were', 'What I Did For Love' and 'At The Ballet' (with Idina Menzel as soloist).

Speakers included former President Bill Clinton, Howard Stringer, Ronald Lauder, friends and colleagues and his widow, Terre.

All touched upon how this man was a true genius, but he was a genuine man, as well. He never said 'no' and was a passionate supporter of arts organizations and keeping funding for arts in our schools. He had a sense of humor, was a friend to all, and loved dessert. One speaker told of a luncheon held in his honor, during which only desserts were served! He seized the goodness in life and lived right up until he died. He was thrilled with the good reviews of 'Nutty Professor' and, in the end, he died a happy man.

He died too soon. He died far too soon.

His music, and his legacy, will live forever.

"Marvin taught me how to live life with gusto and magic" - Terre Blair Hamlisch

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 8/14/12 at 02:54 PM

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#102R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/14/12 at 3:40pm

The news will have much better recaps than I will...
Washington Post

broadwayguy20012 Profile Photo
broadwayguy20012
#103R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/14/12 at 6:22pm

I was there today singing toi NYadgal..7E North, Tenor 1, beautiful service...

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#104R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/14/12 at 9:09pm

FOX News reporter Cal Thomas published a touching remembrance in which he said his good friend Hamlisch had a kidney transplant that very few people knew about.

Thomas wrote, "Recently he had a kidney transplant, which was known only to a few people. He told his wife, Terre Blair, he would rather die than be ahead of someone on a waiting list. He didn't have to worry. A close friend donated one of his own kidneys. Terre said the new kidney was functioning well, but complications from an unrelated condition drove him into a coma from which he never recovered."

It is unknown exactly when the transplant took place, or what the additional condition was.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#105R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/14/12 at 11:23pm

QUOTE: "Hamlisch, who became the youngest person accepted by The Juilliard School at age 7, became one of the most decorated artists in history, winning three Oscars, four Emmys, four Grammys, a Tony, a Pulitzer and two Golden Globes."

did not know he had won that many awards. what an amazing talent. wish I could have been at his funeral.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#106R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 9:39am

broadwayguy20012, I was wondering if any other BWW'ers were in the chorus. Wasn't it special?

A wonderful article from this morning's NY Times. It continues to capture was a special man he was. Above and beyond his brilliant talent.
NY Times: Lollipops in the Midst of Grief

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#107R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 9:47am

Addy, Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have had the song, "One" running in my head quite frequently now. I can't believe it had taken me years to see the original production of A Chorus Line, but took advantage of seeing the tour 4 times in two weeks when it was in DC 3 years ago. The closing number got to me every time.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#108R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 10:07am

Addy--what an extraordinary experience to be singing his music there! Thank you for telling us about it.

Jennifer Ashley Tepper, the young producer of the If It Only Runs a Minute series of concerts, also sang in the chorus and posted this emotional account of the service:

http://broadwaybuzz.tumblr.com/post/29442970416/producer-jennifer-ashley-tepper-talks-about-marvin

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#109R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 12:20pm

Thanks for sharing that! She captured so many of the details.

I was seated on the aisle of my row, and across the aisle from me was Robert Klein (who wiped tears away throughout the service). In front of him was Donna McKechnie, next to Susan Lucci, who was across from Kelli O'Hara, who was in front of Marc Shaiman... it was a room filled with remarkable talent - all there to celebrate this one special man, and his lifetime of achievement and his ability to make the world a better place.

I will always keep my copies of the sheet music, on which is printed that the arrangements were adapted and used with permission for Marvin Hamlisch Funeral.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#110R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 12:26pm

Please forgive me if this remains private, but did they ever release a cause of death?

I'll be listening to the cast recording of Chorus Line at my desk this afternoon. RIP Mr. Hamlisch.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

hockeynut2
#111R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 1:19pm

Here is my article: A Lovefest for a Mensch-A Celebration of the Life of Marvin Hamlisch at Temple Emanu-El on DCMTA.
A Lovefest for a Mensch-A Celebration of the Life of Marvin Hamlisch at Temple Emanu-El on DCMTA

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#112R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/15/12 at 8:18pm

Wonderful article. Thank you for sharing it.