R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#1R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:04am

This is the only website I can find reporting it, so maybe it's false information.

Composer of "A Chorus Line" and one of the great EGOT's. Sad to see him go.
Play the great big piano in the sky! Updated On: 8/7/12 at 09:04 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:09am

Oh, wow.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#2R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:13am

The Associated Press has reported it via Twitter, but I'm slightly still in denial.

Brian07663NJ
#3R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:16am

shocked! Very sad news. I hear in my head Lisa Loopner (the great Gilda Radner) singing The Way We Were while playing the piano and breaking into a sob.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#4R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:18am

He won three Academy Awards in one night at the 1973 awards between his work on The Sting and The Way We Were.

Wall Street Journal now reporting it. Updated On: 8/7/12 at 09:18 AM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#5R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:22am

Wow sad and shocking news. Peace and comfort to his family.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#6R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:23am

I just got the breaking news alert from the AP on my phone- wow, this is just such sad news... RIP and thank you for the music!

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
iluvtheatertrash
#8R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:25am

So very, very sad.... Rest in Peace.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#9R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:26am

Shocked. And very, very sad.

RIP, Mr. Hamlisch and thank you for your incredible music.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Gothampc
#10R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:27am

"Composer and conductor Marvin Hamlisch, best known for the torch song "The Way We Were," died Monday. He was 68 years old."

I would beg to differ. I think in the 1970s, "What I Did For Love" was just as well known as TWWW.

The Hamlisch music was such a part of the 1970s. His music was all over the variety shows of that time and really was part of the soundtrack of growing up.

Also we should mention that he was an EGOT.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#11R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:30am

Wasn't Hamlisch working on one of the shows aiming for Broadway this spring? I'm really surprised and saddened.

He gave us one of the greatest scores ever written.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#12R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:31am

Yeah, THE NUTTY PROFESSOR, with Rupert Holmes.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#13R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:32am

What truly sad news to wake up to. I did not even know he had been sick.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#14R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:33am

This E-mail from a friend of mine --

"I heard he left mid-way through the last Pittsburgh Pops concert saying he wasn't feeling well and went to the hospital. I think they just said it was the flu. That wasn't all too long ago."

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#15R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:34am

This hit me so hard. I am in complete shock R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch Marvin was a great man who constructed a score that brings so much joy into my heart. Rest In Peace Marvin.

Jon
#16R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:35am

As Goth said, he really was EVERYWHERE in the mid-to-late 1970's. A fixture of talk shows, variety shows, etc.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#17R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:39am

RIP Marvin Hamlisch... R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#18R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:39am

I finally got around to watching Every Little Step last year, and it was so good to see him talking about his memories and input with the show.

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#19R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:44am

Re: EGOT. Hamlisch was actually one of only two PEGOTs — Pulitzer, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony. (Richard Rodgers was the other.)

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 8/7/12 at 09:44 AM

#20R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:44am

R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch Kiss Today Goodbye

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#21R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:48am

Very very sad. Gone now are Jimmy Kirkwood, Joe Papp, Nickolas Dante, Michael Bennett and now Marvin. Truly is the passing of a theatrical era.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#22R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:56am

I'm speechless. A Chorus Line was one of the first cast albums that got me into musical theater. And while some of his shows weren't hits, the scores were always fantastic.

He is one of those people who impacted my life on a very personal level.

This one hits me at my very core.

Totally shocked and deeply saddened.

....but the world goes 'round

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#23R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 9:57am

I feel that way, too, Taz.

I feel as if I lost a friend...
Really heartbroken.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#24R.I.P Marvin Hamlisch
Posted: 8/7/12 at 10:05am

I really hope "The Nutty Professor" comes in now and he can have one more Broadway credit to his name.

I LOVE the OBCR of "The Goodbye Girl" (never saw the show live), and "The Sweet Smell of Success" and "Smile" have wonderful scores, even if the shows didn't run that long.

I also never realized he did the dance arrangements for "Golden Rainbow" and "Henry, Sweet Henry!" Truly he brought so much joy into the world with his music, and he'll have that legacy 100 years from now.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!