pixeltracker

Menken Confirms "Aladdin" to Broadway.

Menken Confirms "Aladdin" to Broadway.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1Menken Confirms "Aladdin" to Broadway.
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:28am

So I'm assuming Spring of 14?

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-aladdin-broadway-21773/

I hope that link works, I don't know how insert a link into the message box.

ucjrdude902
#2Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:42am

Let me add, I originally saw the story on Perez Hilton, who actually gets his Broadway stuff right most of the time so I found another article.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#2Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:44am

Yes, please Menken Confirms

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#3Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:45am

I'm thinking this will go into the New Amsterdam and Poppins will close by then.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#4Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:47am

3D glasses are rumored to be incorporated? Dear God.

Updated On: 8/17/12 at 09:47 AM

bradk3
#5Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:48am

it's my site, so first thank you, especially for tracing it back from Perez who actually links to another site that links to me.

I just wanted to chime in and make you aware that since there's a revived interest in the article, I've updated it to include an audio recording of Menken mentioning Broadway and performing two songs from the musical that night.

I also removed the 5th Ave theater video that was teasing a Broadway production which I learned about from this site, since that turned out to be A Christmas Story... but I definitely felt like I owed it to the BW forum members to let you know about the new recording in case they missed it by going to the site earlier.

#6Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:52am

3-D glasses? I assume that means some sort of video projections? Because, you know, usually live theater IS 3-D, glasses or no.

ucjrdude902
#7Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:52am

If Annie doesn't do so great I could see them going HUGE with this production and it stepping, or should I say riding a magic carpet, straight into the Palace.

bradk3
#8Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 9:56am

@JoeKv99

3D has already been incorporated into the show at Tuacahn for the Cave of Wonders/Friend Like Me performance. They even include a surcharge for the glasses in the ticket prices.

Whether that makes it to Broadway is another story, but I've read good things about it as odd as 3D in live theatre sounds.

pli1018
#9Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:02am

Menken has also "confirmed" Hunchback is coming to Broadway many times over the years, but that hasn't happened. While Aladdin is much more likely, I'm not getting too excited just yet.

iluvtheatertrash
#10Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:06am

Had just posted the Perez link on another thread, but glad you found something better. Marked that other thread for deletion now.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#11Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:18am

I hope people fall from the carpet ala Spider-Man! I want the hint of death with my family entertainment.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:29am

I'll second that this will take the New Amsterdam, forcing Poppins to close by the end of 2013.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#13Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:32am

Did anyone see this at the MUNY?

"The Little Mermaid" was supposed to play at the MUNY around the 4th of July, but "Aladdin" replaced it long after they announced their schedule, which gave me a clue that they might be trying to get it to broadway.

Is this production anything like the Jr production that has been licensed to schools for the last 10 yrs?

bradk3
#14Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 10:42am

from what I understand, mostly from Howard Ashman's sister, Sarah, via her website, the adaptation is mostly true to the film for the purpose of recognition, but they did drop Abu in favor of Aladdin's ragtag human team, as was part of Howard's original outline for the story. They also introduced four songs cut from the original movie, including 'proud of your boy,' which Aladdin sings to his mother, who I don't believe has been physically added to the musical (tho I could be wrong) and a some other new songs, so I'm sure the story has been modified at least slightly to make room for them.

I've been very tempted to try to see it in Utah before it closes, though spending $600 and 20 hours of travel time to see a 2 hour show in the middle of nowhere is questioning my sanity.

#15Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:01am

But is it a 3-d video or what? Live theater is 3-D- just like life. You only need 3-D effects to make a flat surface seem three dimensional.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#16Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:04am

If this is a minor revision of the production that played Seattle, the 3-D is going to be an odd choice, given how much of the humor in the Seattle staging came from jabs at how low-budget and minimalistic the sets and special effects were.

As far as 3-D images integrated with live theatre, I say sure! GIve it a shot! Experimenting with new things is one of the joys of theatre, seeing what works and what doesn't. Is it a gimmick? Well, sure it is! But theatre has a place for gimmicks. We wouldn't have musicals if someone hadn't thought to shoehorn unnecessary interludes with leggy girls into The Black Crook.

ucjrdude902
#17Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:06am

I'd like to see a puppet Abu alah Zazu.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:07am

God help us.

bradk3
#19Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:08am

I haven't found too much info on the 3D scene yet (not that I've looked extensively) but it's specifically for the Friend Like Me sequence where the Genie does some pretty out there stuff which can't normally be staged, so I assume it's a combination of film and theatrical effects. Tho Disney Parks' Disney Creative Entertainment did a pretty decent job with the number at Disney California Adventure, so I consider this as much a gimmick as much as anything else.

ETA: here's an article on the 3D. Just skimmed through it, but it seems like one of the objectives was to 'hover' the lamp over the audience and 3D is reportedly being done in theatre in London and elsewhere.
Updated On: 8/17/12 at 11:08 AM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#20Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:24am

Didn't this receive horrible notices when it premiered? Has it been changed significantly since then? For people have seen both shows, is is better than "The Little Mermaid"? Or "Tarzan"?

jbm2
#21Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:30am

Saw the show a couple of nights ago. Very surprised they are still planning on taking it to Broadway. the 3-D scene was okay, kids will like it. Overall... The songs were good, story was weak.... It felt very juvenile.

beautywickedlover
#22Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:35am

Since 2014 is still a while away, there is still time to fix what needs to changed in the musical. Some reviewers say that the show is enjoyable but needs work.

Amneris25
#23Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:52am

ErinDillyFan, Aladdin didn't replace The Little Mermaid at the MUNY. Mermaid played the MUNY last summer, in 2011, and Aladdin played the same slot this summer, in 2012. So they did not replace The Little Mermaid.

Amneris25
#24Menken Confirms
Posted: 8/17/12 at 11:52am

ErinDillyFan, Aladdin didn't replace The Little Mermaid at the MUNY. Mermaid played the MUNY last summer, in 2011, and Aladdin played the same slot this summer, in 2012. So they did not replace The Little Mermaid.