Twitter versus Theater?

NewYorkTheater Profile Photo
NewYorkTheater
#1Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 1:45pm

The Guardian has an article "Is it OK to use Twitter mid-performance?" in which both author and every commenter (except me) rails against Tweeting.
To be against Tweeting at a show is as safe as being against spitting at the actors. But it strikes me as close-minded. As I said in my comment:
There is a real community online, and it is never more evident than during a live event such as the Tony Awards or a Presidential debate or even just a popular television show like Smash or (once) Glee. The ongoing commentary enhances the experience.
Would this be the case for a theatrical performance? I don’t know.

Is it OK to use Twitter mid-performance? Updated On: 10/20/12 at 01:45 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 4:14pm

My money is on twitter.

AwesomeDanny
#5Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 4:52pm

Why can't you wait until intermission or after the performance?

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#6Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 5:40pm

I was texting and tweeting my dismay throughout Cyrano, if that helps…

TheGirlUpstairs Profile Photo
TheGirlUpstairs
#4Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 6:24pm

The difference there is that the people who are tweeting during the debate or during a TV show are not present during a live performance in a dark theater. Tweeting requires a phone, and the light of that phone is incredibly distracting to the performers and to the other audience members. It's an absolute no-go.

Common courtesy would also require that you at least act like you're paying attention to the performers who are working their asses off AT THAT MOMENT, in the same room as you, for your benefit. Messing around on twitter =/= paying attention.

ThankstoPhantom
#5Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 6:29pm

I'm of the school that thinks theatre is a space to perpetuate engagement with the present. Commenting on an event is not being fully present, even when tweeting about a debate whilst in your living room. In addition, commenting during an event dampens the importance of considering. Making the world solely a place for knee-jerk reaction cheapens thought.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 6:53pm

....and is disruptive to the surrounding audience.

....but the world goes 'round

NewYorkTheater
#7Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 9:48pm

These arguments are all good ones -- to explain why you don't like people Tweeting during a performance. But, like or not, that's the way the world is going. What are you going to do, arrest people who do in the theater what they do everywhere else? Wouldn't it make more sense for theaters to find a way to make sure this practice doesn't disrupt other theatergoers? You can complain about the world -- or you can find a (probably technical) solution that moves us forward.
Is it OK to use Twitter mid-performance?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 10:23pm

Just because people do it doesn't mean they should be catered to.

Progress doesn't mean "for the idiots of the world".

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LuminousBeing Profile Photo
LuminousBeing
#9Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 10:27pm

It wouldn't bother me one bit if ushers did begin arresting people who turn on their phones for ANY reason during a live theatrical performance. A single phone has the potential to disrupt every single person in the theater, including the actors. Bottom line: if you don't have the attention span to sit through a two hour performance, save your hundred dollars, spare everyone around you the disruption, and stay home.

NewYorkTheater
#10Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 10:31pm

I can see why such behavior would upset you, and why you would want to complain about it. But what do you suggest should be done about it? Should we chase away from the theater all people who don't know theater etiquette? Should we offer manners classes? Should we just fill the theater boards up with angry rants? Or should we look for a solution that accommodates a growing diversity of theatergoers -- makes people of all backgrounds and experiences feel comfortable going to the theater -- and at the same time minimizes the disruption for the (dwindling number of) traditional theatergoers?

Updated On: 10/21/12 at 10:31 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#11Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 10:39pm

We shouldn't chase them away- they should listen to the announcement at the beginning of the show that tells them to turn off their phones.

Last night at Drood a woman in her late 20s started texting and tweeting in front of me. I let it go on for a minute and then tapped her on the back and told her to shut her phone off. She said, "Oh I'm almost done." I gave her a look and told her, "Turn it off. Now." She rightly got scared and put the phone away. How's that for a manners class?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

TheGirlUpstairs Profile Photo
TheGirlUpstairs
#12Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 10:59pm

Have you ever BEEN to the theater? I'm seriously mystified by what you're proposing.

Yes, we should do something about people who willfully disrupt live performances. Most theaters still have an announcement at the beginning asking people to turn off their phones. Even if they don't, it's common knowledge (for anyone with a brain) that turning on a bright light in the middle of a dark theater is a bad idea. There's no excuse.

People don't actually need to tweet during a performance to feel "comfortable". And it's not just "traditional" theater-goers who are incredibly annoyed by phone use.

I can't wrap my mind around this thread, and I really hope you're a troll. Maybe your avatar is a clue?

NewYorkTheater
#13Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 11:24pm

Wow.
Do you not see the irony of your ad hominem attacks -- your aggressive rudeness?
Look at any manners book, and you'll see the same advice: The only person on whom you can enforce politeness is yourself.
I'll state my point once more and hope some of you calm down.
Yes, the situation now with disruptive individuals can feel intolerable. Looking at the big picture, I feel we are in a stage of transition such as routinely occurs with the introduction of new technology. There will be a solution, as there has been in the past. (Perhaps, for example, relegating phone users to an isolated area of the theater. -- or, say, coming up with a device on the back of seats that is only visible to those who use it. ) In any case, the solution is not to turn into righteous little theatrical Taliban.

Updated On: 10/20/12 at 11:24 PM

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#14Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/20/12 at 11:37pm

Twitter versus Theater?

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#15Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 7:09am

Perhaps the nickname for the back of the balcony should be changed from the cheap seats to the tweet seats?
I can't believe some people are suggesting the OP is troll this is a pertinent conversation . Personally I hate the idea of allowing cell phone use in theaters, I also hate that food is allowed in theaters, but you can't stop progress for better or worse. Personally I'd rather that a solution is found and a new industry standard set (like tweeting allowed in the rear balcony) than wait until some marketing genius at Disney realizes that there's an untapped market in Tweens dying to give thier show free advertising and have them decide to allow tweeting at all Disney shows. Imagine at Newsies for example the free publicity it would get if its young audience spent the night tweeting stuff like "OMG he just did a back flip you have 2 c this #amazing" "jack is so hot u have to see him" "they're dancing on news papers so cool" allowing constant tweeting through a show could increase a shows free publicity exponentially it's only a matter of time before some marketing director/producer decides to exploit this. Then what do you think will happen once one show decides to allow tweeting in the audience? Just like what happened with allowing food, it would start at one or two family friendly shows and eventually spill over into all theaters.

You can complain about it and hate it all you want but I'm afraid cell phone use through out a show is inevitable. I just hope that a solution that's as unobtrusive as possible is found before it's too late and it's just allowed.

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
#16Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 7:09am

Double post Updated On: 10/21/12 at 07:09 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17TROLL THREAD
Posted: 10/21/12 at 8:11am

The OP is not only a troll but also a shill.

Not only is the OP posing a question in a passive-aggressive manner intended to "upset" other posters--the very definition of a TROLL--but the OP is also directing posters to drive traffic to his own website--the very definition of a SHILL.

NewYorkTheater
#18Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 8:53am

PalJoey
The question I posed is the verbatim headline from The Guardian. Its wording is theirs, not mine.It was not my intention to upset other posters.
And yes, the link I provide is to my post that discusses the issue. I'm not sure how that makes me a "shill."
Calling me names hardly advances the discussion. Indeed, it kind of undermines the argument for the importance of etiquette, doesn't it? Rude People for Politeness?

Thank you WestCoast for your well-reasoned commentary.

Tweeting vs. Theater Updated On: 10/21/12 at 08:53 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#19Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 9:02am

If I ever see you tweeting at a show mid performance, I can guarantee you it's the last time you'll ever see that phone.

Idiot.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#20Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 9:22am

Remember Auntie T, friends.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#21Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 12:26pm

Why can't you wait until intermission or after the performance?

Now that live TV shows plaster the screen with instant tweets I can say with considerable certainty that NOTHING is being tweeted that can't wait.

Tweeting during a performance is at least as rude, disruptive and unnecessary as talking to the person beside you. Somehow most of us learned to refrain from the latter.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:24pm

Why is it that only that those that agree with your point are condidered to be giving thoughtful discussion. Ridiculous.

And you are a shill. EVERY SINGLE one of the threads you start is simply a link to your blog. (Which I find to be one of the most pretentious things I've ever looked at, and therefore do not read.)

Why do you think YOUR ideas are so progressive or even interesting?

Only borish folk think this is necessary. Giving in to that mindset is giving up. I am fairly certain that I would stop going to the theater should this become 'acceptable' or worse, "encouraged".

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#23Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:54pm

You can't charge Bway prices and allow audience disruption. I don't see live theater ever reaching the point where tweeting during a performance will be acceptable.

Maybe "tweet seats" will become a thing though, who knows?

Now if this were about movie theaters then there is a discussion to be had.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24Twitter versus Theater?
Posted: 10/21/12 at 1:58pm

Why are you all even engaging this troll?

If you are using an electronic device at any performance that I am in the audience for, I will hunt you down and ruin your life.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have to tweet or post during a live stage performance. None.

It's selfish, and self centered. If that's any ones idea of 'progress' then they have no business even going into a theatre.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Videos